Thread: Should I Bring This Boat With Me?

Default Should I Bring This Boat With Me?

We're thinking about moving to Anchorage next summer. I am wondering if I would find use for this boat and motor combo, there probably aren't too many of them up there, but there aren't too many of them here in Montana either and I have put it to good use. I would mostly want to use it to access fly fishing and hunting. It's a Mud Buddy 35HP motor and the boat has 21" gunwales. It is nearly 18' long. Motor is not supposed to be used in salt, but people do it anyway. It is set up so that it can be rowed but it's very heavy so it can only be rowed down a deeper river with no serious obstacles because you can't just ferry it across with a flick of the oars- it is better for just holding a line downriver with no obstructions. Will I find good places to use it?

I have never used a set up like yours, but there are a few that run those motors here. Several on this board, in fact. Most are coupled with a flat bottom jon. What part of Montana? I went to college in Missoula.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Ducks

Would make a pretty good duck boat and you would also be able to run it in quite a few of the rivers too.

Not so good for ocean fishing.

I went to college one year in Missoula then transferred to Bozeman.

We are from Missoula. Thinking about moving for career reasons for both me and my fiance. Both of us went to UM.

That boat has a flat bottom, it looks like it might have a V but that stops at the waterline. I can go anywhere a jet can go and with no weed/ice clogging. My max speed isn't that great.

We are stoked on the prospect of moving up there. I have a raft also, love to fish and hunt.

Default absolutely yes

That boat is well suited for many rivers up here. Fishing, ducks, bear, moose and just fun. I ,personally, wouldn't go near the salt with it. Been there, now I have two boats.

Best of luck.

So, are there places where a guy could only go if he had a boat with a mud motor, or am I just getting better mileage and less speed than a jet? On plane I can go through about 4-5" covered in mud, ice, weeds, lily pads, debris. On a river, I can fight the current with 3 guys and move at a good clip. I would be worried with 2 guys and a moose being able to get on step going upcurrent, I guess it would depend on the amount of current and size of moose, but it might be a little underpowered in some situations. .

I could sell the motor and hang a monster jet on it and the thing would be dangerously fast, so maybe that would be a better move. I am sure I can score a better deal on a jet down here so that's one of my options. It does pretty well in serious waves. I have had it on Flathead Lake when some weather moved in and haven't been too scared or taken on water.

Another option, sell the rig outright here, get new AK boat. Get new AK boat here if the price is better.

Without asking for anyone's secrets, if I live in Anchorage, where exactly will I be using this boat (most likely), just wondering what rivers I might want to start thinking about and reading about?

I'm from Big Sandy and bring it there lots of river/lakes you can use it and it worth way more than back home in Montana. welcome to alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Benjy View Post
    Without asking for anyone's secrets, if I live in Anchorage, where exactly will I be using this boat (most likely), just wondering what rivers I might want to start thinking about and reading about?
    I'd say that setup is good for the water north of Anchorage-of which there is a lot of! Dependiing on the weather (rain, snow melt, etc.) rivers can change pretty fast. Alot of people run jets for when the water gets skinny. Search the forum for "skinny water".

And while I've heard alot of things about boats up here getting a better price isn't one of them!

I'd keep it. It is a perfect Mat-Su valley boat. It would be great with a 50/35 jet on it for running the shallow stuff IMO. It would also work well on the Kenai for king fishing and dipping if you put a 4 stroke on it. It might even be ok for close in use in the salt too, but I'd be reluctant unless the day was perfect......even then I'd still be reluctant.