Thread: Cz 527

Default Cz 527

Anyone have any experience with the CZ 527, was doing a comparison between various short action rifles and from my reading the CZ seems like a good quality rifle, accurate and a good price too. What do you all think of this rifle? Thanks

Oh yes. I've owned a few and have had good experiences with them all. I have used them in the carbine version in 223 and 7.62x39, and the full sized rifle in 223, 222, 221 Fireball and 22 Hornet. Also the HS Precision stocked 223 Varminter is a tack driver. I don't like the way the magazine sticks out below, I wish they would make a box magazine with a hinged floor plate but Just about everything else is fine with me. My grand kids love 'em too.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've borrowed one from a friend in 17-223 and it seemed fine.

I find the backwards safety (moving rearward to fire) distracting though. Not really an issue if you were used to it.

Thanks Murphy, been thinking that the CZ 527 Varmint rifle with Kevlar stock in caliber 223 would be a good seal hunting rifle for out here on the Bering Sea coast. My seal hunting partners have Remington 700 varmint rifles in 223 but I am leaning toward the CZ. Do you know if there are any aftermarket magazines which don't extend out, or a magazine floorplate that can be switched out with the factory one? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've borrowed one from a friend in 17-223 and it seemed fine.

I find the backwards safety (moving rearward to fire) distracting though. Not really an issue if you were used to it.
    Didnt know that about the safety. Guess a person can get used to their operation after a few outings.

Just seen the new 527 M1 Ultralight Predator on the CZ website and it has a flush fitting 3 round magazine, comes in camo too, caliber is 223 and looks to be a $100.00 less. 21.9 in barrel, 6.3 lbs. 13.9in LOP. Not bad at all. May be a lil light for a steady hold when hunting out of a skiff in a lil chop. But for hunting off the beach, this rifle would be great with a bipod. I think the Varmint rifle would be better, bipod would make it a real steady rifle off the beach. 7.5 lbs with a 24 in barrel would be an added bonus.

No 17's where the wind blows for me, and to think I used to be a real fan of the 17's. Of course that was long before I moved from the interior out to the part of Alaska where you are at.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Not sure about the 527 but the 550's have "normal" safety position - forward to fire, back on safe. I've always thought the 527 would be a nice little rifle but agree on the magazine issue. I think CZ puts out quality firearms and wouldn't hesitate to buy one if if is in the configuration and price range you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    No 17's where the wind blows for me, and to think I used to be a real fan of the 17's. Of course that was long before I moved from the interior out to the part of Alaska where you are at.
    Big Al, I do recall you mentioning some time ago that you used to live out here in my part of the State. And I agree no 17s for me either even through some seal hunters prefer them over 222s and 223s. Nowadays some are gravitating from the 17 Remington to the 17 HRM. As for me I still prefer my 22mag rimfire, ammo is cheaper.

Default good gun for the money

i have shot several seals with my cz 452 in 22lr and it is plenty accurate. i retired that rifle after i built my ruger for the same purpose. my cz is too nice of a rifle to be punished by the salt air.

CZ really needs to come up with matt stainless versions of their rifles just for better weather resistance. The new 527 M1 Ultralight in a camo finish may be the best choice for the salt water environment out here. Would be nice if the Varmint version was in SS or coated with the camo finish too. Another option would be to have it coated. but that adds a couple hundred to the cost. A can of flat black engine paint would be just as good for weatherizing the rifle, since it would be an on the boat rifle.

Default I like mine!

527 "Lux". 1-9 twist, 24 inch barrel, sleek rifle, but most likely a bit long for what you have in mind. By the way, my rifle, for what it's worth, likes the 60 gr. Nosler partitions and Varget, as well as the 40 gr. Nosler and Varget.
    Put it on paper, five rounds of the 60 gr. load goes into a shade under an inch and a half at a hundred, but I've yet to put the load over the chronograph. Plenty good enough for a speed goat or whitetail.
    Don't know if it's this particular rifle or not, but the trigger breaks cleaner and lighter unset.

Thanks for the loading info Darreld, I am sure the rifle would be accurate enough for seal hunting and the 223 fast enough for bobbing heads in the water, best shot is when they are coming up out of the water rather than taking the shot when they are going down on the dive. Shooting from a open skiff can be a lil challenging too, especially when you have a lil wind and wave action. Keeps the seal hunt interesting.

I admit to liking the AR's with a 30 round mag for most of the coastal hunting. With a telescoping butt stock and a 16" barrel it does prove to be a handy rifle. Hauling out a thousands rounds of ammo for your hunting gives a man about a life time worth of hunting. I have switched over to the 6.5mm upper for the AR and do like how it acts for longer range taking of caribou. The 6.5mm Grendel ctg has prove a great wind fighter out in the open tundra. It does make wind drift go away. The magazines are modified to take the .220 Russian cases. I think if a fellow had a supply of AK magazines he could find away around the problem with his AR.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson