Thread: When to cut?

Default When to cut?

So how early should (or can) you get your gun dog snipped?

Nowadays......3 to 4 months.

Recently my vet recommended I wait until 12 months. He said it helps reduce potential joint problems for the dog later in life. If I had a dog with behaviour 'issues' that snipping would help on - I'd be inclined to do it as soon as poosible though.

My wife and I are waiting until Biscuit has had her first heat cycle, and then we'll fix her. We want her to go through doggie puberty though so she can develop the characteristics of her sex more before we cut stuff. I know it sounds a bit strange, but we are strange so it makes sense.

JP

If you are going to get her spayed, I would do it before her first heat cycle. This reduces the risk of breast cancer later in her life by over 99%. The more heat cycles she goes through, the less the risk is reduced by spaying. Just a thought!

KKY2AK, welcome to the forum.

Roll Tide!!!

I had my dog snipped around 8 months. I didn't get her till 7months though. My vet said the same about cancer troubles. Some dogs can come into heat around 6mo old.

I probably shouldn't have had my dog snipped, perfect example of the breed, pure bread, and just a natural born hunter. But I didn't feel like dealing with it when I got her so had it done. No regrets and will make for a healthier hunting buddy.

What dog are you getting or did get?

while many vets still try to get owners to alter their dogs at a young age, it has been shown it is best for the dog's physical development to wait until they are about a yr to yr and a half old. Best for females to go through a heat cycle or two (helps prevent bladder problems down the road)....

The only reasons I'd alter a dog are if I could not keep the dog contained, or for health reasons (including temperment). Had incontinent females and it was no fun for them or me..

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!