Thread: a.t.v. tracks

Default a.t.v. tracks

I have swithched from hunting with a weasil track rig to a 4 wheeler does anyone have experience with aftermarket tracks? What are the good and bad points. Thanks Brian

I'm just blowing smoke because I've never ridden a wheeler with tracks but I can't imagine what steering one in the tundra would be like. Maybe that would be the real test for the Grizzly 700 with power steering.

I did see a fellow that had dual wheels front and back on a Honda 4 wheeler one time. He had rigged it up to go across creeks and swamps but he said he could barely turn it at low speeds.

The guy I saw with the dually Honda (on the Rex several years back) had smaller diameter tires on the outside so steering wouldn't be affected on normal ground.

I've seen a few ATVs with the tracks on the back, but mostly the 6 wheeled Polaris. Haven't seen any with the pricey track systems on all 4 corners.

I saw a couple with 2 of them in the summer of 04 up in Hatchers. They helped pulling one of my wheelers out. They went though the same stuff no problem. They loved them but said they were heavy and sometime difficult to steer, took some getting used to. Forgot the machines they were on tho. Looked pretty cool.

Default atv tracks

i'm kind of interested in them, too. i just moved to AK, and we had some really good wind yesterday, making drifts all over the places. really wanted to get some comments from people that have used them. anybody else have any experience with them, or know how good they'll float if i'm dealing with the dry, drifting powder?

Here's a good video on you-tube that might answer some of your questions. Looks like they work pretty well.

700Grizz W/Tracks

i wish i could get into youtube at work. quite a few useful sights are blocked here - youtube, photobucket, hard to say what else. i spend quite a bit of time over at predator masters forums, and can't even see any of the pictures that people submit, because it won't load those pics from photobucket, or most of the other photo sites.

Well, I'll give you a quick run-down then. It appears to be the owner of a multi-brand ATV track system distributing company doing a test of one of his products on the new 700 Grizzly. The thing has absolutely no trouble going through 5 feet of powder. He also says that there are no steering problems with the electric steering assist on the Grizz. The guy gives a good sales pitch for Yamaha, too. It looks like it accelerates fairly well, but I would suspect the system might bog down smaller ATV's a bit. I went to the guy's website an checked it out. The kits all run over $3K. But for something that enables your 4wheeler to go where even most snowmachines get stuck, I'd be tempted to fork out the cash if I had it.

Edit: The guys site is www.atvtrackkit.com

the "go anywhere" ability is what i'm after. and out here, the snow machines are so overpriced, that it's gotten me interested in the atv tracks. i'm just not sure i'm willing to drop $3k to try them out. i'll have to dig through his website some more when i have a little more time. i really wish i could try a set out before i dive into buying a set.

I agree. I'd have a hard time dropping that much cash unless I was sure it was worth the investment. I've seen a few 4wheelers around with the tracks on them. Maybe you'll get lucky and run into one. Then you can talk to the owner and get his take.

I'm thinking about looking for a set for my wife's Big Bear, but I'm not sure if it has the power to turn them. They all add over 200 LBS to the machine.

Point-I like the idea of his next generation kits that are all season. Can't spend that kind of $ and not be able to use year round. Tracks look well made and perform good too.

Counterpoint-Had to laugh when he hit the snow drift and only spun one front track. Get true 4 wheel drive! He obviously has never been in 5 feet of dry interior Alaska snow. Doubt that will happen. Also hard to believe it will go thru more snow than a sled (ie. widetrack).

For sure have there uses and wouldn't mind having a set to test out.

The tracks lower your gearing almost in half so the power issue won't exist. I have talked to several guys that run tracks on trucks and they do not have any problems with not having enough power. Granted quads are different. They look like some good products, I wonder how fast parts wear when running them all year. That river silt is very destructive. I also wonder what river and stream crossings are going to be like with those on?

Alaska Fun Center here in Fairbanks has a couple quads with tracks on them. There is also a guy up here who is a dealer and i have seen him drive around with a Griz with tracks on it in the back of his truck. He probably has a quad you could test drive. I think he calls himself the TrackMan. You could call the Fun Center and find out I'm sure.

i wish i could get up there to try them out, but i live down by dillingham. costs me about $400 for a a trip to anchorage and back. it's been so warm here over the last week that i wouldn't be using them right now. hoping it cools back down soon. the tundra is half thawed out, snow almost gone, really sloppy. actually, now might be a really good time to have them. or they might just get me in trouble out on the tundra.

Quote Originally Posted by schloss View Post
    i wish i could get up there to try them out, but i live down by dillingham. costs me about $400 for a a trip to anchorage and back. it's been so warm here over the last week that i wouldn't be using them right now. hoping it cools back down soon. the tundra is half thawed out, snow almost gone, really sloppy. actually, now might be a really good time to have them. or they might just get me in trouble out on the tundra.
    I was just bemoaning the loss of snow last night, for the umpteenth time. I told my wife we really need an Argo. She just looked at me. But the ground isn't hard enough for a wheeler, no snow for a sled, not enough water for a boat. Argo with softtop and rack, front winch w/brushguard, rear winch, boat motor mount, those tracks from that outfit in Canada. What's that, about $20,000.00?