Thread: Yakutat or Kodiak in August

Wink Yakutat or Kodiak in August

Trying to make a decision on Yakutat or Kodiak in August for ocean, stream fishing and attractions in the area. In checking the two locations it seems like Yakutat is little more expensive. Need to watch the money due to a tight budget.
    Did POW last year and had a great time, but would like to see a differant area of AK.
    Any comments or suggestions on the two locations from folks on the forum would be great.

Default Kodiak for less...

Kodiak offers two distinct areas of budget considerations in being a less expensive trip than Yukatat. They are simply "getting there" and "getting around".

As far as getting there, a traveler not from Alaska will now find that due to code sharing, there are airlines that offer direct ticketing all the way to Kodiak. A couple of examples would be Delta and American. Both now partner with Alaskan Air. Direct ticketing is always less cost than segmented carrying.

As far as getting around, there is about 100 miles of road system on Kodiak. Many of these arteries will lead you to decent fishing that you can do on your own. Unguided fishing is always less cost than guided.

Those considerations are quite noteworthy, to say nothing of being able to take stock of supplies with a Safeway and Walmart right in town. As far as acommodation costs go, they are at par with mainland costs.

Kodiak Fishing at Any Angle is in the bookstore of this site. There is even a free chapter that you can click and read. It is the only book dedicated soley to the fishery on this island.

The Emerald Isle choice is quite spectacular...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Never been to yakutat in august so can't really speak on that

However Kodiak in august is special in so many ways. You can have great fishing offshore for halibut and salmon and inshore saltwater and freshwater. Early part of august is the peak of saltwater chums (and for those who have never hooked a dime bright chum in salt on the fly rod or spinning tackle your missing out on the best fight from any salmon in alaska imo, they frankly put a silver to shame) a few fresh pinks which are fun on light tackle and some great dolly fishing all month including some killer dry fly fishing, and in late august awesome silver fishing off the beaches as well as some early river and late coho action.

also deer season opens in august so needless to say i have way too many choices in august

btw don't waste money on the afforementioned books.

They have some good basic (and i mean basic as many authors of alaskan books don't even live here which means it's impossible for them to know as much as a local and they rely alot on information from locals who are not gonna give anything but basic info) information but they cost money and u can get the same basic info for free by looking through this site or several others or you can pm me or some other kodiak locals. No im not gonna give out every secret but as a guy who's fished at least 100 days here for 12 straight year i can give you information that it's not so secret but would be a revelation of knowledge, intuitivness and effectiveness in those books, once again free of charge!

For the record. Alaska Airlines flies into Yakutat twice a day, once from Seattle (11am) once from Anchorage (6pm). I think Yakutat is one of the least expensive places to fish in AK. Granted everything costs more than the lower 48, but I have spent more in Kodiak on ground needs than I do in Yakutat. We don't have cell phone service, stop lights, or hustle and bustle of Kodiak. Way less people, sporties and residents. Twenty minutes from the best Alaska Saltwater fishing. Yakutat is a very unique place, and definately worth checking out if you're not into crowds of people. We are what most people think of when they dream of Alaska, but very accessible. an idea on Aug. price: $2500 6days/ 7 nights inc. room, meals, guides (ocean, river and/ or flyouts) and a rental car for your stay.

No question kodiak has more people and visitors than yakutat but hustle and bustle is a little strong imo. If your willing to do some walking you can get some pretty awesome fishing all to your self. And even the crowded fishing is not that bad especially compared to say south central. especially with fishing from the beaches for silvers as many people wait till early septetember when there are lots of fish in the river and lake. I've had whole beaches to myself in mid to late august and usually don't kill it number wise especially compared to september but can pull out 3 to 6 silvers that are in their absolute prime fight wise. hardly any one fishes for dollies and you can walk up some of the rivers and catch 25 inch or bigger fish and if you have company it's more likely to be a bear than a person!

Also i think the saltwater fishing is just as good as yakutat especially when u tak BIG halibut and more variety as well. Yakutat only has a few rivers and lakes accessible by road, kodiak has around 15 rivers all with good fishing accessible by road, about 30 or so lakes and too many beaches to count.

There is no denying kodiak is cool! I have spent quite a bit of time there, and love it. I was there fishing and enjoyed the hustle and bustle of it all. Comming from Homer it was great. Yakutat is unique in that, I fish for halibut in 50 or so feet of water most of the season and do very well. The silver fishing here is great, ther is alot of flyout opportunity, as there is in Kodiak. Our prices include flyouts, so there isn't a hidden fee. Yakutat is very reasonable price wise. I just got an email from a client comming up at the end of June from Seattle $450 roundtrip.... tough to beat, on a 737 jet! I've fished the rivers around here at the paek of Silver season and too have not seen a soul. We're in 3A so it's a 2 halibut per day limit, as is Kodiak. No street lights, McDonalds, cell service, traffic....just you and the fish

what no mcdonalds how do you survive lol

The highlight of our vacations is Wendy's at SEATAC! Maybe some Chinese food, bowling, and a movie in a movie theater.
    Don't get me wrong I love Kodiak! Yakutat is different... more like Old Harbor.