Thread: solar panals best bang for the buck

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Default solar panals best bang for the buck

Im looking for any information i can get on solar panals. I would like to buy some for the cabin. I do have a small battery bank. I have 4 L-16s there 6 volt and ihave them wired for 2 12 volt systems when one runs down i switch to the other set. I would like to run the cabin on solar panals when it is light out and also be able to charge the batterys for when it gets dark. I dont use that much electricity A few lights satellite tv dvd player.
    I would say maybe 1300 wats max. I do have 2 2000 wat honda generators. My ?? is what would be the best way to do it they have so many diferent kind and wattage of panals. Ive been looking at the 170 to 210 panals. Any thought on the best way to do this would be great Is there a place to get solar panals that are at a reasanable price.....

We got our from New England Solar the guys there really take the time to find out your needs and help you get a set up that will work for you. They didn't try to push stuff off on you that you didn't need. The shipping kind of offset their prices though.
    Chuck

Default Solar

I'm working on setting up the solar panels I have for the lodge. I have 6, and all the accessory hardware, but I'm looking at adding several more in the spring, once I get an engineer to tell me how many I need to be able to shut the genny's off most of the day. I contacted BP Solar, who is one of the largest solar panel maker in the world and just got a contact name yesterday. I haven't made contact yet, but will in the next few days or so.

I'm not sure where they are out of, but being the largest manufacturer of them should get some better pricing, I hope!

Contact details here:
    Bryan Martin
    Ameresco Solar LLC
    951-600-1130

Good Luck and let me know what you find out, and I'll do the same.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Build your own!

Check out Ebay for the individual solar cells. There are often "seconds" for sale at deep discounts. These seconds are usable; it seems like they usually have chipped corners or something similar that is more of a visual defect than anything. There is tons of information on the internet about how to wire the cells and build the panels. I've never done this, but I have researched it a bit. It looks easy to build them and would be much cheaper than purchasing new, especially for the small load requirements that you have.

Northern tool has some packages. I don't know what their shipping is like though. Also, the Schuck's/Oreily's in Wasilla had some for a reasonable price. They are made for RV's but it is pretty much the same setup you looking for.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_770399+6228
    That's what she said...

You can also look into the Alternative Energy Store, they have a bunch of info on the site including a electrical use calculator:

http://www.altestore.com/store/

Good info and they offer wind turbines, hydro gens and some other things too.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Thanks everyone for the info. Looks like there is alot of option's out there.
    I checked out the links and now i know what i need.
    Thanks

AIH in Wasilla has a small selection of Solar Panels and related items

Northern Arizona Wind and Solar is a great source of info and has good prices on stuff. They have two websites, one is just info, the other is their store. Even after shipping (you can ask them to ship US Postal Service if it isn't too big) they have some of the best prices.