Thread: Lots of overflow!!!

Exclamation Lots of overflow!!!

Anybody flying around to your favorite lake (or snowmobiling)... snow conditions are bad!

Lost of overflow!!!

The bad stuff --- cookie firm top-sheet layer for seemingly good touch & go, over saturated sugar granulate, with just water (1.5 ft. deep on many lakes) underneath... slow down too much in even a Cub and it could spell trouble in an instant.

Be careful.

Wink Willow

Just finish two day of grooming and the only overflow I found was on the Big Su. on the Deshka River X-over trail and a couple cold nights like last night and it will be no problem.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Exclamation Off the groom

Yep- flew low over the stretch you are talking at mouth of Deshka... off Trail there over any water could get mighty risky.

Groomed stuff isn't a big deal... much like 'some' runways that are routinely packed down and frequented.

Off trail or just about any lake or pond in the valley right now is sketchy beneath the cookie-crust surface. Water saturation runs quite a bit deeper than typical... will be insulated by the crust and sugar layers for more than just a few cooler nights can firm up. Very deceiving snow.

and that is why I love my full lotus floats... best darn ski's you can have. I was landing on swamps and lakes where the cub's were sinking up to the belly pod... I never left a track more than 2" deep.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    and that is why I love my full lotus floats... best darn ski's you can have. I was landing on swamps and lakes where the cub's were sinking up to the belly pod... I never left a track more than 2" deep.
    Could you send me a pic if you have some... sounds good.

--- but how do I use them on aircraft and snogo - lol

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Its kinda funny seeing avid with them floats on in the winter. He was out at my cabin and made a believer out of me.. Overflow no problem when he gets in it you cant even tell he just seems to go a little faster.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

I thought it was the inflatables you were talking about - cool.

Default back on subject

ok, the cold weather has made the overflow CONCRETE!!! Becareful out there folks, this stuff is hard. the new snow peters out just about at northwoods lodge on the yetna, NONE at skwentna. Did the overland trail from talvista to luces, it completelys sucks at tavista and gets better as you near luces, I had the over heat light come on MANY times, pulled over stopped threw some snow on the coolers, waited for a bit, then continued on. The river is BUMPY and they are Rock HARD. We need more snow!!!! I would assume around willow would be pretty good, as it looks like that is where all the good snow is.

Have fun, and be careful!!