Thread: Max case size for a Rock Chucker

Default Max case size for a Rock Chucker

Noob here. And I could probably refer to some books, but I'm lazy, so I'll ask on here.

I have a Rockchucker and another RCBS press from the '70's (slightly smaller...) Til now, I've messed around with the .357 and .308, etc.

I'd like to start reloading some larger rounds like 8mm Mag, .375 H&H, and eventually .50 BMG... I'm pretty sure these presses won't handle the .50, but what about the others??

To me, there are two factors - the physical capacities and the real world operation ability/strength. As in the Rockchucker COULD reload the 8mm Mag, but it's at the upper limit for leverage, etc...

Thanks in advance!

The rock chucker will handle all the standard belted magnums without any problem. The longer ultra mag cases will be problematic unless you have a taller press like the rock chucker supreme. 50 BMG will typically require a dedicated press like the RCBS ammomaster or similar. The big 50 is a world unto its own. I've loaded over 3,000 rounds of 50 for my M-2. It's a chore.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I reload for a 300 RUM with a Rock Chucker - no problem. For seating, you just angle it up into the die and slide it right into the shell holder. Very easy. Much longer than a RUM, and you'll have problems. If I were to buy another press, I would get a little bigger one.

-Mark

The supreme was made to eliminate having to "angle" the ctg. into the press with the RUM length ctgs. Didn't say it can't be done, but yes, a taller press is just easier. Loaded some 20mmx128b Lahti/Solothurn ammo on an ammomaster, had to unscrew the die for each round, kind of a pain. But pouring a 550 grain charge and seating a 1700 grain projectile is kinda fun. It sort of scoots you around prone when you squeeze the trigger.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

a 50bmg case will fit length wise in a Rockcrusher I believe but the dies won't due to diameter, or at least my RCBS 50bmg dies wont. A 50bmg press set up for the big 50bmg primers and everything is going to be the way to go there. All the others you listed will do fine in a Rockcrusher and I can’t think of any non 50bmg family case it won’t do.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thank you gentlemen very much for the info...

Only now I want a Solothurn. Thanks a lot.

Lee Classic Cast will handle the long cartridges, RUMS, etc. and the 50 bmg's and 50 bmg dies.