Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: steelhead gender ID

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    119

    Default steelhead gender ID

    steelhead season is about to kick into full gear here in Michigan. ive fished for them infrequently over the last few year, and caught my fair share. ive always fished with other, more experienced people, and right off the bat they can tell me if a particular fish is a male or female. what are the main physical differences for male and female steelhead?

  2. #2
    Member Alaskanmutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    947

    Default The females wear skirts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gibbs View Post
    steelhead season is about to kick into full gear here in Michigan. ive fished for them infrequently over the last few year, and caught my fair share. ive always fished with other, more experienced people, and right off the bat they can tell me if a particular fish is a male or female. what are the main physical differences for male and female steelhead?
    And lipstick

  3. #3
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,319

    Default

    The length of the lower jaw is the most easy identifying feature.
    The females have a more rounded head with a shorter lower jaw and smaller mouth while the male has a more pointed head with longer lower jaw and bigger mouth.

    This is a nice hen.



    And here's a big buck.



    They characteristics show even on small first run steelhead not just the big guys. It's just more noticible as they get bigger.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    The length of the lower jaw is the most easy identifying feature.
    The females have a more rounded head with a shorter lower jaw and smaller mouth while the male has a more pointed head with longer lower jaw and bigger mouth.

    This is a nice hen.



    And here's a big buck.



    They characteristics show even on small first run steelhead not just the big guys. It's just more noticible as they get bigger.
    excellent. thats exactly what i was looking for. its easy to see when they are side by side.

  5. #5
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Bucks have Kypes, Hens Don't
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  6. #6
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    i have found that i can actually taste the difference.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  7. #7
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i have found that i can actually taste the difference.
    Blastphemer!!!!! There's a special place in hell for people like you!!!!
    I suppose you like baked musky steaks too!!!!!

  8. #8
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    What is a musky?

    Damm Cannucks.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

  9. #9
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Wink AK Pedantic Monkey strikes again...

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Bucks have Kypes, Hens Don't
    Kype is a fancy word alright... but it's not capitalized. Nor would "hens" or 'don't" be in the context you used them.
    And I don't think it is correct to say "bucks have kypes" because they only have one. So properly it would be "bucks develop a kype (singular)"













    where's my $5?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  10. #10
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    What is a musky?

    Damm Cannucks.
    There are muskies in more states than provinces you unedumacated bumkin!!!!

    http://waterandwoods.net/2009/05/basic-muskie-fishing/

    Muskies are a game fish native to North America. Their distribution historically was limited to about 8 or 10 Midwestern and northeastern states and a couple of Canadian provinces. Within the last quarter century wildlife agencies have begun stocking true muskellunge and, in particular, hybrid muskies in their waters. Today thirty-five of the lower forty-eight states have active muskie stocking programs, many with record class muskies and fishable populations.


    The US has more musky, we just have bigger ones!!!


  11. #11
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    nice hair...
    what's that pic,like 30 years old?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  12. #12
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    nice hair...
    what's that pic,like 30 years old?
    1988 actually, and it's not me. I have the same amount of hair now as I had back then (not enough!!).

  13. #13
    Member Phish Finder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Searching for more cowbell!
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post


    You should never have sex with a Musky like dave is doing here.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

    "People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

  14. #14
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    What is a musky?




    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    There are muskies in more states than provinces you unedumacated bumkin!!!!



    Muskies are a game fish native to North America. Their distribution historically was limited to about 8 or 10 Midwestern and northeastern states and a couple of Canadian provinces. Within the last quarter century wildlife agencies have begun stocking true muskellunge and, in particular, hybrid muskies in their waters. Today thirty-five of the lower forty-eight states have active muskie stocking programs, many with record class muskies and fishable populations.


    The US has more musky, we just have bigger ones!!!


    I love the fact that you actually answered this. Talking slow doesn't mean thinking slow. You are my favorite cannuck by far
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

  15. #15
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I love the fact that you actually answered this. Talking slow doesn't mean thinking slow. You are my favorite cannuck by far
    I just felt the need to call you names there Sparky!!!

  16. #16
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    You should never have sex with a Musky like dave is doing here.
    Beer out the nose on that one. The visual did not help one bit
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •