Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish antibiotics for human use.

Default Fish antibiotics for human use.

Turns out that fish antibiotics are the same pills as the generics that are sold to Costco, Walmart, etc. Not the same formula - the same PILLS.

They're available over the counter from vet/fish stores with no prescription, you can get: Ampicillin, Cephalexin, Ketoconazole, Penicillin, Amoxicillin, Erythromycin, Metronidazole, Tetracycline, Doxycycline (bird antiobiotics section) and Sulfamethoxazole.

They're inexpensive compared to what you'd pay at the drugstore.

I've added eight hundred doses of an array of these to my just-in-case survival cache, I've also added the books "Where There Is No Doctor", "Wilderness Medical Society Practice Guidelines for Wilderness Emergency Care 5th edition", "The Handbook of Antibiotics" and a comprensive medical kit.

A member of a survival board did in-depth research:
    http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=76377

An example of where to get them:

http://www.medi-vet.com/fish.aspx

http://www.medi-vet.com/cat-Amoxicillin-199-1.aspx

I thought I'd pass this along, along with the warning:

IF YOU DONT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOURE DOING WITH ANTIBIOTICS - DONT ADMINISTER THEM!!! You could kill somebody, or breed a resistant strain of bacteria.

I've had a good bit of first responder training and I wouldnt administer antibiotics without checking the references first.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Yes, you can get antibiotics through vet suppliers. Yes, they are identical to the ones that we prescribe for people.

While having some emergency stock isn't a bad idea, the "magic pill" value of antibiotics is way overrated. I'd call 800 doses a little overboard for most folks.

My suggestions to building an emergency stock of any prescription medication...

1- Review the known drug allergies of everyone in your household. Don't stock anything that anyone is allergic to. Especially look at the sulfas & cillins for allergies.

2- Pick very few types of anitbiotics to stock. You don't need some of everything on the market. First choice is Keflex (cephalexin) as it has very low side-effects and is a wide-spectrum antibiotic. Do not keep Keflex for more than 1 year beyond the expiration date. It does go bad. Second choice is Augmentin (amoxicillin) for a wide-spectrum. You can take care of most anything that will come up with those two. The others you might consider are Erythromycin and Septra (sulfamethoxazole) as long as there are no sulfa allergies.

3- Print out the entire drug card for each medication from a reputable source such as rxlist.com and keep that info stored with the drug.

4- Keep the bottles with the original seal in tact and store in a dry, dark, and cool place. Monitor the expiration dates and replace stock as it expires, though for emergency use many of these drugs can be used beyond the expiration date. I wouldn't suggest pushing the date any further than 1 year as long as it was stored correctly.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Dogs

i tuk mey dogs glucoosmine for 2 yars and tit ahds kno afecss.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thanks Joat!, great followup post.

The 800 doses is due mainly to the 250mg pill size limitation on the Amoxicillin and Cephalexin of which the bulk of my cache is. I also stocked up on the sulpha and Metronidazole (for giardia). That and they were cheap enough that I figured if I needed trade goods they'd be a high value low volume item.

I didnt stock any of the tetracyclines as they're the only one that can become toxic after it expires, all the rest just lose potency over time.

In general for every 10 degrees below 70 the storage life is doubled, so storing in near freezing temps should provide a good 10 years of storage for unopened bottles.

I couldnt find any data for below freezing storage.
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    I couldnt find any data for below freezing storage.
    Many drugs are ruined by freezing. Don't freeze medications. Store them at 40-50°F if you have the ability, but don't forget dry & dark. UV light also ruins medications and moisture definetely does. A sealed bottle shouldn't have moisture problems, but even a solid white pill bottle will let some light through the plastic.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Non-liquid drugs are viable FAR past the nominal expiration dates on the original bottle, despite not being in refrigerated storage.

The military had the FDA do a study on their stockpiled drugs, the found that water-purification tablets and mefloquine hydrochloride (for malaria) do actually expire on the labeled date, but most everything else is fine years past its original expiration date - ciprofloxacin is especially stable and has been found to last 12 years at room temperature.

http://www.terrierman.com/antibiotics-WSJ.htm

Add refridgerated storage and you'll have a viable cache for 10 years+

After work I went to the Carrs pharmacy and asked the pharmacist what freezing would do to Amoxicillin and Cephalexin, she said "nothing, the powders in them are made by freeze-drying a solution and freezing wouldnt change the chemical composition, however if water condensed on the pills it might damage them, if they're in the original sealed container it shouldnt be a problem.

Good enough for me, I'm heat sealing mine in a aluminized mylar bag with oxy and water absorbers and putting them in the freezer.
    "Dominion"

Default This may sound a bit off the wall

and bother some pharmisists but .
    Colloidial silver is very easy to make , just about on demand, though it is made in distilled water and of course it will freeze , it won't effect the silver except that it will settle to the bottom of what ever you are storing it in when it thaws. Shake it up again and vola.
    It is significantly better than drugs and other antibiotics, because the germs don't have a chance to develop an immunity, they are sufficated .
    It can be used topically and internally .
    Don't take my word for it ask other people who use it as well . check it out on line. If you are interested ,I can telll you how I make it , and I have been very successful for several years sence I had discovered it .
    I do not have aids but I am told that colloidial silver is called the second immune system . There is a greeat deal of history concerning silver you should read it .
    I ahve used it for '
    dogs illnesses and road rashes to my own injuries and illnesses with spoiled food and the flu and colds and such .
    Having been a mechanic I like to disprove a theory , and getting cut a lot working on boats and machinery it was easy to do a test on my self , and the silver treated cuts and burns heal FIRST.
    I've cut my self to the bone on one finger and used the silver and super glue and everything but nerves have healed in record time .
    A couple of cautions
    you can put it on the fishes scales for bacteria deseasees, but don't put any significant amounts of it in the water because it will kill the bacteria he lives on. I know it sounds funny but that's just what i am told . secondly ,Horses , It is quite ok to use it On injuries, but be aware that if you put it in the water they drink , it will kill the bacteria they use to digest food . Humans have some ecoli in our digestive system and if one has used a lot of silver It is advisable to eat some yogert to replace the bacteria in that part of the digestion. But personally I havent had any problems either way , this is just what I have been told .
    Friends and family all enyoy the colloidial silver I make they all know it makes a difference for them selves.

Exclamation

We commonly use silver sulfadiazine as a topical antibiotic for some wounds, especially burns. However, silver formulations should never be taken internally. Heavy metals are poisonous.

Here's some light reading...

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery.../silverad.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/col...silver/AN01682

Arsenic will kill bacteria too. But no one would be foolish enough to think that drinking it would be a good treatment for an internal bacterial infection.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Moderators?!?

Over the last week I've reported every one of the above SPAM posts. They are all still here. What gives? Is SPAM considered OK if you only post it once per day?

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default The Mods must be AWOL!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Over the last week I've reported every one of the above SPAM posts. They are all still here. What gives? Is SPAM considered OK if you only post it once per day?

I've also reported them. I think the moderators are AWOL?

Quote Originally Posted by overthehill View Post
    I've also reported them. I think the moderators are AWOL?
    Yup, I just got back home yesterday, been gone 10 days. Nuked the spammer today after JOAT pm'd me.

And I think the varmint must now have the standing record for the longest survival time of a spammer on this site! Though at one post per day, I doubt he's made his sales quota for the week either.

Thanks for the house cleaning!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default I have never suffered any adverse effect from silver

If you abuse penicillian you will suffer serious effects as well as other drugs , A fool can dround him self in water , it doesn't make the water bad the stupidity does.
    Teh medical community doesn't like silver because they don't make money on it . I have cured cats and dogs from distemper, as well as many other illnesses. Of course abuse will cause a problem eating too much and not excersizing will kill you too , does that stop you from eating ?
    Far as I am concerned the medical community, is no different than the legal community; both fraudulant, using the system to bleed the public.
    Doctors don't make money on healthy people nor do lawyers make money on those who forgive their neighbor,and except the responsibility for their own stupidity.
    Keep in mind it was the medcical community that developed and released AIDS . never for get that .

Thumbs down

No one makes any money on penicillin. It is cheaper than vitamins.

We, the medical community, had nothing to do with AIDS. AIDS is caused by a natural virus that mutated over time; just like all viruses do. Your claim that we "developed" a virus has shot down any credibility you might have otherwise had.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    Keep in mind it was the medical community that developed and released AIDS . never forget that .
    I agree with Joat- you just lost any credibility you may have had.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default It's been a lot of years ago

But i remember when the first reports came out , they had been expirimenting on monkies in Africa, and released them into the wild and that is how it was introduced .
    Believe whom you wish , credibility .
    credibility comes from the personal decision to know something about your own body and not merely leave things to a professional community that may or may not have your best interest at heart.
    I have had enough dealings with the medical community in my 59 years helping friends with their own medical problems, I do not trust them.
    I have rarely been to a doctor or dentist , I take care of my self .
    I work for a pharmicudical manufacturer, they make prosthetics for the body but they do not promote prevention to their emploiees or the community. In fact the snack machines at work are the cr#$ that promote heart desease.
    So fine , credibility, individual offers free advise /corpration takes advantage of your ignorance. you choose.

Arleigh-

There's a difference between a zoonotic (can be transmitted from animal to human) virus and one that is created by man. AIDS may well have come from monkeys but that would mean it's not man made, wouldn't it? Just sayin'. Have a nice day.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I buy antibiotics at my local feed store for a tenth of what a drug store charges.
    Ted Kennedy’s car has killed more people than my gun!

Hey I know its been a long time since anyone posted on this thread, but it is some of the best info. I could find, so i'm not sure if anyone will respond to this or where the best place is to post this. But I want to buy a few fish antibiotics... for my "fish" and saw a website and wanted to know if anyone had heard of it or had experience with them at all. The website is fishmoxfishflex.com

thanks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by moopers View Post
    Hey I know its been a long time since anyone posted on this thread, but it is some of the best info. I could find, so i'm not sure if anyone will respond to this or where the best place is to post this. But I want to buy a few fish antibiotics... for my "fish" and saw a website and wanted to know if anyone had heard of it or had experience with them at all. The website is fishmoxfishflex.com

thanks
    Nice try moopers. Gee I wonder if you are in any way affiliated with that website? hmmm.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast