Thread: North to Alaska - Another Floridian Making the Move

Default North to Alaska - Another Floridian Making the Move

Hello All,

Spent a few days lurking/reading all the great information on this forum – Wow – very beneficial! I have already learned a great deal more than anyone I know has shared or I knew to ask – so I am getting all the more excited about my pending move to Fairbanks.

I am moving from just outside Pensacola, Florida in mid-July. I plan to drive up – through to Montana and then across. I plan to take about two weeks for the trip. I have scoured the Milepost already and a handful of videos and books about the trip and the State.

This will be the fourth time in the past 20 years or so that I was meant to go to Alaska – and it looks like I might actually make it up there this time around.

I am already accumulating plenty of insulating layers of clothing and sprucing up my fly-fishing gear. I have an AWD Yukon, which I assume will get around in the snow alright.

I am still debating how best to get my household belongings up to me. I don’t plan to move them up until the following summer – so I can take my time and figure out where I want to settle.

Looking forward to all of it --

Regards,
    Kyle

Congrats!!! Nuttin like livin the dream

We haven't moved up yet, but you're right about all the helpful information around this board!!! I have been reading tons on here today, and there's lots of great folks willin to give all the info they can provide!

Good luck on your move!

Thanks --
    Aiming to rent a room or basement from someone in North Pole / Fairbanks area for the first 6-9 months -- starting in July -- just me -- mid-30's responsible male.
    I plan on working about 50 hours a week and outdoors otherwise, so I shouldn't be around too much.
    Let me know if anyone knows of any such accomodations -- it would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Kyle

what kinda work?, mid july all the construction company's are pretty filled up.

hope you have something in mind before you get here.

Matanuska-Susitna, AK / Tampa Bay, FL Areas

I am sure you know what you are getting into. I am not an Alaskan by no means, however, I am from the Northwoods of Wisconsin. If I can be of help let me know.

Kylemac,

You might keep this site in mind:

www.couchsurfing.org

Some people move to Alaska to "live the dream," but may not find a readily available job in a chosen career field. If that is the case, and if one must settle for a more humbling type of work at less pay, at least cheaper rent is available by perusing such web sites as I posted. A few wild-eyed young adults will come to the state, for example, "at any cost" and end up on such a path. If this type of temporary living arrangement is not suited for one, at least having this site bookmarked can be beneficial if financial trouble comes in this economic era.

When you finally get here, please post to the forum and update us. It would definately help others wanting to make such a move, to hear a positive "North to Alaska" success.

Thumbs up

Appreciate the info and concern from both ‘Rock_skipper’ and ‘Crab_n_fish’ -- that alone is heartening –

I guess I could have stated my work status in the beginning -- apologies --

I will be spending my last hitch with the USAF @ Eielson AFB. I planned on my current location being my last tour – but once they offered me a promotion and a chance to get to Alaska, it was too much to resist – so I’ll be on my way shortly.

So like I was saying -- I’ll be looking to rent a room or something to get me through almost the first year, while my son graduates high school and goes off to college. Once he’s set up – the wife will join me and we’ll have to find a place of our own.

Any recommendations for rentals or preferred areas of town would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Kyle McArthur

Welcome to the forum Kyle. You'll probably want to look at finding a place in North Pole somewhere. Alot of military from Eielson find houses in N.P. if they can't get on post. Alot of us from Wainwright do also. I think you'll find that you love it here in AK. My family has been here for a little over 3 years now, and my husband swears we are never leaving. I think he has finally found "home" after moving around for 17 years. If you need any info, please let me know.

Arlene

When moving your house hold north keep in mind the cost and if you keep an eye on craigslist there are so many great deals every day it almost makes you want to open a used furniture store. So many people come this way bringing everything they have then when they go back where ever that is they just want out and leave behind most of the stuff.This place can be home to some of the most expensive stuff anywhere and some of the best deals anywhere. Good Luck!

Default Travel Light

Power Drifter is right on this travel up light idea as in Kodiak where there is a massive Coast Guard base there is always a ton of stuff available (from furniture to cars) for sale especially during transfer season. It seems there are specific times when they move a lot of people in and out?? not sure if the other bases do that but it is worth looking into for your furniture moving woes.

Good to hear of another military guy coming up to stay. Hope it goes well for ya. I'm not military but I really appreciate the type of people you folks are and "Welcome To Alaska"

Thumbs up

Wow! Thanks for all the great info and the warm welcome – really encouraging and much appreciated.
    Though I expect to love it up there, I am not so naive to predict we’ll definitely stay forever. The wife and I are definitely excited about what we have learned so far and are both looking forward to the possibility that this could be our last big move. Like you, AKHuntressNP, we have been bumping around the country and world for the better part of the last 19 years – it is time to label somewhere home, for sure.
    I like the idea of traveling light. I will definitely be starting out that way – then we’ll have to decide what to ship up later.
    Regards,
    Kyle

Default Flying up for a previewin June

I am going to fly up in mid-June for one week to get a mission briefing and meet some folks -- so I will get a nice one-week preview of what is to come. I am excited at the prospect.
    Still looking for a roommate, so I will use the time to try and narrow this search as well.
    Looking forward to coming up -- and still preparing for the my drive up the Alaskan Highway in July!
    Kyle

http://www.city-data.com/forum/alaska/ is another great forum.
    If you are driving www.Milepost.com is a must.

Thanks for the info . . .

Default Half-way There

I made it to Central Montana today and will be in Canada by tomorrow -- half-way point and so far so good. Started getting into the beautiful country about the South Dakota & Wyoming border and its been gorgeous ever since.

Looking forward to getting to the Alaska Hwy --

Default Made Fairbanks today

Survived the ALCAN -- pretty uneventful drive actually. The last hundred miles of the Canadian side was pretty beat up and bumpy -- but otherwise just two short pieces of gravel construction over the whole length of it.

My odometer tripped the 5,000 mark just as I pulled into town -- so I am now officially a few miles from home.

I saw lots of wildlife -- caribou, buffalo, sheep, and a black bear -- all in the Yukon. It was blue sky nearly the entire trip as well -- just a couple hours of sprinkles.

It was well worth the effort! Now looking forward to experiencing Alaska -- Thanks for the help.

K