Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: browning BLR 358 win.

Default browning BLR 358 win.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Browning BLR or the 358 win. in Alaska, I'm looking for an all around quick handling medium range gun for caribou up to bear, pros and cons...................Thanks

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I've owned 5 different riles/handguns chambered in 358 Winchester. One of them happened to be a BLR 81.

The 358 Winchester is a very under rated cartridge. Winchester missed the boat on this one with it's advertising calling it a good brush cartridge. With a good 225 or 250 grain spitzer bullet this cartridge is suitable for any animal to walk the North American Continent out to about 250 yards.

I had a Remington 721 custom job with a 24" barrel that would launch a 225 Nosler Partition just over 2500 FPS. My SSP 91 single shot pistol would launch the 200 grain Barnes X bullet to just over 2400 FPS with a 15" barrel. My 2 powders of choice were H322 and H335 with a Federal 210 primer to ignite it. AA2015 and RL15 would also be good choices.

My present lever gun chambered in 35 caliber is a pretty little Winchester 94 AE in 356 Winchester shooting 210 hard cast bullets.

I agree with Allen that the 358 Winchester round did not get a fair chance on the market.
    Being a 35 cal by 308 case,,, gee look at Federal trying to launch their 338 cal by 308 case cartridge.

The 81 BLRs are kinda cool in that the bolt is cammed forward by the lever with a gear tooth set-up. They are super strong.

Word has it that Browning is going to market a BLR in 325 Short Mag and 450 Marlin. (basically a short 458 winchester with the rimmed moved up).
    They have been testing the proto types during the last year. The 325 mag was described as being a real handfull in that light carbine.
    The 450 Marlin was descibed as being simply obnoxious to fire.

xx

Default BLR

Browning is already producing a BLR in .325 and stainless to boot!
    For a lefty wanting more power it has to be an option. Many of the BLR versions are now available in stainless.

As stated, the .358 is highly underrated. A 220 or 250 moving along at over 2,200 fps is nothing is potent.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Browning is now making the BLR's in a take down version. Check them out on there web site.
    Tennessee

What the heck??

Oh I see,,, I left out a word, "takedown version" when referring to the 325 and 450 Marlin. They were supposed to be released for the 2007 season which is just about now...

It won't let me edit the older post from a couple hours ago. But it will let me edit this one.... Weird......

xx

Default Updated Site

Browning must have updated their site. I looked for the stainless BLR's and they are all gone. They are pushing the "Takedown" version now.

Might want to check around for a stainless .325 before they are all gone or a .358.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

A few months ago I was thinking about a BLR as an aircraft rifle, i think I posted some questions here, The take-down feature is nice for carrying in a Super Cub, but I am not so sold on the light-weight alloy receivers.
    A little take-down 358 win carbine would be dandy....

Heck, if they can make lightweight 44 mags now (S&W 329) I have no fear of an alunimum receiver on a lever action rifle. I am sure the bolt and the locking lugs are steel.
    Tennessee

Default BLR

I have 2 BLR's with the alloy recievers, one since about 1986 and a Stainless one that I have'nt shot yet. The recievers are plenty strong and the rack and pinion bolt is steel. Have not had any problems.

I was thinking in terms of the take-down parts (interrupted screw) wearing out and becoming sloppy over time. I still tend to think of how it should shoot when my grandkids are running around the woods ....

Do any of you have one in 300 WM? If so, how do you like it?
    Tennessee

Default BLR

Own one in a .308 and one is a .358 Norma mag. Like them both.

I can pipe up on behalf of the 358, having once owned it in a Win M-88. I replaced that years ago with a Savage 99 in 358 and have used it for almost 30 years up here. Dandy, dandy round as all the others have pointed out. In a light levergun with a receiver sight, it's hard to beat as a carry gun. The promised BLR stainless 325 really peaked my interest when it appeared on Browning's site last fall, but I wasn't aware that any were ever turned loose. Love to have one, but I wouldn't give up my 358 to get it.

The 358 Norma is a heck of a round. Sure it isnt a 358 Winchester?
    Tennessee

Default BLR

I am positive its a .358 Norma Mag, I had it made that way.

Who did the rebarreling work for you? Sounds promising. A take down 338 WM or 338/06
    Tennessee

Default 358 Norma BLR??

Quote Originally Posted by talkeetnakid View Post
    I am positive its a .358 Norma Mag, I had it made that way.
    I don't believe the BLR action is long enough to handle the 3.400" length of the 358 Norma. Can that action be modified to accept such a round?
    Seems like a lot of work, and expense. I've heard of 350 RM but not a 358 NM. Hmmmmm. Interesting.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

The BLR came in 2 action lengths. SA and LA.

Default The Long and Short of it...

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    The BLR came in 2 action lengths. SA and LA.
    Thanks, Allen, I never knew that. I've never seen anything but the short actions. Good enough.

I'm not a fan of the rifle, I just don't like the looks,I guess, so have only owned a few as trading stock, they were all 308 length, 308, 284, 358 Win.

Thanks for the info, I'll be less ignorant from now on.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast