Thread: Moving from Tampa Bay, FL area to Matanuska-Susitna, AK area this May! :-)

Matanuska-Susitna, AK / Tampa Bay, FL Areas

Default Moving from Tampa Bay, FL area to Matanuska-Susitna, AK area this May! :-)

Yes, yes, yes! My three teens and I are moving from Tampa Bay, FL area to Matanuska-Susitna, AK area this May! :-) We have purchased a lot in the Matanuska-Susitna, AK area and plan to build there over the summer. From the South East most state to the North West most state. From 90 to 95 degrees where most stay inside away from the heat for 9 months of the year to where it may or not be above freezing for 4 to 5 months of the year. How COOL! Literally! I am going to love it and I am sure they will too! There is something really special in cuttling up in a quilt watching a fire in a Franklin Wood Stove or a fireplace and drinking hot chocolate and just talking about most anything.

My children have lived in a semi tropical city environment for all but 1 year of their lives and never go outside. They lived for one year up North where there was snow when they were small. I, on the other hand, grew up in the woods of the North where my parents lived off the land with no electricity or running water. After which, I and my spouse moved to the Northwoods of Wisconsin for 6 years. I remember those days in fond memories where sometimes it would get 40 below and you couldn't get it warmer than 50 to 55 degrees inside. Oh, how I miss it. I hate the heat and don't do well down here. We have only stayed here because of my Mother who relocated to Florida 20 years ago. Now, we are free to go where we please.

Everyone is very excited about the move and everyone is chipping in where they can. We purchased a small Diesel Motor Home to stay in for the trip and to pull our Highly modified Jeep Cherokee Mud Bogger 4x4 on a trailer. We will be traveling the Alaskan Highway. Any and all positive advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Enjoy fishing redfish while you can. We moved up from West Palm Beach and keep a place down there. Take your time on the drive up, especially once you hit British Columbia. Be careful about taking guns through Canada.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Ahhh, Redfish from the edge of the mangrove down by Ft De Soto, Speck trout in the grass flats and Snook from the little manatee..... Yeah that is some fishing I miss!! (The only thing I miss). Nothing like sitting on the bow of a 20' center console walkaround w/ a beer in your hand catching fish in the bay.

We made this move in 2007 but the mil shipped our vehicles and we flew up. I have done the drive a few times over the years and absolutly agree w/ Phish's coments on taking your time in BC. It is simply beautiful country!!

we would info on moving to alaska from someone who already lives there please ?

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    PhishFinder and Lujon both live in Alaska.

Default Moving to Alaska

OK Becky, what kind of information are you looking for? On how to make the move, what to expect on the trip, what it's like living here??

Hi Becky. You have the same name as my second daughter, however, I am absolutely sure she would not be on this Forum. She's pretty rooted in Pennsylvania with her children there. I wish I could be of assistance to you.

Yes, I will miss the fishing here in the Bay and my daughter will miss Busch Gardens. My sons never leave the front of their computer screens so they will go through withdrawal since we will not have services for a while. Alaska has it's own sport fish and where we will be I will not be tied to a lottery to be able to hunt.

I wish we would be off the Grid like we were in Wisconsin, however, the children we raised then are grown and have families of their own. My youngest daughter is in a International Baccalaureate Middle School and she wishes to remain in one since she is in Gifted Advanced Classes. What is awesome... she can because Palmer High School is also an International Baccalaureate School. My 17 year old boy wants to go to Community College and my 15 year old son really doesn't care very much about anything except his online games.

The children will be going through changes moving from City Life to Country Life and Shorts, T-Shirts, and Slides to Pants, Coats, and Boots. I am so happy they are excited about this move.

I moved to Palmer last week, its a great area with incredible views of the surrounding mountains. The roads are great, the people are friendly, and the weather has been hospitable since arrival from Oregon. The hiway to Anchorage is smooth and fast.

Here is a recent pic of the Palmer-Wasilla area road.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...pictureid=9064

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Becky, this entire forum is the answer to your two very general questions on two separate threads. The majority of the people that reply to questions on this forum already live here.

If you have specific questions then post them, but it is likely that those questions have already been asked and answered over the past years, so if you read the various threads on moving up you will gain a very good understanding of what the adventure entails.

However, you may find something you need specific answers to and will need to ask the question. None of us know what that answer is until you ask the question.

And to answer your very general question with a very general answer - Moving to Alaska envolves a lot of driving.

KevinsDriftboat, now that is what I call a view! Thanks.

We purchased a plot back in here. The dirt road to the highway is only 4.5 miles or so. Our plot is a walk through the wood to the Highway. When we lived in the Northwoods of Wisconsin we were much further out. I homeschooled my kids for a few years until we moved to Tennessee. My goodness that was 25-30 years ago. I am not even going to try and homeschool these kids of mine. They are way too far ahead of me and what was taught 25-30 years ago was far less than what kids have to know today.
    Attached Images Attached Images