Thread: Salt block at a bait station?

Default Salt block at a bait station?

Just wondering if anyone has ever put a salt block at their bait site. If so what were the results? If not, do you think it might be worth trying?

Hit me with em, I'm ready.
    -Caleb-

Few years back I put a salt block and a mineral block out and they just dissolved in the weather, the bears that came in never seemed to go to them just strait to the bait. I think I will save on blocks and buy more bait. This is just my experience maybe others have done better.

Never tied a block but I've used salty baits without much luck. In the spring I go for protein based baits(dog food & bacon grease) in the fall I use carb based ones(grains & kool-aid kind of stuff).
    Chuck

I put a block out one time in a field, not a bait station, and had moose fighting over it. I think if you used one at a bait station, you would have a problem with moose.

Not only that, it took almost 6 month's for the moose to find it.

So in all reality, I don't think you would have much luck with one, and on top of that ( I could be wrong on this) but I believe it is against the law.

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    Never tied a block but I've used salty baits without much luck. In the spring I go for protein based baits(dog food & bacon grease) in the fall I use carb based ones(grains & kool-aid kind of stuff).
    You don't have a prob. w/griz hitting your "protein based" stations in the spring?

I like the koolaid idea

I have never used a salt block at my bait site and have never heard of anyone using one and I know a fair amount of black bear hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgefan01 View Post
    You don't have a prob. w/griz hitting your "protein based" stations in the spring?

I like the koolaid idea
    Out here the brownies are usually in the lower country I work in the alder thickets on the hillsides.

Tropical Punch is the best get the cheap stuff it has a louder smell.
    Chuck