Thread: Federal Ammo

Default Federal Ammo

I picked up a few boxes of federal power shock in 45/70 on sale at a local store last time I flew into town. I just opened the first box... what a disappointment. they were supposed to be loaded with 300 grain speer soft points. I figured these would make a great deer load or for the boy to burn op on paper and a cheep source of Brass. When I looked inside the box 2 of them were shorter than the others. they were loaded with some real light weight hollow points that were loose in the brass.

Woody

It sounds like you picked up a couple of boxes of someone's reloads. The bullets are probably sized .452 for use in the 45 ACP instead of being .458 for the 45-70. Are there any rub marks running the length of the brass? If you know anyone that reloads, have them look at the brass to see if it has been resized.

I've gotten in the habbit of opening the boxes of ammo and inspecting a few shells before I buy anything. I do it right in front of the clerk so he can see wwhat I'm doing. Not sure whay I started it, but it makes me fell better about what I'm buying.

Default ammo

hoghunting

I reload allot and these were not reloads. they were first run federal ammo from the factory...

chrisWillh

I should do the same thing more often. Inspecting what I buy should be on the top of my list since I live in the Bush. I only get to town about every 3 months and returns can take a long time.

Hi I got a check for the original purchase price and a real nice letter from Federal today in the mail

Woody

Default Federal Customer Service

I had a problem with a box Federal .338 High Energy. They were loaded so hot that the brass expanded to the point where I could not extract the empty casing from my rifle without pounding on the bolt. Never had that problem with Federal High Energy before, just one box. They stood behind their ammo all the way and gave me a refund with no questions asked. At least their customer service is good.

I bought a box of federal ammo for my 300 Win Mag at Sportsman's. When I opened the box at home there was a cartridge missing. Now I stand in front of the sign that says to not open the box and open the box.

Exclamation Inspection is the key to dept store shopping

Keep in mind when in a large retail shop there are unscruplous people who will do some stupid and sometimes clever things to try to save a buck or even steal.

Swapping boxes on cartridges is an easy game to play when store supervision is gone.

also some will just take out a bullet and not return it to the box.

One should remove the ammo and inspect it before purchase, because once you buy it, most retailers will not return or exchange it when it leaves the store.

After all, you did not load it so there could be faults. it's like buying eggs at the store, open the carton and look for broken eggs. If you are told you can't open the box then tell them you can't buy from them.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great