Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Glow stick

  1. #1
    Member wesak81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    243

    Question Glow stick

    Im just curious, I figured out this past weekend that fishing got better at night for lake trout and burbot they seem to like the glow in the dark stuff with a hunk of white fish, so would glow sticks big and small be efficent and work? im am going to give it a try in a week or 2 , people let me know what ur thoughts are

  2. #2
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    There was this exact question asked either here or on another site (can't remember the oldtimers is kicking in ) a week or so ago and the concensus is that the chemical reaction that makes them glow slows or stops in the cold.
    It might be worth a try but the glow lures are a sure thing.

  3. #3
    Member moose-head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    @ Seminary, Dubuque Ia
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    the chemical reaction that makes them glow slows or stops in the cold.
    I bought some for my kids when they were sledding thinking I would be able to see them better when it was dark out. It was too cold and the sticks didn't glow.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

  4. #4
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    This is correct. Glow sticks don't work in Alaska in the winter time. They like to be between 60-80F to work as advertised. As they get colder, the reaction slows and the light output drops off rapidly. In 33F water, they are all but a dead light.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  5. #5
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,365

    Default

    there are also some water activated strobe lights that work very well. might try giving them a shot!

  6. #6

    Thumbs up

    I've said it before and will say it again. The first guy that designs ands markets a lure with a lazer light in it, will be beyond rich.

    Take a lazer light and bounce it around it around on the bottom of your acquarium. The fish can't stand it. Just like a cat or dog, they have to hit it. They can't help themselves. It is involuntary. Put a hook on a lazer light and you will have a fish right now. Guaranteed.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    The first guy that designs ands markets a lure with a lazer light in it...
    I have a lure that has a blinking red LED inside of it that I picked up many years ago. It has a partially clear case and uses a watch battery. It's a fairly large lure, so I've only tried it a few times in the Kenai river for salmon. It's never caught anything, but I always figured the Kenai is just way too murky for the light to be seen. However, in clear but dark waters, I can easily see where such a lure might be the ticket. It's a planing lure, but I suppose one could try jigging it with some bait. I might have to dig that guy out and take it out to Island or Stormy and see what happens.

    Laser diodes are very small, but they still consume a lot of power. Plus, the laser projects a beam of light away from the source. You might be directing the fish toward the laser beam, but away from the lure. Hence, having the red dot on the lure itself in the form of a very low power LED seems to make more sense. It is an idea that was already built and marketed, but I don't think they are "rich" because I havn't seen another LED lure on the market since. And good ideas always spread.

    EDIT- I just googled "LED fishing lure" and got thousands of hits on LED lighted lures. So maybe the idea did take off down in America and we just don't see them up here in Alaska.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  8. #8
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default Glow sticks

    I just asked this question on the http://iceshanty.com forum under eelpout forum. Concensus was it was too cold for them to work.
    They used to make a lure called a lumi lure that had two holes in it that held a glow stick. @ 1" long. I bought some old ones and tried them and they did not impress me then but I wasn't fishing burbot or lakers either.
    Apparently they werent that good as I don't think they make them anymore.
    I was going to try some glow sticks I had bought for the kids for burbot but forgot them in the truck so I might have to try them another time.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  9. #9
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I just asked this question on the http://iceshanty.com forum under eelpout forum. Concensus was it was too cold for them to work.
    They used to make a lure called a lumi lure that had two holes in it that held a glow stick. @ 1" long. I bought some old ones and tried them and they did not impress me then but I wasn't fishing burbot or lakers either.
    Apparently they werent that good as I don't think they make them anymore.
    I was going to try some glow sticks I had bought for the kids for burbot but forgot them in the truck so I might have to try them another time.
    Ahhhh, that's where I saw the post.

  10. #10

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I have a lure that has a blinking red LED inside of it that I picked up many years ago. It has a partially clear case and uses a watch battery. It's a fairly large lure, so I've only tried it a few times in the Kenai river for salmon. It's never caught anything, but I always figured the Kenai is just way too murky for the light to be seen. However, in clear but dark waters, I can easily see where such a lure might be the ticket. It's a planing lure, but I suppose one could try jigging it with some bait. I might have to dig that guy out and take it out to Island or Stormy and see what happens.

    Laser diodes are very small, but they still consume a lot of power. Plus, the laser projects a beam of light away from the source. You might be directing the fish toward the laser beam, but away from the lure. Hence, having the red dot on the lure itself in the form of a very low power LED seems to make more sense. It is an idea that was already built and marketed, but I don't think they are "rich" because I havn't seen another LED lure on the market since. And good ideas always spread.

    EDIT- I just googled "LED fishing lure" and got thousands of hits on LED lighted lures. So maybe the idea did take off down in America and we just don't see them up here in Alaska.
    Joat,
    I don't think LED's and Lazer's are even in the same ball park, with respect to the involuntary responses that fish and critters give them. Something about a lazer dot that they can't control themselves and strike, pounce and hit it.

    Lay a LED light out and watch a cat. Lay a lazer beam down and watch that same cat. I have watched fish react in the same manner, in a tank. I am thinking a lure with and internal lazer and a prism exterior surface to refract the light, might be the ticket. As far as battery power consumption, I have a hand held lazer that has been used on levels, played with, worked with and messed with for over ten years, all on the same battery, granted it is a AA size and a watch battery would surely last less. Just thinking of all the possibilities makes me want to go out and dig out the tackle boxes and mess with some lures.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    Hmmm... so you haven't applied for any patents yet, eh?

    <rifling through the drawer full of laser pointers>

    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  12. #12
    Member big_dog60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    between wasilla and palmer
    Posts
    1,061

    Default

    What species of fish did you try the lazer light on? I suspect reactions will vary depending on the species.

  13. #13

    Wink

    The tank had domestic fish of about six species. They all reacted violently to the lazer. Digging up gravel and upsetting the trinkets. I have to think wild ones will do the same. Hmmm...now I have to think about how this could also improve my trapping skills.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  14. #14
    Member wesak81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    243

    Default weird

    well i was thinking, i was fishing with frozen white fish and it was unthawed with in bout 30 mins being bout 30 feet of water, it was 15-28 degrees in the air temputure but the water i think would be warmer so why wouldnt a glow stick work?

  15. #15
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,365

    Default

    We sell them by the hundreds each year, mostly to repeat customers. They must work somewhere!

  16. #16
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wesak81 View Post
    well i was thinking, i was fishing with frozen white fish and it was unthawed with in bout 30 mins being bout 30 feet of water, it was 15-28 degrees in the air temputure but the water i think would be warmer so why wouldnt a glow stick work?
    Because the ideal operating temperature is over 50F. The water is just over freezing, usually in the mid-30s. That's colder than the operating temperature of a light stick, but plenty warm enough to thaw bait. Heat transfer in water is considerably faster than air. If you put something frozen in 33F water, the water will bring that frozen item up to 33F very quickly.

    Go ahead and activate a light stick and toss it in your fridge for a bit. As it cools off, it will get very dim.

    They work in moderate temperatures, just not at near or below freezing temperatures.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  17. #17
    Member big_dog60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    between wasilla and palmer
    Posts
    1,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    The tank had domestic fish of about six species. They all reacted violently to the lazer. Digging up gravel and upsetting the trinkets. I have to think wild ones will do the same. Hmmm...now I have to think about how this could also improve my trapping skills.
    So instead of trying some fancy luer why dont you put the luer down the hole and hit it with a lazer pointer?

  18. #18

    Default

    www.northlandtackle.com/
    try this website. Eel pout love the glow red spoons, "frosties"

  19. #19

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    So instead of trying some fancy luer why dont you put the luer down the hole and hit it with a lazer pointer?
    I tried that while fishing through the ice, but the water I was fishing in for Pike, had tannins in it and the light would not penetrate very far. I could not see, below the depth of the ice thickness.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lekanoff View Post
    www.northlandtackle.com/
    try this website. Eel pout love the glow red spoons, "frosties"
    linkie is kaput
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •