Thread: Jack River

Default Jack River

Anyone know where to fish on the Jack River in the Denali Highway area?

been looking at floating that for some time. if you want we can try it this summer

Where are you planning on floating it from?? From the bridge on the parks highway down to the is easily albeit shallow until after 1/2 mile from the put in you hit the silty Cantwell Creek then the fishing really isn't that good at all. Putting in above the parks highway bridge requires either crossing AHTNA land for following in the ATV trail up the valley which would require a 3 mile pack from the road to the creek and adds another 4 miles or so to the float, but its very shallow and you have to go through a VERY narrow 20' wide canyon section that would be hard for anything other than a kayak or packraft to slip through due to the number a large boulder in the middle of the river. So depending on what you are planning to float it in and the section you want to fish it is doable, but I think there are much better fishing options honestly.

thinking about in the fall when it all clears up some what and the grayling wash down. looked at it above the parks but if what you say is true probably not

I'd recommend contacting http://www.adventuredenali.com/index.html, (Kirk) use to outfit a bunch of horses and knows the country very well.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    I'd recommend contacting http://www.adventuredenali.com/index.html, (Kirk) use to outfit a bunch of horses and knows the country very well.
    Kirk is a great guy. He also runs flyfishing trips along the Denali Hwy, but Jack River isn't one of his preferred spots though.

I work for Denali Fly Fishing Guides, we're right there at the Nenana bridge outside of Cantwell. I would recommend heading out the Denali Highway, all the clear water holds fish, especially if you're willing to walk for it. Sloughs off the Jack hold a few fish and if you're looking to fish in the fall I'll tell you now it's slim pickins come even late August.

Our new site will be up soon @ http://www.denaliflyfishing.com/

We're open from mid May through to August and you're always welcome to stop in. We're the only fly fishing outfit for miles
    River Runnin