Thread: Garmin Oregon 400t GPS

Default Garmin Oregon 400t GPS

I would like to hear from anyone that has used the Garmin Oregon 400t gps. It is a touch screen and would like to know how it worked with gloves on. Did the preloaded maps work well and have good detail? or did you need to load more maps. Thanks, Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    I would like to hear from anyone that has used the Garmin Oregon 400t gps. It is a touch screen and would like to know how it worked with gloves on. Did the preloaded maps work well and have good detail? or did you need to load more maps. Thanks, Ryan
    I can't say specifically about the 400 but I got the 300 last fall and bought the software I like. If you are using light gloves or liners and have a light touch you will probably be OK. I have short fat fingers so I have to go bare handed. One other thing the compass on mine has to be recalibrate almost every time I use it. On a scale o 1 to 10 I would give it a 7.5 or 8. You also need to get some good rechargeable batteries regular batteries don't last long.
    Chuck

Default Garmin 400T

I have owned a Garmin 400T since last summer. I like the unit, I like it alot. The graphics are nice, the operation of the unit is fairly straightforward, as I'm not much of a techie kind of guy....I'm more of a rock and a stick kinda guy. And I'll never leave my Cammenga Compass home.....even when I have the Garmin 400T.

That said, I do not think the maps that are preloaded provide enough detail for my needs. I've spent a few hundred dollars and now own most the western ConUS (lower 48) in detailed maps. The preloaded maps are the equivalent to 1 to 100,000 USGS maps and the detailed maps come out to roughly 1 to 24,000 or 7 1/2 minute maps. That is for me the gold standard in detail. The unit is fairly easy to upload and download on the computer. It is easy to navigate around the programing within the unit.

I wish the unit was made to use the 3 volt lithium CR123 batterise, but rather it takes the standard AA size. As previously stated the AA Alkaline batteries do not last very long. For best life one must purchase the AA Lithium batteries. They are pricey.

Recently I purchased a Surefire Headlamp which uses both the CR123 batteries or the AA sized batteries. This is an outstanding feature to be able to utilize two different types of batteries in the same product. The CR123 batteries load 3 together sideways and the AA batteries load in pairs in the same battery tray, but at a 90 degree relationship to that which the CR123's load. Use one or the other, dependent upon what you have access to. That feature would be nice on the Garmin 400T.

The Garmin 400T uses this funky looking light duty carabiner that clips onto the back of the unit. It has proven to be more secure than I expected, but still does not look very durable since it's a plastic clip that the carabiner is fastened to.

I previously owned a Garmin Rino 300 and had to sell the unit since it was light years smarter than I was. I could not wrap my head around how to use all those features. But the Garmin 400T is much more user friendly. I highly recommend the 400T but emphasize the need to purchase the additional maps, which are $125 per issue. Substantial addition to the overall cost the unit.

You mileage and opinion may vary from mine.....and that's okay too.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Default Nice unit, screen could be 5x brighter...

I love everything about my 400T, but the screen is very dim. I turned up the brightness all the way, but it still would be nice if it were a lot brighter.

The 400T goes through batteries very quickly. I initially used lithium batteries, but found that bulk alkaline batteries from Costco last just as long at 1/4 of the price.

Default alaska topos

I don't believe that you can get alaska topos in 1:24K - they don't have them at the GIS center at the college.

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post

Best GPS I have ever owned hands down.

Rugged, waterproof, touch screen works well. Included topo is good enough for me.

Several mounting options, light weight.

Best thing though, you can have it burried in your back and it will stay locked 100% of the time.

I use this for geocaching and it's pretty darn accurate. Very easy to use. Costco on Dimond still had some for $329. I liked the fact that the topo maps also included trail maps such as in Kincaid Park.