Thread: Taxidermy prep services

Default Taxidermy prep services

I haven't spoken to any taxidermists yet, but I'm starting to get overrun in my freezer from critters that I'd like to mount up. I haven't dug too deep into finishing the hides for mounting like turning the ears, lips, etc. and fully fleshing. What I'd like to do is have them completed for tanning so they will keep better and I can make room in my freezer. I can send them off for tanning, so all I'm looking for is the pre-tanning work being completed correctly.

Is it common for taxidermists to take in this kind of work? Anybody have recommendations for me in the Fairbanks/North Pole area? What I have is a musk ox for a shoulder mount, the musk ox rear cape, 6' grizzly and 2 caribou capes. All of the skulls have been removed.

Default ...

J-
    I'd talk to a taxidermist. I use Kevin Hickman, Alaska Precision Taxidermy (located in Fairbanks). I've been plesantly happy with what he has done for me (goat shoulder, bear rug x2, wolverine rug). I've seen a musk ox he has done (niiiice job on it). I'd ask whomever you plan on taking it to and see what they want. Some taxis want to make sure it is done how THEY like it, which is one advantage to having them do it. However, they can probably line you out on how to do it, and what type of tan you need ect...

As for the rear of the ox, have you seperated the hide yet? I sent my whole hide in for the shoulder mount, and just had the taxi cut what he needed and sent me the rest. I was too worried about cutting it to short (only to have the taxi screw up the mount....but at least I got the back half done).

If you know what you are doing, I think this would be an acceptable way to do things though. Just KNOW what type of tans are needed and done on your animals so you can pass that on to the taxidermist so he knows what he is working with.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default Fairbanks Tannery can do it

The Fairbanks Tannery will take care of everything you desire.

Obviously the Fairbanks Tannery tans hides, but he also does fleshing/turning services, if you choose to have your hides tanned elsewhere. The pricelist is on the wall when you walk in. I think it was $40.00 per bou hide.

If you do not have all of the cash now for tanning services, you can have all the hides fleshed/turned properly and then salted down. Capes will keep for a while salted/dried. I have heard capes will last two years salted and dried. I am not a tanner, but I would think you could get at least a year to find the cash to get the tanning done.

I just turned in some bou capes to a different tannery from last fall that I had the Fairbanks tannery flesh and salt down for me. Capes were in great shape. Quality work.

Fairbanks Tannery also uses a chemical bath to preserve velvet antlers. The skulls must be split for this process. I have antlers that were done 4 years ago and they still look great and I have had no slipping or rotting of velvet.

Give me a call, we can work something out for you. I am getting low on work now anyway. That is until spring bears start coming in, then all bets are off.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Default how long until mounting?

I was actually told by a taxidermist that it is best to just flesh and salt if you don't know how long it will be until you mount it. It will pretty much keep indefinitely. Ask your taxidermist what their opinion is on that matter. It would suck to have your ox tanned, and then 8 years down the road when you finally get around to mounting it, it falls apart during rehydration.

Default flesh and dry

The trick with fleshing and drying is you need to have the appropriate atmosphere in which a dried hide is stored. It should be dehumidified and kinda warm. Essentially not allowing anything to grow and maintain dryness.

I personally like to get my stuff to a taxi for tanning and inspection. I do all my own fleshing, salting, drying, turning ect......

In fact I've got a bear skull on the stove right now because I was tired of seeing it in my freezer waiting for the process of cleaning.

Talk honestly with a taxi about payment plans. Explain to him/her that your not a rich hunter just a sucessful one. Maybe with a solid down payment a layaway type contract could be made.

Good luck and what a great year you had!

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. I've got a back half of a bison and some fox to pick up from Al at the tannery, so I'll take a look at what he has to offer there. I'm not sure I want to load him up any more though, I'm not overly thrilled with his turn around, and I don't want my stuff going from one freezer to another.

Tucker, I return home in a couple of weeks, and we make it out to North Pole generally once a week since my daughter plays on the Cyclones NP comp soccer team. If we can work something out, I can bring them out to you. I need to defrost the freezer and pull the musk ox out of there. What a bulky critter! Thanks for the offer!

No problem Jerod, give me a call when you get home.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083