Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meindl vs. Danner

Default Meindl vs. Danner

I am down to the final two candidates for new hunting boots. Will primarily be used for elk, caribou and eventually sheep. I know that boots are certainly a perference thing, but short of ordering both and trying them for a few days and sending the loser back (I was hoping to avoid that ordeal) I would rather hear what the masses think. My choices are Meindl Canadian (11" tall) and Danner Canadian (10" tall). The inch difference in height is not a big difference to me -- 10" is more than sufficient. The difference in insulation isnt huge either (600g vs. 200g) because I insulate primarily with socks. The two factors that I am stuck on is what I am hoping to get opinions about (and the archives do not cover my questions entirely) --

first, I want to know about the differences in the soles. The Meindls have vibram and the Danners have a bob sole. I am currently using a vibram design and slipped quite a bit on a moderate snow-covered hill this fall. My guide had Schees with bob soles and swore by them--no slips but how would bob soles fair on steep rocks associated with sheep country?

The second factor would be durability. As with any boot, I want to have the ability to abuse them and they hold up. The Meindl Alaskas are highly recommended on this site (I believe for that very reason) and I would assume the Canadians would be just as tough. However, there isnt much reading on Danner's offerings, particularly the Canadians. The price difference is about $50 which isnt a big deal either when both sets cost over $200.

I certainly would appreciate any feedback on the specific boots and Meindls and Danner quality in general.

Happy New Year

Talking both :-)

I like the danners for moose hunting because they are softer and quieter. However, my sheep hunts were devouring my danners every year. Rocks cut the stitches on the side and the bobs on the bobbed sole were getting torn off in the rocks. The bobbed sole is great for gripping the ground when climbing but the soles are soft enough that it is tough to side hill in them. I like the harder soles in the meindles when in the sheep mountains. I now have both types of boots for both types of hunting. Don't you hate answers like that?

Have you looked at Lowas? I've never had a better boot. Every set of Danners I have tried is trash compared to my Lowa boots.

-Brian

Thumbs up danners

have had a pair of danners for a few years now and have held up great,mostly hunting moose/bear.i got them with the 800 gr.and kinda regret that part for my feet get to hot.i believe that keeping them oiled up has keep them in good shape

Default Boots

I happen to own both boots mentioned, and I only wear the Miendls hunting any more. I wear the Danners when shoveling the sidewalks, or other general winter at home activities. The Danners don't have the ankle support for hunting. Just my 2 cents.

I have a pair of the Meindle Canadians, 9.5EE just about brand new for sale, they didnt fit and I was to lazy to send them back. If they fit ya, make me an offer.

Default Meindle

I have both, and just like the previous post, I used the Danner's for shoveling snow, etc., until I sold them. There is not near the ankle support, the airbob soles are over-rated, and the 600 grams of insulation is a little much for sheep hunting in my opinion. The biggest thing is the stiffness of the soles for climing, and the Meindle wins hands down. A lot less fatigue because of that one factor. Also, the Danners seemed to have a very flat footbed that does not conform to my foot very well. I would look at the Alaskan Hunters from Meindle also.

I have posted on this topic numerous times - I and my two sheep hunting sons use Meindles. I have used them (Canadian) since the 80's without regrets. One of my sons tried the Danner's - TOTALLY destroyed them in 2 hunts. Some people really like their Lowa's and the new Kenetrek may be worth researching. I have used my Meindles in the Alaska Range, Brooks, Chugach, New Zealand alps, Mongolian Altai Mts, Azerbaijan Causcas Mts. and the Kyzrgstan Pamir Mts and have no regrets. Good luck.

Seems like every person I hunt with that wears Danners has a squeak when they walk.

Don't know what it is but mine did too. Every step is squeak squeak squeak.

Danners are for the birds if you ask me. Been wearing Meindls too long to go back.

I have the meindls. I haven't tried the danners but I can't say enough about the meindls. The pair I have is the alaska hunter from cabelas. Great boots. I use the montana pine pitch from Kenetrek for water proofing works great. And the shipping for it is a lot less than from schnees.
    goldbelt

Default Meindls

I have been using Meindls on my last 6 or 7 sheep hunts. Love em, won't switch. On the other hand 2 of my hunting partners wore and swear by their Danners.

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    Seems like every person I hunt with that wears Danners has a squeak when they walk.

Don't know what it is but mine did too. Every step is squeak squeak squeak.

Danners are for the birds if you ask me. Been wearing Meindls too long to go back.
    My Danners were squeaky, too. A guide friend rolled his eyes when we went hunting a few years back saying that because of my boots, we'd never sneak up on anything. I wasn't even wearing them at the time.

I might eliminate a model or even a brand because of some feature I didn't care for, but I'd never decide which boots to buy until I tried them on.

I recently retired my Danners (which served me very well) and replaced them with Lowas. My feet are very happy.

Danner's are quality boots. Well made and durable--my 14 year old Acadias are on their 3rd set of soles--but they are NOT sheep boots. No heel counter, no rigid midsole, no box toe.

Meindl's are arguably the best mass produced all-leather mountain boot but they are not a trail or walking boot.

You say you want 1 do-it-all boot...sorry no such animal. If its to be only one boot then compromise...buy the boot that suits your greatest passion i.e. sheep or elk and suck it up when hunting the other. Or, do what the rest of us have done, buy different types of boots to cover the range of the conditions you will hunt in.

There's no cheap way out of taking care of your feet

I have owned both and to be honest, I would not buy either one again. For me, the Danners held up longer and better than the Meindels but in the sheep mountains neither would hold up for long. I owned 2 pairs of the Meindels and both fell apart within days of using them. My next pair of boots will be the Lowa Sheephunters as they have received rave reviews from everyone I know that owns them.

Default Danners

My Danner Rainforests have served me very well over the years. However, sheep mountains did tend hammer them to the point of only getting 2 years out of them instead of 6 or 7 years. Sliding down steep scree fields tended to make small scrapes in the sides and after a couple of years of that, they would need replacing.

I then upgraded to the Super Rainforests and haven't looked back. The Super's have more ankle support and the leather is twice as thick as the regular Rainforests. I'm going on my 4th year of very heavy use and they are still as good as new - okay so maybe they don't look it, but they still have the support and waterproofness that they came with.

As mentioned earlier, the Meindles aren't a good hiking/trail boot, whereas the Danners are perfect. I use the same pair of boots for all of my training, hiking, and hunts. The Rainforests have a deep lug Vibram sole with a right-angle heel that works much better than the Air-Bob style soles.

On a side note, my brother has one sheep hunt and some training hikes on his Meindle Canadians after having used Rainforests and Super Rainforests. He needed and likes the additional support, but admits that they are pretty stiff for a lot of our Southeast climbs. We'll see how they do in the next few years.

Good luck.

--Shawn

I think everyone has thier own opinion about boots....

I wore Danners for several years, after trying several different pair I liked the Super Rain Forest model the best.

However Danner is NOT in the same league as Lowa's or Meindl boots.

Here goes that opinon thing again....to really be fair I think a guy should compare to similar quality boots, like Lowa & Meindl.

I wore Danner boots for about 10 years, wore out and threw away 4 pairs. At the time I thought they were the best boot.
    Then I switched to Lowa boots 6 years ago, I still have the same boots and have been wearing them for 6 years. I actually have 2 pairs now. The comfort & support is un-parralled to any other boot I'm familar with.

I prefer the Lowa boots, however a couple of hunting buddies swear by the Meindl boots. I don't know anyone, and have never seen a pair of Danners, that will hold up to 1/2 of the abuse of the other two, or know of any Danner boot that will give the suppport & comfort of the Lowa or Meindl boots.

i wear mendials (spelling?) and i'll go thru a pair a season, thats about three hunts in the mountians for me, i'm rough on foot gear for some reason, maybe the shape of my foot i don't know, but i'll go thru and pair of cabela's outfitter series leather boots in one hunt. I love my mendiels (man i can't remember how to spell that...) canadan hunters i think they are from cabela's great support and great sidehilling boot yet i can walk the flat ground forever with them too. last season they started to leak in three days of straight rain and water, we'll see how this next pair is, so far its been ok. but if this pair goes gunny up, i'll be looking into something new.
    i had cabela's old style ankle fit hip boots last on more sheep and goat hunts than leather boots do...figure that one out.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Lowa's

Byron,

I'm curious about the Lowa's...what type of foot do you have? (i.e. flatter/wider, high arch, or somewhere between)?

What model do you like?

How do they do in VERY wet climates?

--Shawn

Default boots

I have tried several boots including Cabelas and Danners. It seemed to me the soles always waore funny and the thinsulate lining in the Danners bound up. Two years ago i spent the extra money and bought a pair of Lowas all i can say i do it. They are great. However it did seem to take a little longer to break them in. I wear a size 11 and have a fairly wide foot. I had to get a pair of 11and a halfs to fit right. Barneys had them in stock and i highly recomend them. They are stiff yet flexible and the soles really grab nice. My opinion Chef

Thumbs up Meindl Boots

I have personally wore the meindl for the past 15 years and I wound not buy another boot other than Meindl. They will outwear 2 pairs of your Danners and still be worthy of another good 30 mile sheep hunt. Comfortable and almost completely waterproof for the first 2 to 3 years, ankle support and soles are number one in my book and these boots have it all. Go Meindl all the way and you''ll have no regrets. I've only found one weak spot on the boots that I've owned, and that was the eyelets, the older hook and lace style would sometimes snap off even with the boot, small sacrifice though for a quality ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast