Thread: I need an education of crappers ;)

Default I need an education of crappers ;)

So I've heard this several times from various folks and wanted to see what folks with a head on board their boat thought about the utility of having one and the maintenance. I'm looking at getting a bigger boat for weekend trips or longer for my family. One thing on our list is a head. Are they worth it and if so do you find them to be alot of maintenance?

yes they are worth it. If you got women on the boat it really makes it nice for them. We have never had with any issues with our head at all.
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    yes they are worth it. If you got women on the boat it really makes it nice for them. We have never had with any issues with our head at all.

I second that. Also, a little more privacy with a crapper room vs a port a potty in a cabin will keep momma happy.

Look at all the hardware and plumbing involved with a marine head, then look at the access to all that stuff, then consider that on a boat sooner or later everything will break.

We have a head with a porta-potty in it.
    I can't come to bed right now honey - somebody on the internet is wrong.

When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer . . . " - Stevie Wonder

Check out the Sealand Marine Traveler - a lot simpler than a traditional head with separate holding tank, and way nicer than a porta-potty.

We've been cruising with one for twelve years - very nice setup.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Thank goodness my wife has no problem using the porta-potty either out on deck or in the cabin; the extra 3 feet of boat required for an enclosed head would break the bank.
    I know more than one boater who opted for just putting a porta-potty in the head; they make some really nice ones these days.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I have gone the porta-potty route and now have a head. It is low maintainence. Mine is a manual flush, not a electric, and this is fine. With a wife and kids it is well worth the space on the boat in my opinion.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Marine Head was the driving force for me when Momma decided we needed a bigger boat. I looked at the 22 and 24PC with a portapottie and she said, hell no. Needless to say, Happy Wife Happy Life, we got what she wanted.

Just one more reason to have twins!

We had a porta potty with the old hewescraft. It never left the box. Nothing like a pair of warm cowlings on the cheeks after the morning java. This worked for us for many years. All kidding aside, if you have the cabin space, a plumbed head is the way to go.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post

We had a porta potty with the old hewescraft. It never left the box. Nothing like a pair of warm cowlings on the cheeks after the morning java. This worked for us for many years. All kidding aside, if you have the cabin space, a plumbed head is the way to go.
    That pic is priceless!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post

Priceless is and under statement. I like the idea of warm cheeks on the cowling though. Looks very comfy and hell the price was right. The motors are there. glad to see someone getting the "most" out of thier outboards
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Priceless is and under statement. I like the idea of warm cheeks on the cowling though. Looks very comfy and hell the price was right. The motors are there. glad to see someone getting the "most" out of thier outboards
    I think I just decided to forgo the crapper. I'll have to show that to my wife and see what she things. Maybe even show it to the parents as I'm sure they'll spend some time on the boat as well.

Nothing like a heated toilet seat in the winter.

When I got the 24 searunner back in 2001, my father came up for a spring bear hunt out on the Sound. He told me that there was no way he would be dropping a deuce in a bucket and to buy a porta potty. I told him about our "system", but he was a bit resistant. After he saw me fire up the twins, finish my morning coffee, and proceed to utilize the throne, he became a convert. Each morning of the hunt I would awake to Dad saying "warm up the outboards, Pete!" Needless to say the porta potty stayed in the box.

Sounds perfect to me. Hope your friend knows he's famous. I'm going to definitely show that picture to my dad. Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Sounds perfect to me. Hope your friend knows he's famous. I'm going to definitely show that picture to my dad. Priceless.
    Friend and younger brother! Both my wife, mother, sister, and numerous other women have tried it. I seem to always have anchorages to myself...

I must admit, the F250's are still virgins. I might have to change that this season. For old times sake, you know.

Look up Vac-U Flush. Very compact, orderless and trouble free. We have one and love it.

SB

Default There really in a difference between us & them!

Havn't seen anything in a long time as heart? warming as that sitting between the cowling photo.

Post that down in Wasington say on the C-dory site and you'd be run out of town by the many protectionist! But here at home you get a trully warm reception.

In a discussion with an old Navy sub man once, he asked "have you ever seen a whale take a poop?" It ain't pretty he says but dilution is the solution.

Depending on boat speed, prop wash etc, he could be right on target as I can't imagine any left overs using this method. Think of the rise you'd get out of the water skiers down in Florida or somewhere where they pull a dozen of them at a time? Somebody's gonna get it, kind of a bidea roulett!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Post that down in Wasington say on the C-dory site and you'd be run out of town by the many protectionist! But here at home you get a trully warm reception.
    That is why we don't live in the lesser 48. lol.