Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Rumor is that FBKS AC cancelled cow hunts

  1. #1
    Member thewhop2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,366

    Default Rumor is that FBKS AC cancelled cow hunts

    At our Mat-Su Meeting last night, the Bio's said they have heard the rumor that the Fairbanks AC did not authorize antlerless moose for this year. Anyone have the Skinny?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

  2. #2
    Member Rock_skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deltajct
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    I Know the Delta AC did this, but as far as the Fairbank's AC, I could'nt tell you.

  3. #3

    Thumbs down

    No matter. Even if they did, they will get Conned into playing the game, like the valley boys did.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member skip olsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks Alaska
    Posts
    216

    Default

    By What I Understand Is If Don Young Pushes For The Shooting Of Calfes In 20A And 20B Then The Fairbanks Ac Will Not Reauthorize The Cow Hunt

  5. #5
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default how stupid can people be?

    everybody wants "more" moose, but alas, the technology does not exist to make it "more bulls", so when you do get lots more moose, you have to kill them across the board (cows, calves, bulls...) so that the habitat doesn't get over grazed and then you have "less" moose.
    if you want swedish moose numbers, and swedish moose hunting then you need swedish moose regs.... any moose, and kill at least 1/3 of them.
    it that dam n IM law that is screwing everything up, we really need that to go.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Delta Jct, Alaska
    Posts
    992

    Default

    The change of BOG schedule required that reccommendations be sent forward before there was time to do a moose survey. Delta AC was not comfortable with reccommending further cow hunting without current data.

    If you want Swedish type moose populations and harvest, you also have to manage forests as Sweden does in order to get all that browse. Most trees are harvested in Sweden before they are twenty years old.....and Sweden wiped out most of the predators years ago....

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    18

    Thumbs down

    I think those AC members need to be looking at how many folks apply for those hunts before they start making decisions based on personal interest. Though i would never shoot a calf, i know a lot of folks that do not need a whole moose and would willing do so. besides isn't unit 20 the only GMU with a partial Prohibition on calf's?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,086

    Default calf hunts

    If you want to mimic nature, killing a calf makes more sense than killing a mature animal. That's why so many calves are born and so few make it through their first year. Think of this, you take a calf, you've taken an animal that had a good chance of dying anyway if it's a tough winter. You take a cow, she probably would have survived unless it was a catastrophic winter. Also the calf isn't going to calve this spring, but that cow probably would have one or two calves. So if you are trying to keep the population steady, killing calves makes more sense than killing mature breeders. If you are trying to reduce the herd a little, then taking a cow makes more sense. It all depends on what you are trying to do with the herd. One thing you don't want to do is kill off all the old breeder bulls before the rut. That has been proven to be a failure.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

  9. #9
    Member Phish Finder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Searching for more cowbell!
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    Calves taste good.

    The point about harvesting only mature bulls is a very good one. They are the most fit and least likely to die naturally.

    Killing the breed stock is not really the best idea.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

    "People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    413

    Default

    There is times to kill only Bulls, there is times to kill Cows, and there is times to kill Calves. it is all dependent on the Browse (carrying capacity), the overall health of the heard (are the cows healthy and twinning, or are they a bunch of old barren cows eating up the browse and not producing).

    The Biologist who has the historical data, and current data on the herd is the only ones qualified to make that determination. What the public see is what is happening in their back yard, their little area. They can not see the big picture, but how loudly they scream when they think the biologist has done something they don't see as being the correct thing in their biased opinion. When someone tries to explain it to them they refuse to accept the data, because it does not support their ideas and desires.

    The first time I heard the Biologist was suggesting shooting cows I went ballistic myself saying you don't shoot your producers! Then I went over into the area and took a good hard look. Few calves, no twins, lots of old looking barren cows with no calves. And hardly no browse left above the snow in the spring. I changed my mind, maybe the biologist has it right. We had the cow hunts, and after two years I started seeing the browse come back. The cows were having twins, and all cows had calves. At that point I went to F&G and looked at the data. I realized they had done their homework and knew what they were doing. The science was there. Yet many people in the area still feels like I did in the beginning. Why, because they have not really taken the time to go out and look at the situation with an unbiased eye. In fact the ones that scream the loudest only get out one week during hunting season. The rest of the year they don't have a clue about what is going on.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

  11. #11

    Question

    So....are the Cow/Calf Hunts going to proceed?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12
    Member Jackson's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, AK
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Akres, I believe that the BOG voted to allow cow hunts but no calves, if my memory is right.
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •