Thread: Rugers new 416 Alaskan Rifle....

Default Rugers new 416 Alaskan Rifle....

I was in a Cabella's last night and got a chance to handle the new Ruger Alaskan stainless rifle in 416 Ruger caliber. This is quite a package. Still don't like the rubber stock (neoprene) but it should be quite a hammer in a small package. Has anyone got a chance to shoot one of those rifles? The Hornady ammo on the shelf was reasonably priced (for today) at $66.00 per twenty and was available in the DGX (expanding) and DGS (solid, non expanding).

It is a handsome cartridge, a little different from my design but still an adequate round.
    Last edited by Murphy; 02-24-2010 at 17:41.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

My son got one and I was able to put a few rounds through it. I wouldn't want to shoot it all day at the range. but it's not that much stouter than my 375 Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I was in a Cabella's last night and got a chance to handle the new Ruger Alaskan stainless rifle in 416 Ruger caliber. This is quite a package. Still don't like the rubber stock (neoprene) but it should be quite a hammer in a small package. Has anyone got a chance to shoot one of those rifles? The Hornady ammo on the shelf was reasonably priced (for today) at $66.00 per twenty and was available in the DGX (expanding) and DGS (solid, non expanding).

It is a handsome cartridge, a little different form my design but still an adequate round.

That's a good price for retail ammo. Down here in AZ it runs about $80.00 per twenty count at most shops.

Default I must be the only one in Alaska that has one...

Murphy,
    I have been sharing my views on this now for about a year now. While I have had to get use to the mule like kick, I have shot 40 rounds in one sitting at the range... mind you I don't want to do that often, I do like the gun. Stainless, rubber stock, balanced, priced right, and yes, the rounds are reasonable. I have been able to get them at $56 per box from Midway shipped in the lower 48 and then brought up with my friends and family traveling up here to Alaska.

I am still shooting with a peep sight from

http://newenglandcustomgun.com/

which I really like. Although I am kicking around the idea of putting a scope on it I do like my set up.

For the price, and it's durability... I like the gun. So far, I am still pleased, and I am not even sponsored by Ruger yet...
    Tony

Note to Ruger: Please make a run of these in Left Hand! Hint Hint!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

It is a handsome cartridge, a little different from my design but still an adequate round.
    Wanna run us through the differences between 'theirs' and 'yours'?