Thread: shock collars

Default shock collars

I have a one year old German Jagd Terrier. She is about the size of a fox terrier. Anyone know of a good brand that will fit this size of dog without being to big or heavy? and that still has decent range, .5 to 1 mile. just to make sure it will reach her even at 75 yards in the cold and near or on mountains. will appreciate any info. thanks.

Default tri-tronics

I have used a tri-tronics field 70 on all my bird dogs. I have a brittney and english setters. It is a simple unit and has been nearly indestructable. I bought mine from Lion Country Supply. They have a website. I believe it is www.lcsupply.com .
    Last edited by grousehunter; 01-02-2007 at 01:20. Reason: wrong website address

hey thanks for the info. pretty cool site.

Take a look at Sportdog ( www.sportdogbrand.com ), I use the SD-2000, which is on my Chessie, to big for you, but they have smaller ones. Lots of options, great products and they have awesome customer service. I had a problem with the collar reciever, gave them a call, very friedly and I received a new one in 2 days ... on Kodiak. I used DT Sytems for a while, and did not like them that much. I also had a problem with a collar reciever, not as good a customer service as Sportdog. One of my buddies has a T-T, had a problem once many years ago, but its a great collar, no other problems, T-T usually is a little spendy, but good.

I have the Dogtra 1202NCP. It's a two dog system. Has a pager (collar vibrates), nick button and constant shock. Works great. I think the 1200 series has been discontinued, but some website still advertise it. The newer models have a smaller receiver.

I use the system with my 30lb brittney mix and 60lb husky mix. The collar/receiver looks funny on the brittney, but it doesn't seem to bother him. It would be nice to have the smaller receivers though.

I've been using it for about 2 years now. Havn't had any problems. Fully waterproof (dogs are in the water all the time), great battery life. I got mine at Sportsmans Warehouse.

http://www.dogtra.com/
    Last edited by kgrant; 01-07-2007 at 19:14.

hey guys thanks guys really appreciate it. still doing some searching and waiting to hear from my breader. the websites you guys posted i looked at and all look similar in size. pictures really don't do the justice. i guess i will go to sportsmans and see if i can return it if it don't fit instead of buying online and paying shipping twice. again just wanted to say thanks. very helpfull. i love this site.

does the vibrate really work. do you use it for praise and recall? i am looking at the 1800 nc or 2200ncp. big differenc in price on the site. will see what sportsmans has. just not sure how to use the priase function is all. thanks again

Default Tritronics

I'm a huge fan of the Tritronics collars. The G2 series is pretty small. But the other brands will do the job just as good. Another site to look at is collarclinic.com.

As for using the collar for praise....I'm not sure its effective. I've got the tone feature on mine, but never use it. A well timed "Good Dog" is a much better form of praise than a tone or vibrate function of a collar.

Yes the pager works! When I first started training them I would call the command, vibrate, then shock. I don't use it as a praise, I use it as a warning, and they know what it is. I very rarely need to shock them anymore, or use the vibrate. The bad thing is that they know when they don't have the collar on, and then they don't behave as well. They don't fear the collar at all, they get excited when I get them out.

I don't do any hunting with my dogs. I only got the collars to help keep them from running and help with general obediance.

Default keep it simple

That is the main thing when using the collars on your dog. I never needed or wanted all the "bells and whistles" on mine. They seemed like something else to possibly go wrong, or possibly push the wrong button at the wrong time or something. I agree that a well timed attaboy works much better than a tone "praise" and would suggest that if you need to tone "warn" a dog it might do better to just tickle him a bit. They seem to remember it better and if they need correction then it is best to correct rather than warn. IMHO. My dogs never have feared the collar and get very excited when they see it. They do know when they have it on and will behave better with it on, it doesn't even have to be turned on most of the time any more. I use mine more as a long distance check cord than anything else now. There are some pretty good videos on training dogs with the e-collar out now. They would be a good help if you have never used one before. That was a good suggestion on the collar clinic they are a good company with good customer service. Tritronics is real good on customer service if you ever need it as well. One of my dogs jumped up on me once and broke the selection knob on mine. I called the company and in two days had a brand new collar "no questions asked". Good luck.

she behaves real well. but now she has a real good nose and about three times now ran of a scent on moose. usually i can catch her she will run in circles on the tracks, a big loop. but last couple time she has been gone up to 2.5 hours. that is the only time she don't listen or recall. if she has a nose full before i see her getting ready to bolt she is gone. cool with out the page mode that can save me some money. not sure if i would use. sounds like it works but so does a real light shock. still looking. to me dogtra looks the smallest and recomended for beagle and hounds. she is a little smaller than a beagle but not by much i don't think. again thanks for advice and info. will check out the other site tonight after work.

I broke my dogs from running whitetails pretty easily. I was fortunate that one dog showed no interest at all in any "off game" except rabbits (which she loves to run for a few minutes if they run instead of sitting still) The other dogs decided that deer weren't for them after two or three rounds with the collar on its highest setting. We had pastureland and deer would come out nearly every evening to graze. It was a simple matter of timing to have the dog out playing, running etc when the deer came out. when the dog decided to play "chase the deer" I would let them run the deer for a moment and try to call them back in or give a stern "NO" first. When they didn't respond I really zapped them with the collar. I would hold the button down until they stopped and started back to me. It was not a pleasant thing at all, but now i do not worry about them running deer ( which up here we dont have and they have not seemed to pay the moose much attention either). it only took two or three times at the most to break the dog from running them. Something similar should work for you. Good luck!

Some brands have dummy collars available to overcome the "collar-wise" tendencies. The dog wears the dummy collar most or all of the time when not training. (Note that I do not advocate leaving a dog alone with any collar on its neck. A SAR dog handler colleague lost a dog years ago, when a flat collar caught on a fence while the handler was away during the day. Our dogs at home are chipped, in the event that we need to find them and they don't happen to be wearing a collar with tags.)

For me, the e-collar is used exclusively to discourage unwanted game chasing and for no other purpose. If the dog is chasing or following the wrong thing, it gets a correction. If it's showing "too much" interest in the wrong scent, it gets a correction. This last part requires that you pay close attention to the dog and to the scent sources in the area. The correction should be carefully calibrated for the seriousness of the offense, just like a dam does with her puppies.

In training, I will not set up a scenario in which I attempt to call the dog off the chase and then correct it with the collar if it doesn't come. I never want to risk associating the command with the correction -- it's a sure way to make a dog fearful of you. If it chases, it gets corrected, without the recall attempt first. Once the chase is broken off, I call the dog and by voice and other rewards convince the dog that the best thing in the world at that moment is to return to me.

I have found that even dogs that have learned the lesson not to run undesirable game might need a refresher occasionally. This might be months after the first successful training (or even a couple of years in one case), but it's worth keeping in mind.

I know that other people have other methods -- these are just mine.

hey guys really good advice. didn't have time to go to sportsmans today. maybe tomorrow. looks cabelas has the dogtra 1800 nc for $289 plus free shipping. thinking now that that is the one i need. still like to see one in person though. i found a number for dogtra and might try giving them a call to see what kind of dogs the collars are bought for most, if they know off hand. would like one asap but don't want to buy the wrong one. thanks a bunch for all the info. really appreciate it.

Default Just wanted to say thanks again.

i bought a Dogtra 1800NC from cabelas after looking at some at sportsmans. Like my choice but looks a little funny on her. Little big. I thought it would be the same size as the dogtra 200 ncp at sportsmans. No web sites had sizes of actuall units. I guess i should have called the manufacturer. But i wanted the range this one has and like the fact both reciever and remote are 100% water proof and rechargeable as well. It is not loaded one either. Nice and simple to use. Plus it was recomended for beagles and hounds. Overall am happy with it. She don't seem to mind it on her. Does seem to inhibit her movements or anything. Had it for a week now and have not needed to recharge yet. Works very well. Didn't take long for her to learn. Thanks again for all the tips. Used some of everyones to make my own routine.