Thread: 45-70

Default 45-70

What would be a good load for bear brown and black ?

Default Buffalo Bore

Look into some of the offerings by Buffalo Bore.

I used the lever
    Revolution
    last year but they wouldnt cycle

Default Lever Evolution

I have a marlin 1894 in .44 mag. I tried the lever evolution in it, wouldn't cycle worth a darn, and were really hard to get through the loading gate and into the magazine without them hanging up. But in my 1895 .45-70 they work good.

420 or 540 gr Garrett Hammerheads, either will be more than enough for brown or black bear.

I use a single shot so the Hornady Lever Revolution works fine.Brown bear country I carry BB 440 in the gun but switch to the Hornady for the shot on blacks or deer.

Default What gun are you using?

With the 45-70 cartridge fitting modern high powered firearms AND relic low pressure firearms designed for black powder propellant your question can not be answered without first identifying the gun you plan to use.

Tell us what you're shooting and we'll give a proper answer.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

I personally prefer jacketed over hard cast. I load a 350 grain Swift A-Frame over 50.0 grains of H4198 and crimp well. It's a little over 2100 fps in my 1895.

Another bullet I like, but haven't tried, is the 350 grain North Fork. When my stash of A-Frames run out I'll be giving them a try.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Try a box of Buffalo Bore 350 gr Jacketed hard cast bullets. Didn't like the pattern I got w/ the 420 hard cast though. The 350's group identically at 100 yds like my Remington 405 gr and 325 gr Hornady Leverevolutions. Took my last 2 bears (black) w/ BB 350's. Ist one I shot her thru both shoulders, completely shattered both, second was adown hill shot and I pinned him to the ground at 30 yds 1 shot. They're one of the hottest them and Garrett's. I shoot em out of my Marlin 1895G, make sure your rifle can handle the pressures of the 45-70 Magnums.

Thumbs up try...

Put a 405 grain Kodiak bonded core jacketed bullet from Alaska Bullet Works on top of 54 grains of H322. Keep the range under 100 yards and kill a big old bear!

I shoot the 405gr Buffalo Bore out of my Guide Gun and love it. Waaaayyyyy out performs the Lever Evolution on brown bears IMO. Save the Lever Evolution for your moose, deer, and black bears.

We had a close call with a young boar (7.5ft) while fishing silvers from a sand bar in Cordova. Right at last light he got a little too bold and started bluff charging a friend and I. My partner had a tag and was looking for a decent bear to do a full standing mount on and decided to take him. He was shooting Lever Evolutions and from 20yds it still took multiple shots (5) to put the bear down. We even found some copper in the bears upper lip where one of the rounds had shattered and sent the jacket flying wild.

Hey thanks for all the info i Have an 1895 marlin its not the guide gun the mine is a bit longer . i have mounted a scout scope on the gun and love it

Ditto the offerings by Garrett Cartridge Company.

Hammerheads or Super Jack

Taylor

Wink

My Guide gun Likes 550 Grain WFNGC Hard cast with a good stout load of H322 .
    Good stuff .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif