Thread: Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

Default Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

I'm fairly new to hunting and guns. I've been looking for a good hunting rifle for awhile now. I've narrowed my decision down to the Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in a 300. The rifle will be mainly used for moose and black bear. I'm looking for opinions on the rifle and suggestions on a scope. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

From what I hear, they're a quality piece of gear, for the $$$.
    Leupold all the way for me. My pets being. Vx11 2-7x33 & Vx3 2.5-8x36.

Cheers & good luck

Great choice on the rifle - Been looking at them myself in 30-06 for my daughter. I like a low power variable with lots of eye relief and low light capability - something along the lines of a 2x6 or 1.5x5. I have had really good luck with the Leupold scopes. Put something similar on your new 300 and you'll be set for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by 340Wby View Post
    From what I hear, they're a quality piece of gear, for the $$$.
    Leupold all the way for me. My pets being. Vx11 2-7x33 & Vx3 2.5-8x36.

Cheers & good luck
    +1 on the scope choice, add a set of Talley Lightweight rings and you are looking at a rifle that will hold dead on at 300yds with a 200yd zero with most loads. I just bought one in 325wsm. Out of the 4 production rifles I've bought recently this one is without a question been the best buy for the money, smooth operating and very good accuracy. The rifle setup with the above rings and scope will weight right at 8lbs. If you are going to hunt black bear over bait, don't over scope.

Steve

I think the good ol' 3-9X scope is about perfect on a .300. I just put a new Leupold VX-II on my .300 Wby.

Right now, in conventional rifles, Winchester 70s are the hottest ticket. I have sold out of 30-06s and 308s, twice already, and 300s once.

Nice guns.

Okay, next question. Where's a good place to buy one? I live in Soldotna, but am up in Anch-town frequently.