Thread: Juneau Kings

Default Juneau Kings

When do the kings start showing up here in Juneau?

Thanks

Default Awhile

We got awhile. I'm sure there's a few feeder's hanging out, but it's usually mid to late may before trolling really picks up. And Dipac doesn't turn on till later in June.

Late April to early May on the North end (Auke Bay and further north.) Mid-May on the South end.

Lots of Spring King Derby winners are caught the first week of May at False Outer Point and the Breadline.

I really like the period from Memorial Day to Father's day on the south end.

I can't believe the number of boats being trailered and out on the water the past three weekends, but I haven't heard reports of anything being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Late April to early May on the North end (Auke Bay and further north.) Mid-May on the South end.

Lots of Spring King Derby winners are caught the first week of May at False Outer Point and the Breadline.

I really like the period from Memorial Day to Father's day on the south end.

I can't believe the number of boats being trailered and out on the water the past three weekends, but I haven't heard reports of anything being caught.
    I know what you mean I've seen a lot of boats go flying by my place.
    Late April early May sounds about right from what I remember last year. Come On Spring!!

I don't think the other guy wants me fishing for kings..."late June"...hmmm plus DIPAC is running water as of last week.

Default They Are Around

This is the time of the year that drives King fishermen crazy in Juneau. Someone will find a feeder King somewhere - makes a cell phone call and before you know it most of those boats you've seen "trailering" past on the road system are jammed into an area the size of a football field trying to hook that feeder's playmates.

Like the others have said - there are always a few feeders around in the winter months in Juneau. The trick is to find where they are hanging out. It usually takes a lot of time and effort and an idea of where there are concentrations of bait that you can tow your hooks past. I'm hearing of the odd one being taken on the west side of Douglas Is. on UV skirts with a glow insert behind UV Hotspots. High tide change. No one is saying how deep they are connecting, but then that is up to the individual once he finds some bait hanging out on and edge for a point of reference. Fun and games. ;-]