Thread: Trout fishing on the Deshka and Little Su?

Default Trout fishing on the Deshka and Little Su?

Hello Folks!

First I must explain I live in England and am making my fishing trip of a lifetime to Alaska in July. I am travelling alone and if we start from a point where I know nothing - then you will get the picture!!

I am spending four days at Deshka Landing where I am fixed up with a guide, but after that I am moving up to Sheep Creek for another 4 days. Whilst I am at Deshka it will be predominantly salmon, but when I am on my own I would like to have a crack at some of your Rainbows. Can you advise on any good spots in these areas where a 77 year old-timer can access easily? Would they be rivers or lakes?

Any information on flies would greatly help.

Many thanks,

From the "Cor blimey! Limey"

PS When I come out of the door at the airport at Anchorage do I turn left or right? (I told you I know nothing!!!!)

I can tell you the trout fishing at sheep creek is good. It is probably my favorite creek to fish. I assume the Deshka would be the same way since it is on the same system but could tell you for sure, I've never fished it. On sheep look for salmon holding in deep pools or on stretches of gravel. Thrown an egg imitation or flesh fly behind them and there you should find some trout along with grayling and dollies. Good luck and glad you decided to come visit us!
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Thanks for the information. I am tying some egg patterns, which I do not use over here, but I am not sure how big, or small, to tie them. What sort of diameter are they?

Thanks again for your help.

Talking Lived on the Deshka for last30 Plus years

I have spent the better part ofthe last 30 summers on the Deshka, some of it was as a guide and the rest chaseing anthting that can breath under water. The first time I ever float it was 1969. The later in july yoou make your trip the better off you will be. When I targrt Bow I start about 4to 5 miles up river an go up aas far as water will let me go. For the last few years I haave gone to fly fishing, in July and August flesh and bears work best, never give up o the ole egg sucking leech. One of my all time favorite is a baattle creek tied in all sizes inculding for salmon. I am countint the days I am normally on the river by the first part of May. If you are interested it a float trip there is oustanding fishing above the forks

Big Fisherman

Default egg pattern diameters

Most commonly you will find 8mm, but for fishing behind kings try a bit larger ~10mm.

Thanks for the guidance - I must get my scissors out for a little trimming!! I am told that salmon lay about three thousand eggs each - and looking at my egg flies I reckon it would need a salmon the size of an Orca whale to carry them !!

Where to start is always a trick. If you start in Anchorage hit mountain view sports. You won't go wrong. I'm a guide and I've lived here my whole life and that shop still impresses me. They will put you on the current bugs. I would be sure to bring a few colors of sculpins and leaches. They work everywhere in every water condition on almost all game fish up here. I've used sculpins on rainbows, lakers, dollies, kings, grayling... List goes on, a must for any fly box.
    River Runnin

Default Susitna Rainbow Fishing Guide