Thread: Ed Brown Model 704 Controlled Feed action

Default Ed Brown Model 704 Controlled Feed action

Just when I thought I knew that I wanted a Mauser style CRF action, I find another option. Ed Brown is offering an action that has 3 position safety, CRF in Remy Style. McMillan is also offering a custom with the same action. Anyone have any experience with these.

Maybe the Ed Brown Damara
    http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlo...81659917331990

Might be a CRF action but it still has the "Remington box" style trigger on it. For that reason I would pass on it for an Alaskan rifle.
    Never owned one of Eds newer rifles but did own one awhile back and wasnt very impressed by the quality.
    Tennessee

hehehe I like your style! I was on this exact same journey some time back
    O yeah they sure look like a fine rifle.
    Although I did not go down their road, one day I just might.

There are some M98 features that you will not find on most brands, including the fine Pre-64 Model 70(my 64 mountain rifle being built up ATM). 'Safety Shoulder on Firing Pin'. This is basically a very important safety feature missed by most, except Mauser!
    Checkout this link. Heard they are not as great as Satterlee, but nevertheless, a fine rifle!

http://www.empirerifles.com/Empire%2098%20Actions.htm

I like the Liberty Rifle field grade.

http://www.empirerifles.com/Liberty.htm

I guess we have different ideas of what a CRF action looks like? If we have the same idea of what a push feed looks like then we are half way their. Juse buy your slf a 76 action and be down with it. You will spend a lot less money in the long run and get extacly whatyou want for action size, have it installed by a top barrels fitter, get the stock done by the best of fiber glass stock maker and fitter, pick the scope you want to screw on and be just as happy as you can get.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I have an Ed Brown Express Rifle in .375 H&H, and it is an excellent rifle. Everyone has their favorites, but if you go with an Ed Brown, it will become your favorite. Good luck!

Default semi-custom

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I guess we have different ideas of what a CRF action looks like? If we have the same idea of what a push feed looks like then we are half way their. Juse buy your slf a 76 action and be down with it. You will spend a lot less money in the long run and get extacly whatyou want for action size, have it installed by a top barrels fitter, get the stock done by the best of fiber glass stock maker and fitter, pick the scope you want to screw on and be just as happy as you can get.
    Yep, Kinda agree with Big Al on this one. I put pencil and paper to some rough numbers comparing the Brown to a semi custom, first rate rifle. Options could include the most expensive part a Dakota 76 action, add a Krieger or Shilen barrel, Mc. stock, then have a good gunsmith put it together for less than the Brown. Or, you could scrounge up a beater Win 70 CRF (pre-64 or classic), use the action and end up saving another ton of $. Just some thoughts.

Default How about a Montana Rifle Company Action?

The MRC has all the features of a Model 70. Plus a slightly longer magazine, a one piece floor plate and the old style trigger.

Yah, There are at least a couple of Win 70 similar actions out there. Interesing about the "Brown" bolt is that the basic design looks suspiciously like the Winchester CR-PF hybrid that showed up not long before Winchester shut the doors at the New Haven factory??? Now, in regards to the spiral "lube auger" flutes on the Brown bolt... no clue as to real functionality. Think I'm being wacky about the lube auger thing? I read a write-up about or in Brown's own ad that the flutes would distribute lube along the bolt body. Hmmm