Thread: Sevylor Inflatable canoe

Default Sevylor Inflatable canoe

I am looking for an affordable inflatable to use off of my jet boat to explore some of the skinnier sloughs and near by lakes during moose hunting. I have been looking at buying the Sevylor Colorado inflatable canoe and was wondering if anyone on here has one and if they like it or not.
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

I purchased that model last season for exactly the same reasons. I only have a single test run on a local lake for experience so far.

I did not install the strake when I ventured out solo, that made directional control nearly impossible using the supplied paddle for locomotion, as I suspected it would but I needed to confirm it. Obviously the strake would have been an improvement as well as additional weight in the boat, it sat very high on the water with only 210lbs in it. I think a take-down kayak paddle would be superior if using the boat solo.

The construction appears fairly durable and I think it will allow transporting a moose out from areas otherwise unattainable, with some effort of course.

Deflated, folded and bagged, it will lash to my pack frame with ease.
    For what it is and what it offers I feel satisfied with the purchase regardless of the lack of real experience with it thus far.

338 did you buy yours locally or did you have to order it? Did you get the motor mount? I have a little 2.5 horse gas motor I might put on it from time to time.

I purchased it from Boondocks in Eagle River, it was the last in stock at the time. I did not get a motor mount for it.

I have the svx 200 and have really hammered on this one. It's done great, minus the incident with a bear. I've ran two people (though it can be a little tight) and have done 100+ mile floats in it. it wont hold a moose with a person, it will hold a guy, his gear and a sheep easily! I keep the self bailing holes plugged.

I wish it was a bit longer and definatly a bit wider. the tubes could be a couple inches bigger too.....really it's done great for what I wanted it for. I'd like a pro pioneer for doing moose hunts and longer caribou hunts. The svx will do everything else and still be my go to boat for local stuff, fishing and hunting!!!

I paid a bit less then this....

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...=FROOGLE_19532

A bit off subject, but consider taking a look at the Grabner inflattable canoes as well. Not sure on cost comparison, but these have a great reputation. Made in Germany perhaps, not positive.

Contact Tracey (forum member) below for more info...

Tracey
    Alaska Raft and Kayak

A thread on Grabner canoes...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=grabner
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

there is a guy in fairbanks that sells the grabners....call me cheap but **** they are spendy for what you're getting. I'm sure they're a great product, but definatly out of my price range.

I recently purchased the Sevylor Colorado, but I've only taken it out a few times in the Anchorage area lakes. I got mine off diver-supply.com and it didn't come with any extras besides the canoe itself. They advertise the newer model (that's what I thought I was getting, but this was the cheapest site I found that delivers to Alaska), but the only one they sell on their website is the older model. The older model works great for lake fishing and inflates easily with a cheaper Coleman dual pump I got at Fred Meyers. It has a max PSI rating of 1.5 PSI so i'm still looking for a pressure gauge for it, but i just eyeballed the pressure and it floated very nicely and the canoe itself is very light. I think it would be a pain to paddle this thing solo without a kayak paddle (I only have canoe paddles and they work fine for two people). Feel free to PM me or reply to this post regarding this post/canoe. I looked online pretty extensively and found this one to be the best for my buck, and so far it has lived up to it.

I recently purchased the Sevylor Colorado, but I've only taken it out a few times in the Anchorage area lakes.
    most folks will find the boats do well on class one water , staying away from any rocks, etc. They are not designed to be used in rough places, and also be careful when storing the boat, and inflating it and deflating it, loading and unloading etc. most damage to these type of craft come ,, not from the actual use on the water, but the handling of the boat from the car trunk, storage etc... keep it in a tarp or some other protective box. keep it from the sun, as UV rays will work on them pretty fast.
    Enjoy the boat, and happy it is living up to your expectations.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I just broke down and order one, should be here next week. Could not find one locally. Hopefully it holds up. I am toying with the idea of welding up a rowing frame this winter.