Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last of the great Brown Bear Men

Post Last of the great Brown Bear Men

Bill Pinell and Morris Talifson created a legacy for bear hunters.They guided over 1000 sportsmen and their clients have accounted for one-third of all Kodiak brown bear listed in Records of North American Big Game published by the Boone and Crockett club.
    They where Legends,and my hunting heroes.RIP
    Anyone have the books by Marvin H. Clark Jr?
    Please discuss them here

I own copies of both books signed by the author. Never met either man, but my wife met Morris and I am friends with several folks who knew them. One friend who worked near their home at Akalura was given a number of mementos from their place before Morris left, they are fun to look at as reminder of how things used to be. The books are great reading and tell the story of a wonderful period on Kodiak Island and they are well illustrated with photos. That being said, I would say that the books are not entirely objective, but that does not detract from the reading. I would pick up a copy if you have a chance and would also try to get Kodiak Island and it's Bears by Harry Dodge. It is solid reading.

i agree kodiak island and its bears by dodge is one of the best reads on kodiak in a long time. covers alot to good history for the island with the first guides and some of the transplating they tried there...can you imagine if they left the racoons?? lol
    enjoy clarks books though too, pinnel and talifson hit a great time to be hunting bears. but geez talk about access issues, we think we've got it bad!! lol some of those guys would travel for two months just to hunt in alaska and we complain about not being able to get a 40 min flight!
    its great to step back in time and live in the moment, for anyone whos hunted bears on kodiak you can totally get immersered in those books.

hey svehunter that pick with the girl and the bear larrys daughter?

its from deltana outfitters homepage,yes i think it is his daughter

I got both of the books. I never met either one of them, however, my uncle used to guide for them back in the 70s.

Default The Final Frontiersman

Don't want to hijack the thread as it seems to be mostly dedicated to the stories of those that hunted the big browns of Kodiak, but I recently read The Final Frontiersman by James Campbell. Great story of Heimo Korth and his family. While reading this story I often thought of Frank Glasier and the Alaska Wolf Man story. Similar adventures but in more modern times and set in the Colleen River area. Well worth picking up this story. It is not available on this web site at the current time but is on the shelf in Fred Meyer's.

-Carnivore

Lightbulb Where to get the books

We have Last of the Great Brown Bear Men and Kodiak Island and Its Bears in our Alaska Outdoors Store along with many other titles about the Alaska outdoors.

<--start boast-->If I may be permitted a small boast, I believe that we have most extensive collection of Alaska outdoors titles anywhere....even more so than the big online stores. I came to this realization when I was looking on Amazon for a title...they didn't have it... <--end boast-->

David

Thumbs up I agree

I'll agree with you there David. I order lots of books and videos through this site. Just put in an order for five titles the other day. It is nice to have a place solely dedicated to Alaska literature. If possible I'd recommend adding The Final Frontiersman to you list. It is a great read. It is a fairly new book with a copywrite of 2004.

The Final Frontiersman
    by James Campbell
    ISBN-13 978-0-7434-5314-1
    ISBN-10 0-7434-5314-X

hey dave do you have Hunting Bears by Kathy Etling? the cover photo is one of my bears i guided for....amazon has it...lol

Talking More books

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    If possible I'd recommend adding The Final Frontiersman to you list. It is a great read. It is a fairly new book with a copywrite of 2004.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    hey dave do you have Hunting Bears by Kathy Etling? the cover photo is one of my bears i guided for....
    Good suggestions....I'll see if we can get them. If I am going to boast, I can't pass these up. <grin>

Thanks!

David

Default Quite a Pair

I had the pleasure of being an aquaintance of P&T from the early seventies until their retirement. Bill was quite a prankster with a rather ribald personality. Morris came across as pretty serious and thoughtful. I was hired by the Native corperation that asummed ownership of thier old cannery headquarters to oversee the demolition of the delapitated buildings and clean up the site. It was an interesting project to say the least. There were a few momentos left but most everything was looted as soon as Morris left (including the kitchen stove). Its to bad a serious effort was`nt made to preserve some of thier gear for a true tribute to the men and their accomplisments, but everyone wanted a piece so its pretty well scattered.

Speaking of BOOKS checkout 'Advanced Book Exchange" just Google ABE you will be amazed what can be found from their search engine. sorry I have`nt figured out how to do a link
    Happy New Year to You All

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    Don't want to hijack the thread as it seems to be mostly dedicated to the stories of those that hunted the big browns of Kodiak, but I recently read The Final Frontiersman by James Campbell. Great story of Heimo Korth and his family. While reading this story I often thought of Frank Glasier and the Alaska Wolf Man story. Similar adventures but in more modern times and set in the Colleen River area. Well worth picking up this story. It is not available on this web site at the current time but is on the shelf in Fred Meyer's.

-Carnivore
    I have read the books of P&T above, but someone in this forum mentioned "The Wolf Man" to me a few weeks ago (maybe it was you?), and my wife put a copy in my Christmas stocking along other stuff in there. All I can say is that I have had a great time reading this Alaska book. Very entertaining, with lots of history relating to the Valdez Trail, and colorful characters.

Default The Very Best

Wasn't me but it is my very favorite Alaska book. You should read The Final Frontiersman and On The Edge of Nowhere (The James Huntington story). Both are close behind Alaska Wolf Man in adventure and enjoyable reads.

-Carnivore

Default Will buy :)

Thanks, Carnivore.

Alaska Game Trails with a master guide. By Charles J. Keim
    Alaska State Library is a good read about Hal Wah not sure of the spelling on the guides last name. I used to go to grade school with his boy. Lots of Brown bear hunting the way it was.
    goldbelt

svehunter, Last of The Great Brown Bear Men, is my favorite book! Besides great kodiak bear hunting stories, it's the story of two men who persevered and became the best at their profession. Bill and Morris would have had more than 1/3 of all brown bears listed in the B&C record book, if they hadn't left the bear skulls in the field from their early years of hunting.

I wish I was born much earlier and had the opportunity to hunt with them, especially Morris. He's probably the greatest brown bear hunter of all time. I would have loved to hunt with them back in the 1950's when you could hunt anywhere on Kodiak. Could you imagine hunting at Karluk Lake, Frazer Lake, Red Lake and Dog Salmon Creek on the same hunt? That was brown bear hunting heaven back then and truly the end of an era.

Marvin Clark, thank you for writing this book!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakhunter View Post
    svehunter, Last of The Great Brown Bear Men, is my favorite book! Besides great kodiak bear hunting stories, it's the story of two men who persevered and became the best at their profession. Bill and Morris would have had more than 1/3 of all brown bears listed in the B&C record book, if they hadn't left the bear skulls in the field from their early years of hunting.

I wish I was born much earlier and had the opportunity to hunt with them, especially Morris. He's probably the greatest brown bear hunter of all time. I would have loved to hunt with them back in the 1950's when you could hunt anywhere on Kodiak. Could you imagine hunting at Karluk Lake, Frazer Lake, Red Lake and Dog Salmon Creek on the same hunt? That was brown bear hunting heaven back then and truly the end of an era.

Marvin Clark, thank you for writing this book!
    Could not agree more!
    Those times where truly the golden era of bear hunting!

Had to hold up at their cabin on Frazier Lake one time. Sheer delight. The walls of the cabin spoke volumes of their hunts. Even drank some of their fine whiskey. Not sure if the cabin still stands, but if so, it would be honorable for someone to documents its contents and perhaps preserve some of the etchings on the ceiling and walls. It was like being among great numbers of hunters that have all shared the same passion, Hunting Big Bears. Thanks for the flashback to my minds eye. The hunting fields remain, but the experience nowdays is all too different.

Smile

Was the whiskey Calvert`s
    Here s a good read Woodworth worked with Waugh in the fifties

THE KODIAK BEAR
    Woodworth, Jim
    Bookseller: Bill Mathieson Sporting Books
    (Malone, NY, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 99.00
    [Convert Currency]
    Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
    US$ 3.50
    [Rates & Speeds]

Book Description: Harrisburg The Stackpole Company 1958., 1958. Hardcover. Book Condition: Fine. Dust Jacket Included. 1st Edition. Very fine in a fine dust jacket. DJ in protective mylar. 8vo. 204 pages. FIRST edition. Dust jacket not price-clipped. This is an OUTSTANDING copy! Scarce. Heller 430. Illustrated by b&w photos, maps. 1st edition. Binding is hardcover. Bookseller Inventory # 003430

and of coarse you`ve all read this one

Monarch of Deadman Bay: The Life and Death of a Kodiak Bear (ISBN: 0140045759)
    Roger A. Caras
    Bookseller: BetterWorld.com
    (Mishawaka, IN, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 1.10
    [Convert Currency]
    Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
    US$ 2.99

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast