Thread: carbs sticking wide open

Default carbs sticking wide open

I have a 1994 skidoo summit with a 1995 583 MXZ motor with carbs. I had a problem with them sticking wide open up at turnagain this last weekend. One time I was in the powder climbing and they stuck, then I was going up to the parking lot on packed trail and they stuck. I can not figure it out. The other problem is it is very hard to start even after riding it for awhile. I have to crack the throttle a bit and yank on it about 5 to 10 times before it will slowly fire up!

Default carbs

To mee just sounds dirty, try cleaning them out. make sure you use some good carb cleaner, I take them off and let then sit in carb cleaner over night, and it worked for my sled when i had a 583. That is a great motor. Specifiacally check the floats, they can make that starting problem a bear if they are a little sticky. Also check out DOOTALK.com Tons of experince over there!!

Your motor should quit if the throttles stick and you're not squeezing the thumb paddle. Did it quit? What did you do so that it would restart?

Check your throttle cable.

Ski-doo doesn't use a throttle safety switch like Polaris or Cat. That is why they have always had a tether on their machines. Always wear your tether! Stuck throttles are not good and can hurt someone.

Early season snow seems to always cause havoc with carbs icing up. Sounds to me that they are simply icing up and sticking the slides. Specially if it requires a little throttle to start even when warm. The smallest passages ice up first which means your idle circuit and low speed circuits in the carbs clog up causing a rich condition. I'm guessing the machine wasn't idleing very well either and that is ussually the first signs of icing. Another clear sign, if it is bad enough, will be the carbs coated in a frosty ice layer on the outside.

Carry some Iso-Heet with you and if they stick real bad again you can unscrew the top of the carbs and drip some of this over the slide and in the top of the carb with the slide removed. Another good trick is to tape off the hood vents to keep the engine compartment warmer to keep things thawed out. Keep in mind that if you are icing the carbs on the inside you might be sucking a little snow into the intake and should take a look for any leaks where snow could be sucked in. Sometimes it may just be the right temp and humidity combination to ice things up. What I do if my machine ices up is to close all the hood vents and try to get the engine up to temperature either by standing there keeping it idleing or putt around a bit. Then I shut it off and keep the hood closed. If it's not real bad it'll thaw itself out in about ten minutes.

Keep in mind these tricks are for liquid cooled machines only. Fan cooled sleds are a bit different to resolve icing problems. By the way, the ol' 583 motor is one of the most rock solid engines I've ever owned. Have fun and be safe!

I didn't know. That's alarming. Even worse since I rode a Rev for a season and never used a tether.

I've seen a couple of stuck throttle snowmachines destroy themselves, literally. I think I'll go inspect my safety switches while we're talking about it!

Talking throttle

Thank you for all the info on the carbs! will update on my progress!

Default throttle cable

i had posted about cable on wrong thread,a good trick for sticky cables is injecting cable houseing with anifreeze

Thumbs up

Found out my problems with my carbs sticking. All the powder was getting in and causing mist to form and freezing up my slides. Going to build a shrowd around my motor with sheet metal to keep the heat on the carbs. Took a old exhaust heat riser tube off a ford and built a sheet metal shrowd around the exhaust and placed the tube so it would send heat from the exhaust to the carbs also! if this does not work, going to be a great boat anchor LOL! Taping off all holes from the hood, liquid cooled motor no worrys on over heating this time of year!
    Last edited by sledhead; 01-06-2007 at 14:53. Reason: mispelling of words MY BAD TEACHER

That's what the fine powder mesh covers for your air box filter are for, they work good.

Thumbs up

it wasnt the fine mesh not being on the air box! it was the hole in the cowling up by the belt area and on the other side! sealed those up and has no problems now! The other hole was up front! on summit when you loose your bumper and the lil fiber pieces it leavs a gap up front had to seal it after crashing a few days agao (MY BAD NEED MORE SPEED TO CLEAR THE WHOLE ROAD)
    SlEdHeAd

Thumbs up

man what a totally diffrent machine after installing some heat exchanger tubes from exhaust to the carbs and sealing the cowling abit! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRiPPPPPPPPP roaring fun!!!!!!!!!!!
    SlEdHeAd

Default Carb solution

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    man what a totally diffrent machine after installing some heat exchanger tubes from exhaust to the carbs and sealing the cowling abit! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRiPPPPPPPPP roaring fun!!!!!!!!!!!
    Any chance you could get a few pics of what you did i had the same problem on my sled and i would like to see your rig job on the carbs to keep them warm
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Back when several of my friends had mid-nineties Summits they all had vinyl fabic cowl bras. None of them ever had a problem with their carbs freezing. Perhaps that's why SkiDoo made the cowl covers.

I will take some pics of rig job on my summit! as far as the bra goes I did not know of the bra! I tell you this once the cowling holes were sealed up and put a heat exchanger tube off a old ford on the exhaust it made the world of diffrence! You can watch the snow melt and slide rite off the cowling! The vents up front are open with screens but have duck tape in truck with a power inverter with a hair dryer just in case!!!
    SlEdHeAd