Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70

Thread: Help on choosing a Pilot House

  1. #1
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default Help on choosing a Pilot House

    So my wife has finally come around about upgrading to a boat that more appropriately suits our situation. We are looking to upgrade to an aluminum Pilot House type boat. Requirements are that is has a cuddy, maring head, is in the 24-26ft class and is in or under the 90K ballpark. Right now I want to take her around and show her as many brands as possible so she can see what options are available. The more active I can get her in the process the better. Right now I have the following:

    Wooldridge Pilot House
    Hewescraft Pacific Cruiser
    Fish Rite Sea Storm
    Boulton Explorer

    Right now I've just narrowed this down to what I can show her here in Anchorage. I am open to other brands though. I'm also not overly interested in buying new as it will allow me to get more boat and its easier to stay within out budget. Any comments on the above brands or any suggestions on others we should look at?

  2. #2
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Congrats PatrickL on having a great wife!!! My wife was the driving force behind our boat purchase.

    Here is the link of the boat I really wanted. Its brand new and I think has been on his lot for 3 years. 2 Years ago I had him down to 99,000 but I had to get it here. Its a smoking boat, and I'm not sure what he would be willing to take for it now. 28' is allot of boat!!! Reason I didn't get it was it was about 7000 just to get it here at the time.

    http://www.redwoodmarine.com/showrecord.asp?id=803

    Maast has the 26 foot version I think!

    Wish you the best of luck!!! I ended up with an end of the year sale at deweys. 16000.00 off the spring boat show price.

  3. #3
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Congrats PatrickL on having a great wife!!! My wife was the driving force behind our boat purchase.

    Here is the link of the boat I really wanted. Its brand new and I think has been on his lot for 3 years. 2 Years ago I had him down to 99,000 but I had to get it here. Its a smoking boat, and I'm not sure what he would be willing to take for it now. 28' is allot of boat!!! Reason I didn't get it was it was about 7000 just to get it here at the time.

    http://www.redwoodmarine.com/showrecord.asp?id=803

    Maast has the 26 foot version I think!

    Wish you the best of luck!!! I ended up with an end of the year sale at deweys. 16000.00 off the spring boat show price.
    That boat was on Craigs in last 2 weeks for 89K, looks like a lot of boat for the money...!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  4. #4
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Thanks for the info. Anyone know about Raider boats? That $7K cost to ship would probably put it out of our range.

  5. #5

    Thumbs up Boulton Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    That boat was on Craigs in last 2 weeks for 89K, looks like a lot of boat for the money...!
    I saw a 26' Explorer on craig's for the same money.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

  6. #6
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    I'm not interested in the boat, but thanks for the link. I've been stumbling over how to put a head on a boat cabin I am designing and I never thought of having the head door open out towards the fish deck. I could never get it to work the way I wanted to on paper with the door opening into the cabin. Thanks
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  7. #7

    Default

    Here are a fews aluminum boats I have seen on the Anchorage Craigslist recently that could meet your requiremnts:

    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1596087248.html

    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1616021833.html

    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1616526903.html

    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1612829500.html

    A few are listed above your price limit, but you never know what the final price would be if they want to sell the boat bad enough.

    Doug

  8. #8
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Thanks for the info. Anyone know about Raider boats? That $7K cost to ship would probably put it out of our range.

    There both made in Colville Wa. I believe, the guy that owns Raiderboats use to work for Hewescraft. Allot of the same features. What had my interest is the extended transom is a continuation of the hull like Hewescraft started to do on their 22' ET a few years ago. I think its a beefier boat than the Hewescraft, but not as luxurious. If he had met me 1/2 way on the shipping, I would have bought it. Now, 10 grand less, he lost money. His loss, possibly your gain!!!

  9. #9
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm not interested in the boat, but thanks for the link. I've been stumbling over how to put a head on a boat cabin I am designing and I never thought of having the head door open out towards the fish deck. I could never get it to work the way I wanted to on paper with the door opening into the cabin. Thanks

    I didn't think you were also shopping for a boat too!

  10. #10
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Thanks for the info. Anyone know about Raider boats? That $7K cost to ship would probably put it out of our range.

    He used to build boats for Hewes, if I am not mistaken, and then opened a shop down the street. Hence the similarities. They are a utilitarian, no frills type boat. Looks to be a good value. I would want more fuel than 155 gallons, though.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  11. #11
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Thanks AKexplorer. Several of those are on my list.

    Thanks again Chico. Sure looks intriguing. It may be a little big for our life but it sure is a good deal. They use to have a 26ft on there as well. Guess its gone or Maast has it. Anyone that can tell me about them feel free to IM or post here.

    The idea of paying for a 155 gallons or more of gas sure gets my eyes open. Ouch

  12. #12
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Chico beat me to the punch!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  13. #13
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Thanks AKexplorer. Several of those are on my list.

    Thanks again Chico. Sure looks intriguing. It may be a little big for our life but it sure is a good deal. They use to have a 26ft on there as well. Guess its gone or Maast has it. Anyone that can tell me about them feel free to IM or post here.

    The idea of paying for a 155 gallons or more of gas sure gets my eyes open. Ouch
    Sorry, I almost choked on this one. Just wait until you pull up to the pumps after a nice day of fishing. Not to mention what it will take to gear a boat up. Better start a slush fund or piggy bank now before you buy it just for fuel.

  14. #14
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Thanks AKexplorer. Several of those are on my list.

    Thanks again Chico. Sure looks intriguing. It may be a little big for our life but it sure is a good deal. They use to have a 26ft on there as well. Guess its gone or Maast has it. Anyone that can tell me about them feel free to IM or post here.

    The idea of paying for a 155 gallons or more of gas sure gets my eyes open. Ouch
    If you are running twin 225 4-strokes you will be burning around 20 gallons per hour at cruise. 155 gallons won't cut it for me. I am not saying I burn that much every weekend, but I like having the reserve. If I run with all three tanks full, I carry close to 400 usable gallons.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  15. #15
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    There are reasons why I want to stay used and go with a smaller boat. That 28ft sure looks nice but I don't want the added expense of outfitting a boat. Used ones tend to come with most of your gear such as electronics, washdown, safety equipment, anchor, etc. I also have gear from my current boat for fishing and shrimping. The other thing, the fuel costs alone on a boat that big would probably prohibit us for going out as much as I really want to. I've looked at a 26 Wooly and 26 Hewes PC. The wooly is so far the most economical with the PC not too far behind. Both are in the 2.5 to 3mpg range. That 28ft has to be closer to 2mpgs or less. Sure is a nice rig though.

    Keep the ideas and opinions coming.

  16. #16
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    There are reasons why I want to stay used and go with a smaller boat. That 28ft sure looks nice but I don't want the added expense of outfitting a boat. Used ones tend to come with most of your gear such as electronics, washdown, safety equipment, anchor, etc. I also have gear from my current boat for fishing and shrimping. The other thing, the fuel costs alone on a boat that big would probably prohibit us for going out as much as I really want to. I've looked at a 26 Wooly and 26 Hewes PC. The wooly is so far the most economical with the PC not too far behind. Both are in the 2.5 to 3mpg range. That 28ft has to be closer to 2mpgs or less. Sure is a nice rig though.

    Keep the ideas and opinions coming.

    Don't believe some of the fuel burn stats and speeds posted on some of the boat sights. I was buffaloed into thinking they were hard facts. I was sadly mistaken with my Hewescraft. Played the prop test and change tango until I was somewhat satisfied with fuel burn vs cruise speed. Best advice I can give you is make sure mommas happy with what ever you buy and you will be happy, Go to the pharmacy and get the proper medication so you don't get a bad case of 2 footitis. Best of luck with your journey in finding the new addition to your family and hope she brings many happy memories.

  17. #17
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    I didn't think you were also shopping for a boat too!
    Not buying..building..which is even more crazy.

    Believe it or not, I really don't like to fish. But, I like boats. I'm designing a boat that can be towed to various locations around the U.S. I'm fascinated with exploring the Inside Passage, The Great Loop (down the Missississippi to the Gulf coast, over to Florida, up the East Coast and back to the Great Lakes), and any other water ways a 28ft prop boat will go on. It sounds like more fun than an R.V. too me when I get ready to semi-retire. 28' with an 8' beam is about as large as you can go with a trailerable boat without overwidth hassels in some states.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  18. #18
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    28' with an 8' beam is about as large as you can go with a trailerable boat without overwidth hassels in some states.
    Sounds tippy to me. What degree deadrise? Sounds like a fantastic trip.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  19. #19
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    For the hull I am strongly considering TananaBrian's design here www.glacierboats.com I already bought a set of plans, but I'm still waiting for everything to fall into place so I can build the shop to build the boat in.. It's essentially a Tollman skiff style of build, only a little bit bigger than a Tollman Jumbo. I haven't decided yet on 26,27 or 28'.

    Deadrise aft is 13.1 degrees. In the previous post I should have said 8'6", not 8'. 102" can go through almost any state I need to without restrictions.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  20. #20
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    For the hull I am strongly considering TananaBrian's design here www.glacierboats.com I already bought a set of plans, but I'm still waiting for everything to fall into place so I can build the shop to build the boat in.. It's essentially a Tollman skiff style of build, only a little bit bigger than a Tollman Jumbo. I haven't decided yet on 26,27 or 28'.

    Deadrise aft is 13.1 degrees. In the previous post I should have said 8'6", not 8'. 102" can go through almost any state I need to without restrictions.
    I have looked at his designs also. Very nice. Looks to be a fun project. I would love to see it once it is close to completion, so get on with the shop build!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •