Thread: Boat shelters

Default Boat shelters

Does anybody have a recommendation for boat shelters? My neighbors PITA birch trees overhang the RV pad I'll be parking the boat on and I want to keep birch snot off of my new boat, and keep the snow off in the winter.

Dimensions on the trailer are: 33 feet long by 9.5 feet wide by 10.5 ft tall (to tip of rocket launchers)

I know of shelterlogic but does anybody know of any others that are readily available around here?

Thanks!
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Check out these guys, they are out of Fairbanks but work all over the state. They should be able to provide some options from just a cover to a complete enclosure.
    http://alaskadreamsinc.com/

I have about the same dimensions, except mine is at 13ft to the top of the radar. All the sheds I have looked at here in Alaska are not high enough, some in the lower 48 claim to be plenty big, built for a motorhome. Tent and Tarp on International has high quality, expensive ones, but relatively low for what you need, a pony wall would need to be built.

I park under birch trees, I build a giant frame and use a 25 x 40 foot tarp in the winter and suffer the 'birch left blues' in the fall. It sucks!

I remember somebody at the 2009 Sportsman Show who was selling boat/rv shelters, it looked like a good long-lasting shelter.

I just can't remember the dang name.

Last year those dang trees weeped sap snot from spring to fall - the aphids were all over them.
    "Dominion"

Default PVC frame and tarp

I built a 1 1/2 inch pvc frame in a couple of sections custom cut to fit my boat (26' Hewes AK plus trailer) and cover it with an industrial grey tarp (bought online from a place that sells tarps for semi's). It works great. The tarp has gone through 8 winters in Valdez and is still like new. The frame has a steep pitch, sits on the boat and comes off in 2 pieces plus a couple of front pieces, takes only a few minutes to put on and off. I might have a picture at home, traveling right now so don't have it on my laptop.

Pvc pipe and a strongback made of a 2x6 with 2x4's running down my gunnels. This has worked great for me for lots of years out here in the blowhole of Palmer. check out this post is did a few years ago. Come on out and take a look if you like, its on the boat right now.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=18980

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Make my own

The prices on premade shelters/canopies range from crazy to insane, I'm gonna make my own using these fittings:

http://www.ysbw.com/Medium-Peak-Cano...Frame-s/87.htm

And get 1 7/8 pipe from McKinley fence, the top I'll get at AK tent and tarp or the like.

Should save me at least 2 grand, and I get exactly the size and shape I need.
    "Dominion"

You could do like my neighbor did and have a 30 x 40 deep garage built. It was awful nice of him to build it large enough to house "Patience", too. Of course this is a bit more than the average boat owner will spend.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

That pipe you are looking at is 17/8" O.D. I'm not sure if the fitting are O.D. or I.D. but it will make a difference. I must have spoke with you on the phone a little bit ago.

Brad
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    The prices on premade shelters/canopies range from crazy to insane, I'm gonna make my own using these fittings:

http://www.ysbw.com/Medium-Peak-Cano...Frame-s/87.htm

And get 1 7/8 pipe from McKinley fence, the top I'll get at AK tent and tarp or the like.

Should save me at least 2 grand, and I get exactly the size and shape I need.

Be interested on how this all works out for you. I've tossed the idea around for a while for my boat and motorhome. Thought of a pole barn also with used pipe casing. Good luck

The if you poke around their web site they say the fittings are for fencing pipe. The best price I found for sched 20 fence pipe in Anc was $2.50 a foot at McKinley Fencing.

I figure the roof supports will be 6 feet apart, I'll use 650 net cord from B&Js to make a webbing between the pipe sections to further support the roof. The 650 cord is crazy strong and it has no stretch to it. Great stuff, and cheap.

BTW 550 parachute cord stretches quite a bit under sustained load (found out the hard way)

I did the webbing thing on my current sams club canopy the 17 foot boat is under and it works great. There's a way to tie supports so the bending load becomes a compression load on the pipe sections and a tension load on the cord, makes the roof MUCH stronger and can handle several feet of snow without deflection.

It probably was me on the phone, I called around town to 4 or 5 places.
    "Dominion"

The if you poke around their web site they say the fittings are for fencing pipe. The best price I found for sched 20 fence pipe in Anc was $2.50 a foot at McKinley Fencing.

I figure the roof supports will be 6 feet apart, I'll use 650 net cord from B&Js to make a webbing between the pipe sections to further support the roof. The 650 cord is crazy strong and it has no stretch to it. Great stuff, and cheap.

BTW 550 parachute cord stretches quite a bit under sustained load (found out the hard way)

I did the webbing thing on my current sams club canopy the 17 foot boat is under and it works great. There's a way to tie supports so the bending load becomes a compression load on the pipe sections and a tension load on the cord, makes the roof MUCH stronger and can handle several feet of snow without deflection.

It probably was me on the phone, I called around town to 4 or 5 places.

All of the pipe we sell for fences that will get wind load on them ( cedar fence with steel post or Slat Master chain link) always have SS40 pipe. Tubing may fold over with that kind of load under it. Just a thought. Feel free to stop by the office.
    Brad
    Mckinley fence
    Boatless

Fishface, what was the price on the schedule 40 and the sched 20 precut 6 and 8 foot lengths again? Your office is closed right now.

If I use the high peak connectors it gives me a 120 degree slope, which is a 7 in rise per horizontal foot. Using the 8 foot sections for the roof it gives a 14 foot width, which is perfect, I'll use the 6 foot pieces between each leg & roof section.

18 - 6 foot sections
    14 - 8 footers
    14 - 12 foot legs

Using 12 foot legs that gives me a peak thats 16'-1" above ground. Should give me clearance for the radar and dinghy.

Cr@p thats going to be tall..... I'll need to anchor it down REALLY well
    "Dominion"

Fishface, what was the price on the schedule 40 and the sched 20 precut 6 and 8 foot lengths again? Your office is closed right now.

If I use the high peak connectors it gives me a 120 degree slope, which is a 7 in rise per horizontal foot. Using the 8 foot sections for the roof it gives a 14 foot width, which is perfect, I'll use the 6 foot pieces between each leg & roof section.

18 - 6 foot sections
    14 - 8 footers
    14 - 12 foot legs

Using 12 foot legs that gives me a peak thats 16'-1" above ground. Should give me clearance for the radar and dinghy.

Cr@p thats going to be tall..... I'll need to anchor it down REALLY

well

Just shoot me a call in the morning and I'll help you out.
    Boatless

Default Shelterlogic wins

Did the numbers using 2.10 as the average price per foot for pipe. It comes out to about $1728 for fittings, pipe and tarp.

Shelterlogic wins, AIH has the 14' wide by 16' tall by 40' long for $2125 and it has internal bracing, full cover, footing, tensioners and 2.3 inch diameter legs/frame 4 feet apart and its an engineered item vs me mickey-mousing it all together.

That price is considerably cheaper than what I saw on the net in the lower 48. Dunno how they did it.

AIH didnt have any in stock, but they said it'd be in withing a couple of weeks.
    "Dominion"

Cap'n Ron. When you get a chance post those pictures up. I'd like to see what you did. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much did the shelter run you?

Default A couple of things...

first, Maast, those fittings you showed are too shallow in pitch, at least in Valdez I wouldn't expect them to shed show with a tarp on them, or to hold much weight or handle strong wind. Why don't you just use schedule 40 PVC poles and 45degree fittings?

My entire frame setup cost about $350, and the tarp I'm not sure but I think it was about $200 but initially I bought enough to completely wrap the boat and trailer, which was too much and not a good idea, air movement is good, so I doubled it over. Probably more now for a tarp, but that was an industrial grade semi-tarp, the best they had.

I've had a PM too to post what I did. I am traveling now but will be home thursday, and will find pics and post them. My frame members are on 16" spacing. I did NOT build a frame that I could park the boat under, I do not think being 16 foot tall that pvc would be strong enough. I built the frame to fit the top and stern of the boat with a common ridge pole height, then framed the bow with three poles, two on the boat, and the front pole down to the trailer winch; bungies and a perimeter rope hold it all. The wind blows strong in Valdez too and this has never been a problem. My friend where I leave my boat has gone out and knocked the snow off a couple times each season when they had a really heavy wet snow, or a snow that melted partially and restuck. Most of the time the 45 degree slope just sheds the snow.

The main point is to keep the birch snot off during the fishing season, the winter snow is just a bonus, it'd be a major pain in the @ss to routinely put on and take off a PVC boat cover.

The medium slope fittings I showed are 110 degree, the high peak ones are 120 degree, which is the standard slope for car canopies, I've got my 17 foot boat under one now and its doing great, but I had to do the cord web reinforcement for the roof since the pipe sections are 7 feet apart.

The shelterlogic garage also has a 120 degree slope. Or looked at another way its a 30 degree slope.
    "Dominion"

Default Tree

I believe you can legally cut the branches that extend over your property, so I'd be hacking the tree first...

Default Sorry everyone...

I tought we had taken pictures of the pvc frame on the boat, but couldn't find any. I only put my frame on at the end of the season, and take it off at the beginning, so having it fit on the boat works for us. A lot less pipe that way, and the boat can be moved with the frame and tarp on it, if need be. Need less tarp too!

I won't be back until late June, so I can take a picture then but that won't do any good for now