Thread: grayling on Prince of Wales?

Default grayling on Prince of Wales?

the POW visitor's guide says there are grayling on POW, but it doesn't mention where.

anybody have any idea on streams or lakes that have them?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by brad1st View Post
    the POW visitor's guide says there are grayling on POW, but it doesn't mention where.

anybody have any idea on streams or lakes that have them?

thanks!
    Can't say I've heard there are any on POW, it sure is possible. We have grayling that were planted on Ketchikan many years ago and I don't think it is listed in any publications.

I was actually just talking about this today with a guy.

Apparently they planted grayling in two lakes. Lake Josephine and Lake Shinaku. (not sure if that's the right name, but Shinaku Cr comes out of it.

Josephine is accessible by float plane only, unless you are one hell of a hiker. Shinaku seems much more doable by foot, but probably a 2-3 hour hike unless you fly in.

I'll try to verify this with the forest service tomorrow.

They also planted some in Antler Lake north of Juneau some time back.

Not sure if they are still there.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I was actually just talking about this today with a guy.

Apparently they planted grayling in two lakes. Lake Josephine and Lake Shinaku. (not sure if that's the right name, but Shinaku Cr comes out of it.

Josephine is accessible by float plane only, unless you are one hell of a hiker. Shinaku seems much more doable by foot, but probably a 2-3 hour hike unless you fly in.

I'll try to verify this with the forest service tomorrow.
    wow. thanks for the info.
    did you follow up with the FS? if so, what did they say?

Might be four or five lakes but which lakes they are remains a mystery to me.. But they are all on top of mountains, and some of them surrounded by native corp lands. The lakes in the regs that you are allowed to use bait are the ones that might have grayling. I talked to a few of the FS guys, and they were a little unsure as to the exact lakes.

I'm going to hike to the lakes I legally can in the next month to check them out first hand. I'll let you know.

Default pow grayling

I have a list of the planted lakes ... somewhere ... I'll try to look it up ...

I have been told there are some in Josepine but they are very small. I think I remeber being told that they died off at the other plant sites.

A list would be great.. It seems the more people I talk to, the longer the list of lakes grow, but I can't find anybody who has actually caught any.

Somebody told me last week that the lake up on One Duck got some grayling.. We'll see!

Default one duck

which lake? the alpine or the one by the road?

The one by the road was planted with steelhead from the Klw hatchery.

Default the info man

Do you know Glenn Freeman the retired ADF&G biologist ?

Has a place at 3 mile Klw lake. He is the go to guy for POW freshwater info.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    which lake? the alpine or the one by the road?

The one by the road was planted with steelhead from the Klw hatchery.
    the alpine lake. Once the snow gets cleaned off I'll take a walk up there to cast a line.

Default grayling plants ...

I don't know of any fish in that lake.

I have found data that Freeman stated that there were 3 lakes planted with Grayling in the 60's and 70's ... I found other data on Grayling in Josephine and Summit lakes ...

I do remember a 3rd lake in data somewere. I used to get those lakes written into my Guide permit back in the 80's ... just for the possible Grayling fishing ... it could be that Shinaku Lake is the 3rd.

The freshwater regs on POW lists these 4 lakes as being landlocked without cutthroat and rainbow trout. I'm thinking they would be a good place to start looking too. Copied from the regs-

Landlocked lakes without cutthroat or rainbow trout (Marge Lake, Mellen Lake, Shinaku Lake, Summit Lake):- The use of bait is allowed year-round.