Thread: 500 Yard Range

Default 500 Yard Range

I'm looking for a place near Fairbanks where I can shoot out to 500 yards. Will leave the land as I find it, will clean up after myself and others. Would be very limited, want to refine a few loads and zero a long range scope. Willing to pay to access private land. Please send me a PM if you know of a location.

Since you're retired military, you could check with Combat Arms Training and Maintenance (CATM) on Eielson. They've got a substantial range and it is open to those who can access the base, with some caveats. They don't have a regular schedule that I know of, except just before moose season. I don't have their number off the top of my head, but you can call the base operator at 377-1110 and get put through.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Steve, there are a couple of options. Ft. Wainwright Range control has a range that goes out to 600 yards that you can use. You have to watch a safety video to get certified, but it's a nice range and it's close, but it's subject to unavailablity due to military training. It's fine if you don't mind dealing with range control procedures. I've shot there multiple times and it wasn't bad, but Eielson is a better range, that is far less PITA to deal with.

The Eielson range is fantastic! You can shoot way out there. It's located at the base of the hill on Quarry Road, just before you go up to enter the training area. It's open most saturday mornings and in the winter you shoot from a heated indoors to outdoors. It's open most Saturday mornings from 1000-1400(?) if the military isn't using it. The gun club provides the safeties. In the summer time, they shoot on Wednesday evenings and Saturdays.

wonder if theres any places around the mat-su i can do 500 yards+

Release Lake Trout

Default Gun club on Eielson

The gun club used to be called "21 Gun club" on base and you can shoot after hours, they used to meet once a week on Wednesdays, and anexcellent range with almost endless distances. I've seen guys bring out their .50 cal. BMG's and shoot . Not sure how they are running now, or if they are still going.

For those that are military or retired or DOD civilian here around Anchorage or the valley, you can get a card and shoot at Ft Richardson range, they also have long range shooting, just need to watch a 10 min. video to get your card, cost nothing too. You just have to sign in each time, and show your card, your allowed to bring one guest. They are open after hours and weekends in the summer.

Hunt-n-Fish,

Taking Stid's wonderful sense of land stewardship into account, perhaps you can locate the Cameo Rd exit off the Point McKenzie Rd via a Mat-Su map. Drive down Cameo until you find shot-up-beyond-belief bunkers. Here is one of them:

There are thousands of spent shells and casings available!