Thread: Can't make the meeting! Ask your question here.

Default Can't make the meeting! Ask your question here.

So if you can't attend this meeting how about asking your questions here. I will do my best to get the answers for you.

Thumbs up

How many Moose are in Unit 14 A B & C? (barring estimates, I would like real numbers)
    When and how were the last Moose Count Survey's conducted?
    Why isn't there a Potlach Moose Hunt conducted in Anchorage Proper or in Unit 14C, Elmendorf or Ft. Richardson?
    What is the Maximum Moose Carrying Capacity of Unit 14 A B & C?
    How can this Maximum Capacity be reached?
    What is Fish & Game doing to improve Moose Habitat in Unit 14 A B & C?
    How many Potlatch Hunts are conducted each year in Unit 14 A B & C?
    Where do the majority of Potlach Hunt Requests originate? Anchorage/Wasilla/Palmer
    What is F&G's estimate of illegitimate/unrequested Potlach Hunts that result in a poached moose?
    What are F&G's estimates of the number of moose poached in Unit 14 A B & C each year?
    What is F&G doing to reduce moose road and train kills in Unit 14 A B & C?

Thanks for you taking the time to do this. Mucho Appreciated.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Question

Were any of my questions asked or answered?
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Questions?

I don't know but that was a good set of requests!
    Did the local Bio show up.
    What happened with the cow hunt moratorium?
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Default Kodiak Caribou story

Not sure what meetings you are at but can you ask what the story is on the Kodiak Island Caribou/Reindeer herd

Big restriction on hunt last year, why, and do they have any idea what is going on there with population?

Thanks

Here is what I got from Tony the night of our meeting. Answer below in CAPS
    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    How many Moose are in Unit 14 A B & C? (barring estimates, I would like real numbers). 14A & B 6,600. 14C ASK RICK SINNOTT
    When and how were the last Moose Count Survey's conducted? FALL 2009 FOR 14A & B.
    Why isn't there a Potlach Moose Hunt conducted in Anchorage Proper or in Unit 14C, Elmendorf or Ft. Richardson? ASK RICK SINNOTT
    What is the Maximum Moose Carrying Capacity of Unit 14 A B & C?
    How can this Maximum Capacity be reached? WE ARE PAST IT IN 14A, 14B WE ARE REDUCING PREDATORS, MANIPULATING HABITAT, REGULATING HARVEST, REDUCING POUCHING
    What is Fish & Game doing to improve Moose Habitat in Unit 14 A B & C? 14A RGS PROJECT, WORKING WITH AMF, FORSTERY, MAT-SU BOROUGH + OTHERS ENCOURAGING TIMBER HARVEST
    How many Potlatch Hunts are conducted each year in Unit 14 A B & C? 36 NOTICES LAST TWO YEARS IN 14A/B
    Where do the majority of Potlach Hunt Requests originate? Anchorage/Wasilla/Palmer ANCHORAGE AND EAGLE RIVER
    What is F&G's estimate of illegitimate/unrequested Potlach Hunts that result in a poached moose?DON'T KNOW
    What are F&G's estimates of the number of moose poached in Unit 14 A B & C each year? ??????
    What is F&G doing to reduce moose road and train kills in Unit 14 A B & C?
    MVMVC, MCMC GROUP, WORKING WITH AMF, AGREEMENTS WITH AK RR.
    Thanks for you taking the time to do this. Mucho Appreciated.
    The issue of harvesting Potlatch in Anchorage boils down to we are unable to discharge a firearm in Anchorage. I brought up that the department can and has shot moose in ANC before and can do it again. So why don't you make it that the potlatch people go with ADF&G and harvest the moose together. This would make sure they are only harvesting one moose, it gets reported and they remove a moose from a over populated anchorage area.

Have an copy of an email from ADF&G (got it thru the FOIA) that shows the department back in 1984 stated the max capacity of moose was 400-600. Believe just last year Rick stated that there are over 1500 moose. So Anchorage has plenty of moose.

So there it is. I also asked that the department invite the MAT valley AC to their potlacth meetings since this subject will not be droped by our AC.

Thumbs up

Thank You Troy. Seems as though their answers only raise more questions. As far as Potlatch Moose goes in the Anchorage area, they could have their hunters take a moose on Ft. Rich, Elmendorf or the Chugach State Park. Doesn't Chugiak have an area legal for the taking of moose with firearms as well? All of these areas allow the use of firearms, without exception. If they never want the Moose population to exceed 6K in 14 A&B, the area hunters are in deep kimshee for future hunting opportunities. Shouldn't the area be considered to be placed in the Tier II Status, based on the factors at hand?
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    Here is what I got from Tony the night of our meeting. Answer below in CAPS

The issue of harvesting Potlatch in Anchorage boils down to we are unable to discharge a firearm in Anchorage. I brought up that the department can and has shot moose in ANC before and can do it again. So why don't you make it that the potlatch people go with ADF&G and harvest the moose together. This would make sure they are only harvesting one moose, it gets reported and they remove a moose from a over populated anchorage area.

Have an copy of an email from ADF&G (got it thru the FOIA) that shows the department back in 1984 stated the max capacity of moose was 400-600. Believe just last year Rick stated that there are over 1500 moose. So Anchorage has plenty of moose.

So there it is. I also asked that the department invite the MAT valley AC to their potlacth meetings since this subject will not be droped by our AC.
    i was able to listen to the Valley ac member give his presentation, and feel he did a good job explaining parts of this issue about hunting in the populated areas of the Vally... and though his comment about bullets bouncing off Valley residents easier then Anchorage residents was well placed and a good point!