Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ....budgeting for your hunt.....

Default ....budgeting for your hunt.....

....how do you all save and"cut corners" to help budget for your hunts...and hunting equipment?

-off the top of my head...

-we wash out used ziplocs, and set aside for use in our packs-
    -collect oatmeal packets, ramen packs,candy from Halloween- - (-No,we don't steal the kids' candy-lol) throughout the year-
    -we eat out maybe 2 or 3 times a year(kind of easy to refrain, in Seward, though-)
    -make and vaccuum seal jerky
    -No drive-through coffee
    -try to buy Christmas gifts for the next year, right after the season-
    -check out the the Army Navy store
    -we try to set aside $100/month for the "hunt fund"

-any other ideas?

....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

For me being self employed I work harder knowing I have a planned hunt coming up or in need of new gear. Besides that we mostly eat in (home cooking better then most restaurants anyways)
    Plus having a 2 year old stops any bar action $$
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default LOL

I HAVE 2 TEENAGE GIRLS .enough said.lol we eat at home for most meals ,we were yard sale or bargin clothes n shoes till they were slap out me n wife work 2 jobs .and ive started to put back alitle she money..

I can afford it because my $250 Nikon spotting/bushnell rifle scope are just a clear as my friends $1500 set of Zeiss optics. My used Ruger 77 shoots just as straight as his Kimber Montana in 300superawesomekillanything MAGNUM, and ammo is half the price. My 95' snowmachine is paid for and gets me to the same spots as his $6K 2009 model does. When I'm downwind the animal doesn't know I'm wearing military issue long undies and socks and not scent lock. But if my buddy is upwind, he still gets busted sometimes.

Basically, I have a friend that MUST have top end stuff. He works his butt off to get it but by the time he finishes working for it, he has no time to hunt. Poor guy.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default ...'till it hurts.

I just spend until it hurts.
    Aircraft support is my painful expense.

Default Choices

I think right now just having a budget and making sound finacial moves is important.

I agree with the above sentiment......buy and pay 100% for what you can afford.

To afford my 2010 hunts:
    Sent my Danners back to be recrafted instead of buying a new pair.
    Bought and installed a used outboard by myself
    In general I've cared for misc. gear trying to squeeze out another season.
    I've sent back optics to get serviced (Nikon, Leupold)
    Created a seperate savings account with auto deposit for hunting.
    Reload ammo
    Buy bulk Mountain House

I don't use a fancy boat or rifle. In fact I don't even tow it with a truck, the family minivan works quite well here in Sitka. It's all about when the boots hit the ground. I still like my techno stuff and use it but I'm not willing to mess up my budget for the latest and greatest because a 180g bullet traveling at 2,500 ft/sec is just that! A boat running at 22 knots, well maintained and reliable is gonna get you there and back.

Transport is the major deal! Save your coin and budget for good transport to those special remote locations. Plan ahead with your PFD, Tax Return, ect.......

It's all about priorities. Communicate with your spouse and make it know well ahead of time your gonna be spending large sums on hunting. Do it every year and don't waiver. The year you slack off and he/she gets an extra vacation or shopping spree you'll never get it back.

Are you a successful sheep huntress? If so...............betcha got some legally saleable animal parts that could be sold to help finance another hunt.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

To control cost I try to buy quality products the first time and then I don't have to spend more money later to replace an inferior product. Then I try to maintain my equipment and make it last. My boat is a 1980 model, my truck is a 1986, my rifles were made prior to 1964, and I normally wear old blue jeans and t-shirts that are burned before coming home.

We eat very well off the game we hunt and the fish we catch and dinner is just a trip to the freezer - I look at filling the freezer as a way of life rather than "going hunting" therefore it is a necessity.

Works for me - my story and I am sticking to it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

GOOD DEAls on the swap and sell forum!

camo fire!

and i go hunting untill i am done.. the travel is what eats up our cost.. so we only go once if we can... and stay the duration
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Seldom buy anything new and if new on a very good sale.I have enough ammo to last out my years and guns to do anything I need to do,don't take much. Hunting trips themselfs cost maybe a gallon or two of gas. Last year I mostly just walked from the house to the woods

Corners I cut.....hmmmm.

Well if flying commerical from one major hub to another I use my airline miles with AK airlines which saves some $$$.

Constantly looking for deals of things I am looking to upgrading for a long time (be it being used or new). When I find the deal make sure I have the funds set aside to pounce on the right deal when it comes along.

Sell the stuff I upgraded from for a good price.

Never buy motor toys new, sno-gos and wheelers are always off of craigslist.

Buy my freeze died food in bulk.

When possible try to maximize the efficiency of air transportation by taking as many people in on the flight as possible (example of beaver flight in Kodiak) much cheaper split 4 ways instead of two even if you are paying for more weight for the same flight.

But my far my biggest way of saving for hunting season is not having kids as of yet. Once I do I may have to budget a little more conservatively, thus my excuse to buy all my quailty toys in advance.

One thing I never do is work extra days for $$$. If I ever get to a point where I'd have to give up days off to afford my toys I better be to re-evaluating my priorities as time off is worth more to me than $$$. Hard to hunt from work with all the toys in the closet and extra $$$ in the bank. However, nothing wrong with working an extra week in Jan or Feb to be able to have an extra week off in Aug or Sept.

I only buy things that pertain to hunting/fishing/gathering/transportation......the 7 kids are Extra.....~~LOL!!~~

Milsurp rocks!! Made for the outdoors, cheap and usually of quality, in guns, ammo, tents, containers, bags, stoves,tools, socks and boots.
    Sportsmans guide and Amazon have stuff to pick over.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Are you a successful sheep huntress? If so...............betcha got some legally saleable animal parts that could be sold to help finance another hunt.
    ...successful only because I love it up above timberline more than I can say;
    I never feel more alive than when I am hunting-
    -especially sheep-
    -and,exploring the Kenai mountains that I cherish and call home-

-I'm unsuccessful in the respect that I have hunted sheep for eight years and never shot one-
    -I have posted that before-

-I wouldn't sell any part of a sheep, anyway; I just couldn't-

-thankyou for asking, though-
    -nothing against your question,though, Martentrapper-
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Great thread - I haven't found any good way to save money - between house repairs, kids, doctors and finally getting outfitted for outdoor trips I'm broke! Except eating out that's about the only thing we've tried to curtail. Still I spin the idea of spending money on my outdoor equipment as a spiritual thing and a way to more easily/comfortably pass the love of the outdoors and respect of the animals we hunt to our kids. Well, that's I guess how I justify spending money I shouldn't! Great thread - let's keep it going.

buy quality gear preferably life time warranty

put money away for the huning fund i also make a fishing fund

dont spend money you dont need to.

you can have all the money in the world and no time, or all the time in the world and no money.

We're so broke with two teenagers and one ten year old that there isn't much saving going on. I fund my trips (and pay for other bills we can't catch up on) by working more. I try to pick up as many jobs for the equipment I own as I can after hours and on weekends. Trucking equipment around, hauling logs, hauling fertilizer for local farmers, you name it.. that combined with the Alaska Airlines miles my business c.c. accumulates make it possible for us to do a fly-in trip every two years or so.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Budget

I guess it all depends on where your hunting and what your hunting, lots of variables there...

I think the only way to cut corners on hunting is not to hunt at all....its all expensive even if your road hunting sometimes locally. As far as plane trips, like AKsheephuntress stated: a $100/ per month saved for one year, would not even pay for one sheep hunt via Supercub.

Default Funding

One thing that quite a few folks do at my place is start sending money as soon as they book. May not be realistic for some trips but if you hire a charter or air taxi or guide, try making payments. I get lots of checks of $2-500 from folks making payment on their trips. Buy flights in February, pay some with tax return, a few more payments in early summer and you're fishing! Makes sense as it lessens the blow come arrival.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default Plan and Save...

Coming from outta state adds another expense (transport to/from AK), so when I'm leaving AK, I try to decide what I want to hunt the next time I'm able to hunt (it works out to about every other year, trying to get back to every year schedule). I set up a separate account in October, and start plugging money into it. I have a pretty good idea of overall hunt costs (based on my preferences) from doing several hunts over the past decade, so I set a target figure and start saving 12 months out.

Also I don't waste much money - still have a color TV I bought in 1987, only have 5 rifles, don't buy much new gear unless I don't have that gear already, bring lunch to work, etc. Many people would be surprised how much money they waste, if they stopped for a month and saved that money.

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    -I wouldn't sell any part of a sheep, anyway; I just couldn't-
    -

I got lots of body parts I would like to sell.........Most are spawned-out....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast