Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 375 Wby - Good Choice?

Default 375 Wby - Good Choice?

Heck. I dithered too long on which 416 to get, and just found a great deal on a 375 Wby DGR.

Someone bought it 5 years ago, never shot it, and sold it with 5 boxes of Wby 300gr NPs for $2.5K. So, I basically got the rifle as new for $2K. I would be fine with the 340 Accumark, but for brown bear, I like the idea of having the 24-inch barrel and iron sights just in case. A big part of me wanted to go bigger, like the 416 (I just like crazy big things). But, with that deal, I thought I could use it on my Alaskan hunt and decide to stick with it next year in S.A., or go bigger. Maybe I will move up through the calibers until I reach my limit whatever that may be.

Aside from my rife choice (largely based on my familiarity with Wby Mark Vs), did I make a good choice? Aside from the Wby 300gr NPs, the only other factory ammo is Nosler's 260gr Accubond loading (3,000fps) and A-Square's 300gr solids. Am I right that the 300gr NPs moving at 2,800fps would be almost ideal for brown bear or at least is the best option among the three? As far as the Accubonds, I'm leary of using a bonded lead-core, non-partitioned bullet on anything big and feisty. I could get some hand-loaded ammo, like a 270gr or 300gr TSX or the larger 300gr Accubond or something, but I already have 5 boxes of the 300gr NPs.

Has anyone had any experience with the Accubonds out of a 375 cal rifle?

Would it be a bad idea to mount a bipod on the barrel-mounted sling stud? If it's not a terrible idea, mitigating factors may be that I would/could sight in using the bipod, and the barrel is fairly heavy on that rifle. Or is it just a bad idea?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

I've always thought the 375 Wby would be a great choice if one wanted a gun for facing off with the baddest of the bad. I can't think of a thing that any of the 416's will do that your rifle won't do just as well and some things your rifle will do better when shooting at longer ranges.

If I were a brown bear and knew you were fixen to throw any 300 grain hunk of lead at me at 2800 fps I'd soil my fur.

As for the putting a bi-pod on the barrel mounted sling stud, I would never do that. I would put one the stock just for the bipod. I can't help but think that resting the barrel on a bi-pod would mess with the harmonics.

The 375 Weatherby is my favorite Weatherby round. I'm not gettin' excited over Weatherby but I do very much like 375 Wby ballistics. If you're familiar with the guns you're probably ahead of me in the game. I have a custom gun in the caliber. (Converted a 375 H&H Sako A-V to the caliber.)

That is a nicely appointed rifle. I'm not keen on the sight hood (globe) but it is removable, I guess, and has good sights. If you're happy with the package and price, you did good. That's about $600 worth of ammo.

I've not tried Accubonds in my 375 Wby but they are more than good enough in the H&H and other 375's. If the rifle will shoot it will shoot Accubond bullets.

The bipod on the barrel stud will most likely cause problems. I've never got that to work on any barrel mounted stud. It is like putting the barrel on a rock and shooting. No one knows where the bullet will go. You could mount a stud in that stock and it would suffice but of course you'd likely get your left trigger finger dinged with that. We don't generally use the 375 class of rifles for that long range bipod shooting anyway.......do we?

The 300 grain bullt from the 375 Wby has the trajectory of the 270 grain from the H&H. Think of it that way. I have the same ballistics in two other 375 wildcats and it makes an almost 300 Win mag trajectory with the 260-270 grainers. I have made some boast worthy shots with that combo. It is a Ma Bell kind of cartridge.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The 375 Weatherby is my favorite Weatherby round. I'm not gettin' excited over Weatherby but I do very much like 375 Wby ballistics. If you're familiar with the guns you're probably ahead of me in the game. I have a custom gun in the caliber. (Converted a 375 H&H Sako A-V to the caliber.)

That is a nicely appointed rifle. I'm not keen on the sight hood (globe) but it is removable, I guess, and has good sights. If you're happy with the package and price, you did good. That's about $600 worth of ammo.

I've not tried Accubonds in my 375 Wby but they are more than good enough in the H&H and other 375's. If the rifle will shoot it will shoot Accubond bullets.

The bipod on the barrel stud will most likely cause problems. I've never got that to work on any barrel mounted stud. It is like putting the barrel on a rock and shooting. No one knows where the bullet will go. You could mount a stud in that stock and it would suffice but of course you'd likely get your left trigger finger dinged with that. We don't generally use the 375 class of rifles for that long range bipod shooting anyway.......do we?

The 300 grain bullt from the 375 Wby has the trajectory of the 270 grain from the H&H. Think of it that way. I have the same ballistics in two other 375 wildcats and it makes an almost 300 Win mag trajectory with the 260-270 grainers. I have made some boast worthy shots with that combo. It is a Ma Bell kind of cartridge.
    Thanks Murphy. I likely will stick with the partitions, but the Accubonds carry pretty well:

375 WEATHERBY WBY 260 GRAIN ACCUBOND (0.473 B.C.; 255 yd zero)
    Range / Velocity / Impact / Energy / Drift
    000 / 3000 / -1.75 / 5196 / 0.00
    050 / 2893 / 0.90 / 4832 / 0.59
    100 / 2793 / 2.50 / 4504 / 1.06
    150 / 2696 / 2.99 / 4196 / 1.85
    200 / 2601 / 2.28 / 3906 / 2.99
    250 / 2508 / 0.27 / 3632 / 4.47
    300 / 2417 / -3.12 / 3373 / 6.33
    350 / 2328 / -8.00 / 3129 / 8.58
    400 / 2242 / -14.5 / 2902 / 11.25
    450 / 2157 / -22.72 / 2686 / 14.35
    500 / 2074 / -32.82 / 2483 / 17.91

Never rising significantly more than 3 inches above the sight line, the bullet hits only 3 inches low at 300 yds and with the same energy a .338 WM puts out at 100 yds.

My guide hunts in a pretty open area with rolling hills, and he says his clients shoot bears regularly in the 200yd-250yd range.

Wait 'till Bearclaw sees this thread; he loves Weatherby rifles, builds customs on the Weatherby action, and is quite learned regarding all things Weatherby. I have a ZKK-602 rechambered to .375 W and love it. I think you'll have fun with it. Don't limit yourself to NP's, Woodleigh makes a 350 grain fully bonded projectile that is popular with the Africa crowd.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Sounds like you got a great deal on your Weatherby DGR 375. I always thought their version of the 375 was a good cartridge too.

Great choice, great deal and outstanding cartridge indeed. It is a handloaders dream for the .375 cartridge. Lots of power, manageable recoil and what a thumper. Congrats. I had one and it truly was a power house.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Sounds and looks like a great deal MarineHawk. You can even cut the lable portion of the ammo boxes off and use them as post cards

I really don't care one way or the other for a .375 Weatherby, the people I've known to own them wanted CFR action before they gave up on the push feeds and then gave up for a standard old .375H&H's. I do know a fellow that still has several boxes of ammo for his old Mark V that was in .375 Weatherby, that would love to trade them off. He has been shooting the standard stuff for a lot of years and can't use them any more.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I really don't care one way or the other for a .375 Weatherby, the people I've known to own them wanted CFR action before they gave up on the push feeds and then gave up for a standard old .375H&H's. I do know a fellow that still has several boxes of ammo for his old Mark V that was in .375 Weatherby, that would love to trade them off. He has been shooting the standard stuff for a lot of years and can't use them any more.
    Big Al:

I decided to go with the Mk V, especially with the deal I got ($2K for an unshot 375 Wby DGR), partly because I know my other Mk V 340 Wby like the back of my hand. And, I think familiarity can lead to reliability and effectiveness with rifles. The CZ does have a CRF. In the end, for me, I found American Hunter's John Zent's comments convincing:

Quote Originally Posted by John Zent
    Conventional wisdom says Mauser-type CRF prevents malfunctions that may occur when an excited hunter short-strokes the bolt and two shells wind up jammed together in the loading port. Most often the hunter will have to clear the mess by hand. In any situation that's awkward and inconvenient-with dangerous game it could be fatal. Furthermore, Mauser-type extractors are almost always wider than other extractors, and thus their greater gripping surface provides more strength and reliability for removing cases stuck in the chamber.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Zent

Dread the notion that a belligerent bear or buffalo might push-feed us into oblivion if our gun jams, but it's not all about gun design. Although all the experts we consulted agreed that Mauser-type bolt-guns have an edge in reliability, they were nearly unanimous in cautioning that the matter is not so one-sided as many seem to think.

"No action is foolproof," says Coogan. "I've seen problems with both [types]. My closest call ever came when a client's custom 98 Mauser locked up during an elephant charge. Don't let the Mauser aura make you overconfident."
    Sisk agrees: "The proficiency of the person operating the bolt handle is far more important than the design. You can make them all jam if you don't manipulate them right."

http://www.americanhunter.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=1469&cid=40

The Wby has a 53-deg, instead of a 70-90-deg bolt rotation and a shorter bolt throw than most. Nothing is fool proof, but I can't seem to get my 340 Wby to jam at any angle under any circumstance, and I know it inside and out. A diffferent CRF might be better for some. But I feel really confident with my Wbys, and that matters a lot to me.

If I had a CZ or some other CRF less than $3K, rather than a Wby, and loved it, I likely would have bought a CZ in 375H&H or 416 Rigby, but I don't and will put off unfamiliar rifles for another year or so while I hunt with something familiar and proven (at least to me).

There is a lot of wisdom and common sense in that choice. You now have a match set of very reliable rifles. There was a lot of engineering and experience that went into the design of Mk V rifles. You know the gun and have confidence in it. You did good!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Wait 'till Bearclaw sees this thread; he loves Weatherby rifles, builds customs on the Weatherby action, and is quite learned regarding all things Weatherby. I have a ZKK-602 rechambered to .375 W and love it. I think you'll have fun with it. Don't limit yourself to NP's, Woodleigh makes a 350 grain fully bonded projectile that is popular with the Africa crowd.
    Ever consider chambering that in .378? I have one in .375 and the .378 fit's the magazine like it was made for it.

Enjoy your rifle. As has been said, you know the rifle and are very familiar with the design and it's function. Remember, use what you want to use and the Mark V is no slouch nor does it have to apologize for anything. It has dropped lot of dangerous game all over the world and has done so for many years and will continue to do so. Yes!!! You did good.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks beartooth and Murphy.

Just ordered my base and rings: http://www.nearmfg.com/products.htm

I have a second Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50 on a rifle I don't shoot much (and that I have different sighting options for) so I likely will just mount that one. I will test out Bushy's claim: "Magnum recoilproof tested with 10,000 rounds of 375 H&H Magnum." So far, my other one has survived my 340 without incident.

I ordered some of the 160gr Accubond loads yestersday online from Nosler so that I can compare them to the NPs. But I then got an e-mail later from Nosler saying that they are out of stock. I called, and they can't say when they will have more, and you can't back order. I think they need to work a little on the supply component of the supply/demand curve.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Thanks beartooth and Murphy.

Just ordered my base and rings: http://www.nearmfg.com/products.htm

I have a second Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50 on a rifle I don't shoot much (and that I have different sighting options for) so I likely will just mount that one. I will test out Bushy's claim: "Magnum recoilproof tested with 10,000 rounds of 375 H&H Magnum." So far, my other one has survived my 340 without incident.

I ordered some of the 160gr Accubond loads yestersday online from Nosler so that I can compare them to the NPs. But I then got an e-mail later from Nosler saying that they are out of stock. I called, and they can't say when they will have more, and you can't back order. I think they need to work a little on the supply component of the supply/demand curve.
    If you are going to put a scope on the 375Wby, you should mount a 1.5-5 or a 1.5-6, just a suggestion.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Ever consider chambering that in .378? I have one in .375 and the .378 fit's the magazine like it was made for it.
    Briefly, if I were to have it rechambered, I would want a longer barrel to get the most out of the .378 case. But....I do have another ZKK in .375 H&H...

Right now my mediums are:
    ZKK in .375 H&H (got it for a really good price)
    ZKK in .375 W
    And my heavy is the .500 A-Square.

If I had a re-barrel on the ZKK I'd probably go to a .465 H&H just 'cuz it looks soooo kewl.

'Kay, back on topic. I agree with Beartooth on the scope, but it depends on what/where you'll be hunting. You heading out to catch a pronghorn? You can do it with the .375 W and a boattail 300 grain.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    If you are going to put a scope on the 375Wby, you should mount a 1.5-5 or a 1.5-6, just a suggestion.
    I agree, and if I were starting from scratch, I likely would get the Bushnell 1.25-8x30 But I'm inclined, for now, to stick with the 2.5-16x50, just because it's what I have sitting around--for cost purposes.

I agree, and if I were starting from scratch, I likely would get the Bushnell 1.25-8x30 But I'm inclined, for now, to stick with the 2.5-16x50, just because it's what I have sitting around--for cost purposes.
    I understand. If you change you mind in the future, get a Zeiss 1.5-6 Conquest, very good scope and can take a ton of recoil with the cross hairs being in the first focal plain.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Thanks Nitro. I also see that Barnes makes a fairly new .375 350gr TSX bullet.

Thanks Nitro. I also see that Barnes makes a fairly new .375 350gr TSX bullet.
    Haven't seen them for sale in North America yet, but I imagine you can order from Australia and pay the shipping. Maybe a call to Barnes would get a few boxes sent to gauge interest in releasing within the US?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast