Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another dead cat story!

Default Another dead cat story!

Last spring we had some folk move in down the street. Not quite sure where they came from but they do some mighty strange things now and again. They brought with them a very large yellow tom cat. This cat wore out his welcome in the neighborhood in short order. He spent some of the time on the back of their couch looking out the picture window. Most of his time was spent poo pooing in all the neighborhood sandboxes and spraying every back door he could find.

Early this morning at 1:23 AM I was awakened to a gunshot and the whump sound that often means something caught a bullet. I pulled on my britches and head out the front door but the front porch was as far as I was going minus shoes. Several other neighbors also came out to see what the ruckus was all about but they stayed on the porch as well and in the end we all just went back to bed. This morning mother dearest no more than backed out the drive heading to work when the phone rang. It was mother on her cell. You need to come look at whats on the side of the road in front of ******'s house. Sure enough there lay that beeg ole yeller cat and he didn't even have enough head left to hold his collar on. Way layed right there smack dab in the middle of town with a big iron.

I can't say I'm sorry that cat is dead but all eyes are on me and for once I DIDN'T DO IT! Dang the luck!

That is the most beautiful and heartwarming story I've heard all day. If you find out who did it, I hope you'll have the decency to buy him a beer.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Default Similar story

We had a St. Benard in the neighborhood that was a nasty dog. It had a history of biting people and was general a PITA.

I would walk my large german shepard on a lease and the dog challenged us several times. It must have sensed that I was carrying my .357 in my pocket because it always backed off.

One early morning it was found dead in the road - hit by a car and then ran over numerous times to flatten it out. Whoever hit it wanted to make certain it was real dead. Of course running over a St. Bernard makes a pretty good speed bump so it must have taken some effort.

Everyone pointed at me but I pointed out I was driving my VW bug that morning and the bronco was in the driveway. Don't think I convienced may people however.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Had a buddy who accidentally threw a footall into a guy's backyard with his german shepard. When they politely asked the crotchety old dude if he would accompany them to the back yard to keep his dog at bay while they retreived the ball he replied that if they wanted the ball they would have to tangle with the dog themselves. Since one of the boys in question had been nipped by said dog thiat was out of the question. So a 300 win mag through a crack in the fence made getting the ball easy as could be. Funny thing is the old man just shrugged as if to say" well I guess they tangled pretty good", and buried the dog in the back yard.

Ahh to live in the country again.

I accidentally discharged my 338 Lapua into the air at about 1:22 this morning it was pointed northward, towards Iowa. I din't think that that big Sierra bullet would reach all the way from Southern Missouri to Southern Iowa. I guess I lost that bet! I'll have to recalculate my ballistic coefficient....darn, more math.
    Last edited by Murphy; 02-24-2010 at 09:58.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

When we bought this place in 2001 there were loose dogs all over running wild and I was contemplating how too deal with them. After about a month I was seeing less and less dogs running around so I was relived I was not gonna need be the bad guy. Then about 6 weeks after moving in I was outside changing oil when I heard the unmistakable crack of a 22 rifle then a dog running through my yard on its way home to die from a lung shot. I went back to work for a couple minutes when the owner of the dog showed up in my driveway yelling about me shooting his dog. I told him my story but being the ‘new people’ from Arizona he was dead set I did it. It was getting real heated but he thought better than jumping me since I had picked up a hatchet and informed him he may kick my ***** but it wernt gonna be a free ride! He has not talked to me since and from what I hear come from his place I’m happy with that.

Then in 2007 at the New Years Eve fireworks block party bonfire we have in my yard every year the crotchety 84 year old guy from down the road handed me 2 bottles of Jack and 10 good hand rolled cigars. I said what’s this and he said “Well, for being my fall guy when all them dogs needed killen back when you first moved here.” I just said “That’s okay I was plotting how to thin the heard myself anyway.”
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    When we bought this place in 2001 there were loose dogs all over running wild and I was contemplating how too deal with them. After about a month I was seeing less and less dogs running around so I was relived I was not gonna need be the bad guy. Then about 6 weeks after moving in I was outside changing oil when I heard the unmistakable crack of a 22 rifle then a dog running through my yard on its way home to die from a lung shot. I went back to work for a couple minutes when the owner of the dog showed up in my driveway yelling about me shooting his dog. I told him my story but being the ‘new people’ from Arizona he was dead set I did it. It was getting real heated but he thought better than jumping me since I had picked up a hatchet and informed him he may kick my ***** but it wernt gonna be a free ride! He has not talked to me since and from what I hear come from his place I’m happy with that.

Then in 2007 at the New Years Eve fireworks block party bonfire we have in my yard every year the crotchety 84 year old guy from down the road handed me 2 bottles of Jack and 10 good hand rolled cigars. I said what’s this and he said “Well, for being my fall guy when all them dogs needed killen back when you first moved here.” I just said “That’s okay I was plotting how to thin the heard myself anyway.”

Now that's what I call a good neighbor

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I still go with mouse traps to teach cats a lesson, rat traps are for the ones that failed to learn it the first time....

A story along a different line. Many years ago during the wheat harvest in Eastern Washington my brother was running back to the shop in a pickup to get parts for a broken combine and he accidently hit a wild shop cat. He was in a hurry and the cat was flopping around in the road, basically already dead. At about this time the farm owner’s wife, who was cooking dinner for the crew heard the commotion and glanced out the window. She saw my brother pick up the cat by the tail and whack it on the side of the building to put it out of its misery and throw it into a garbage bin and keep going with what he was doing. Later, while everybody was blowing off their radiators and shutting down for the night the farm owner comes up to him and hands him $20 and tells him he probably had better go to town and grab a burger instead of eating with the crew. He explained why and my brother went to a burger joint that evening. He got a cool reception for a while at their house, but eventually she grew to not hating him although it took a while.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I accidentally discharged my 338 Lapua into the air at about 1:22 this morning it was pointed northward, towards Iowa. I din't think that that big Sierra bullet would reach all the way form Southern Missouri to Southern Iowa. I guess I lost that bet! I'll have to recalculate my ballistic coefficient....darn, more math.
    That explains why I heard the whop of the cats head coming undone long before I heard the bang. The wind was outta the south or I might notta heard it at all! When did they start making varmint bullets in 338?

I printed off your post and wrote sorry Murphy on the bottom of it and then stuck it in an envelope. When mother gets home I'll see to it that she runs that envelope and a batch of cookies down to the neighbors what used to hug on that cat you offed!

By the way nice shot!

Thumbs up man u guys got some good ones..

Myself i made up a few "dead fall" traps with dip nets/ trash for bait and caught some of them... (many).... pin'ed down there meanass with a 2x4 , and sprayed a nice set of large "Scope Cross Hairs" on "the rite spot" in "BRITE "chevy orange...turned them losse, never seen the same dog twice, and it was kinda fun..........
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

In use rat traps for everything. Not really interested in killing the dogs, just want them away from my porch, truck, flowerbeds ect. Dogs are some dumb beasts when presented some half-fermented whitefish. I'll be sitting on the couch reading or taking in a flick, I hear "CRACK! BUMBLDITYRUMBLINDAAARRRFFF!!" as the stoopid thing flips over backwards from getting its' snoz in the trap. It takes twice most of the time, some take five to six.

Now, I know some folks love cats, but for those that do...you are a minority. I have never met a cat I didn't think would be better off dead. Sorry, but there it is.

I've caught many cats with the rat traps, only takes once and they "get it", and don't come back. They're smarter than dogs that way. Every year when my wife is drying pike, I place a 1/4" plywood plate on top of our porch railing, it has about 10,000 9/16" staples shot into it, all placed very carefully so the points make a field with no space for a cats paw, but far enough away so a cat cannot walk on them. It warms my heart when I hear a scream and BUMBLDITYRUMBLINDITY as the nasty critters run off my porch. May seem cruel, but I am not killing them....yet, and the reason for that is I haven't figured out how without the nasty critters spraying their stench all over the area. I like the old net rig, I think I'll try that and hook it to the rat trap....

You can see the attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Cats = Ballistic Research Participant

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it:

I've made an air powered tennis ball launcher for hanging antenna's in trees, but it discharges tennis balls. Very quickly & efficently I may add. It'll put a tennis ball through 3/4" plywood at 20' at 100psi (OSB further out)...

Anyway, my neighbors had about 13 dogs, they've since slimmed down to 4 or 5 due to various reasons. Most were running free in the neighborhood and chasing moose. I was getting concerned about the young kids running around also. One cornered me under my house while I was working on re-leveling it. I discussed it calmly with the neighbor and requested they keep their dogs tied up.

After building the launcher a few winters back, the dogs were doing their business on my porch and under the house (post & pad foundation). I heard a ruckus outside to find the dogs sniffing around for a fresh spot, so I filled the launcher tank and loaded a tennis ball. Went outside, yelled fetch and fired a ball over their heads. They dropped to the ground not knowing what it was, then high tailed it home. Had to repeat this multiple times, but they didn't even want to walk past my place on the road from then on out. They've done good about staying away to this day. Another neighbor down the road was talking to me the following spring about finding several tennis balls in their yard (about 300 yards down); I told them that I needed to come down to collect those as I had 'shot' them down the road to dissuade the dogs. I may add that is where the ball landed with a straight shot, no bounce.

I've since gotten the tennis balls back, and if the dogs get near the yard, I only need to yell 'FETCH' and they head home.

The dogs also get real quiet when I'm putting up antenna's as the launcher is the most utilized tool.

I'll add that the plans for building one are online, http://www.antennalaunchers.com/antlaunching.html is the site I utilized. The parts can be substituted with locally available pieces, each one runs about $75 for the parts / pieces. I have a few leftovers if there is interest.
    Last edited by blybrook; 02-24-2010 at 11:08. Reason: Added plan location

Cats?? Did someone say cats? I think my avatar speaks for itself.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

I'm a dog guy and don't mind cats much, usually just let my dogs run off the roaming spraying toms. However when people just let their dogs run they soon become a hazard to me, mine, and my property. The offending dogs that were here ran in a pack challenging my dogs when they were on their zip line, scattering my trash almost daily, and getting territorial with people walking down the road. I know it’s a waste of effort to tell the owner (if you can find where they live) that ole Buck is a trouble maker “He’s a great dog, he wouldn’t harm a fly.” Been there, done that too many times in my life! So I start with a deterrent if I can and unless they are aggressive, I like a paint ball gun and/or a fence charger for that. If that doesn’t work they will not live long coming in my yard.

Just December the wife and I were walking down the road here when 3 dogs came running out from a house barking at us with their owner hot after them trying to call them off. 2 of them were just barking to say hi but the 3rd was looking for an opening to get a taste. I tried to explain she had a biter there and sooner or later he would get someone if she didn’t get a much better handle on him. “Not ole buck, he’s just a big goof.” Well ole buck came out and bit the wrong person’s great grandkid not long after and soon after that ole buck vanished according to the signs the owner put up.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Boys and there toys! This is gonna sound like a dumb question but if I read that article right a tennis racket will launch the ball in much the same fashion so why not just tie the line to the ball and hit it with the racket? You got 300 yard tall trees in them parts?

they do look like fun though!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I still go with mouse traps to teach cats a lesson, rat traps are for the ones that failed to learn it the first time....

how do these work? just snap their paw?, i practice my trapping skills on th eneighbor cats, then haul them away on a drive.. funny how cats are no good at finding their way back from several miles away. i figured they could have.

I love cats when the neighbors keep them inside.. but i dont like picking up other peoples cat poop in my garden.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Boys and there toys! This is gonna sound like a dumb question but if I read that article right a tennis racket will launch the ball in much the same fashion so why not just tie the line to the ball and hit it with the racket? You got 300 yard tall trees in them parts?

they do look like fun though!
    Since you have a tennis ball that is weighted with bb's or the like and tied to a fishing reel (and 100lb test minimum with the launcher), hitting it with a regular racket won't get it in the trees well enough or with enough accuracy. I've busted 100lb test at 70psi when the reel jammed. Never found that ball either.

Default Ode To A Dead Cat

O Cat, you are dead.

Good!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast