Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caves?

Default Caves?

I'm not sure where to put this, so the mods can move it to the new 'cave forum'.... heh heh

Anyhow, I like poking around caves when I can find them. I noticed several suspicious looking holes up in the Clearwaters behind the lodge. I plan on checking them out this summer. I also found some small ones in the Brooks, and SE.

Anyone have a good caving spot? Any insight or knowledge of any? Would be interesting to hear of new places to check out. Pictures would be great!

Would prefer caves with brown and fuzzies this spring, though!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default caves..

Don't have any pics, but there is a good cave up Caribou creek (Takeetna's). Looked in and saw plenty of sheep sign(beds, crap,tracks). Going up the river on the right side , almost to the upper cabins and strip. Hard to notice until you are right on it..

Sheep sure like them (caves) in the Brooks Range.
    Joe (Ak)

PM sent.....

I think you will find that most if not all of those Caves in the Clearwater Country were built by, Clarence "Tex" Greathouse. With the help of an aircompressor, rockdrill, and Dupont's Finest.

If you guys have any caves that sump (filled with water), please let me know. I'll tell ya what it looks like inside after the weather warms a bit.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

if you go through the old train tunnel in valdez there is one on the pass side prob. no bear it a pretty small entrance, also one on the left side of that glacier on the way to valdez.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I think you will find that most if not all of those Caves in the Clearwater Country were built by, Clarence "Tex" Greathouse. With the help of an aircompressor, rockdrill, and Dupont's Finest.
    Him or Shorty
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    Him or Shorty

Wow, I sure spent some nights at his cabin, hunched over, I doubt the cielings were 5'-8" high. And dark inside. We would be playing cards, and I would cut the cheese (Pass gas) and old Shorty would kick his dog, and yell at him for farting.

Default Good Stuff!

Wow, would I like to sit down with you guys and get some more history of the area. I've heard there is some old rail car tracks up behind the Gracious house on the South side. Do you know anything about what was going on there?

HuntAlaska, I'm going to check that out up Caribou this summer, If I can find the time.

Want, I hear you on the Brooks Range caves. From what little I know, that's one thing I have heard.

NW AK, great link you pm'd! I knew there was a bunch in SE, but had no idea there was that many or that they were so extensive.

AGL, that's the first I've heard the name Greathouse. I'll be doing some research now!

Phish, if I find some wet caves, I'll get ahold of you. I remember watching the Alaska Outdoors show when they went into that underwater tunnel around Cordova. That was pretty darn cool. I'd never do it myself, but it sure if interesting stuff.

AkScotty, one the cave by Valdez, could a person get into the hole?

Appreciate all the info, everyone!

Default Clarence Greathouse search

A quick seach found this article on the Windy Creek Mining. http://www.arlis.org/jrmic/docs/usbm...yCreek1596.pdf

Was from 1966. Neat stuff.

You may or may not be aware that a company called Caribou Copper out of Ontario plans to open a copper mine up Windy Creek this summer, from what I hear. They showed up in September, last fall, and widened the 14 mile road up Windy Creek, brought in a bunch of equipment, and had countless belly dumps hauling out the ore from the drilling. I think Mark Anthony is part of it. I haven't met Mark yet, but am hoping to this summer.

http://www.infomine.com/index/pr/Pa838470.PDF

Here is a cool pic of the prospect. The lodge is about 3 miles from here on the other side of the mountain. http://www.cariboucopper.com/

Claude

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    AGL, that's the first I've heard the name Greathouse. I'll be doing some research now!!

Denny Thompson built the Susitna Lodge, in 1957/1958. and He built it in advance of the Main Road Construction. Denny and "Tex" Greathouse HAND PRESSED every one of those concrete blocks to build the lodge. "Tex" was a Hard rock prospector/miner and the caretaker for the Susitna Lodge.

When Denny sold out to Rick Halford & Co. he took "Tex" to the farm in Sunnyville, WA. the following year. "Tex" Greathouse had not completed the requirements for his Federal Homestead, and he sold it to me, about 73' or 74' and I finished up the homestead requirements, and got the patent on the property on the mountain behind the Susitna Lodge.

A funny event the last year "Tex" was there; some outfitter lost one of his horses late that fall, and "Tex" found the horse near the old dump near the Lodge Airstrip. Well it was -40* and the horses penis shaft had frozen outside the penis sheath, and would not retract. So "Tex" caught the horse and took it into his cabin to warm. Well, the horse died in the cabin, and "Tex" was an old man. So he had to open all the doors and windows on the cabin, and move over to the bunkhouse at the lodge, till the horse froze solid and could be cut up with a chainsaw for removal and then he used it for trapping bait.

"Tex" and "Shorty" were typical neighbors, both friends and antagonist of each other.

Wow, would I like to sit down with you guys and get some more history of the area. I've heard there is some old rail car tracks up behind the Gracious house on the South side. Do you know anything about what was going on there? Appreciate all the info, everyone!
    I lived at Gracious for 7 years and don't know about RR tracks but there a lot of site where there were cabins. I think they were from the original Denali Creek mining around the early 1900's. There are also a lot of big stumps 24" stuf way bigger than anything you see out there now.

Where is your place Warburtons?
    Chuck

Wow, I sure spent some nights at his cabin, hunched over, I doubt the cielings were 5'-8" high. And dark inside. We would be playing cards, and I would cut the cheese (Pass gas) and old Shorty would kick his dog, and yell at him for farting.
    How about his self flushing outhouse?
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    How about his self flushing outhouse?
    I remember Rick and I landing there for a check on "Shorty" and the snow was so deep it was up to the wings when Rick stopped. We opened the cub door and snow poured into the cub. Then swim to the snowshoes attached to the struts. The snow was even with the ridgeline of "Shorty's" cabin.

I got there at the end of that era I never met Shorty but did meet his son or nephew from Oregon. Most of what I know is second hand from Butch, on & Mary, Jake Tansey, and Henry Peters and some of the other old timers around. Ricks last caretaker and I trapped and snow machined all over the country.

My wife and I went back one last year it was the same year the family froze to death over by McClaren Lodge.
    Chuck

Default Warburton?

Yes, the place I purchased was originally Ken Warburton's. He sold it to a fellow by the name of James Apone out of Anchorage in the late 90's I believe. James then had the log structure built in the early 2000's. For some reason, progress stopped, and they walked away and it sat empty till I purchased it in the spring of 08 from James. It was a shell of building, just outside doors and windows in..... Took me about 6 months to make it good enough to open the doors for the first floor. The second floor is now ready for guests, but still needs some more work, such as trim, and such....

We had Ken's nephew stay with us this summer, and he said the last time he was on the property was in 1961. He said he was living in the small green cabin while they laid the foundation for the log cabin.

Wow, I could read these stories of the area all day! The horse in the cabin is classic Alaska! lol

Was Ken Warburton also known as 'Shorty'?? If so, that would fill in some blanks.... I had heard that we was very proud of his 'flushing outhouse'. Claimed it was the only flushing toilet on the Denali Highway at the time. It all still looks like it will work, and I'll have it in service in the spring again!

Claude

Wow, I could read these stories of the area all day! The horse in the cabin is classic Alaska! lol

Was Ken Warburton also known as 'Shorty'??
    Claude

No. Shorty lived in Denali. You should research the night after the Alaska Historical Society visited the town of Denali. It was a bright night.

Ken Warburton was a retired jeweler he owned a store in Anchorage. When he retired he lived there in the summer then down in Az. during the winter. Later he got a palce in Seldovia. I'm not even sure if he is still alive. I roofed his original log cabin in the late 80's. I think that was the last time I saw him.
    Chuck

No. Shorty lived in Denali. You should research the night after the Alaska Historical Society visited the town of Denali. It was a bright night.
    Was that when his cabin burned?
    Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast