Thread: Gulkana videos on Youtube

Default Gulkana videos on Youtube

this may have already been posted, but I just recently found it.

Default and this one.

one more

Default Gulkana

I love it! Talk about breaking all of the rules to a safe and smart run down the rappids!

Let us count the mistakes>>>>>

Run the rapids empty, portage the gear!
    Scout the rapids
    Run the middle section and the Picket Fence on River Right
    Ditch the extra people so that way some one will be dry and be able to assist you when things go bad!

I worked for the BLM back in the 90's and we use to sit at the canyon for a week over the 4th of July and act as lifeguards. We saw a few of these types of groups who failed the common sense test, we tossed they a rescue line anyway!

The canyon is a playground and is not dangerous but you need to give your self a chance at success!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    New in 2010! Rafts and Camps
    907-822-4290
    Right on the river!

Walt,

I'm learning, so when you say "picket fence, run the river on the right". do you mean these rafts should have gone to the other side of the rock that was causing them so much grief?

thanks,

I wonder if (in the first video) they ever found the bag that splashed off the bow at the 2 minute mark...Usually the stuff at the guys feet that is in small drybags, like the one that washed out, is the spendy camera type gear.

Good video on how not to handle a raft.....Especially considering that has to be one of the most gucci portages in the State....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Same dude both times

Interesting it is the same older gent up front and same younger gent running the boat and the same bad line both times. I have spent a lot of time in there and never seen a new Star or Ach on the river well with the exception of last year. I hope those two are not charging people for that fun ride.

:-)

Anyone know what it is?

Dunno 'Moose. But I was noting that they seemed to be sporting the kinda camp gear ya don't commonly see amongst recreational floaters......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

funniest thing i have seen today or most likely even this month.

that is not really handling of a raft.

more like manhandling of a raft by a river. they are lucky to be on the gulkana.

Notice that the oarsman seems to be begging to be on shore as judged by his oar strokes. (well, when doing anything other than sort of dipping the oars in the water to keep them wet before smacking into rocks)

cannot help but think that the very real moral is that the river does not care about you. at all.

i had a learning experience starting this float once a few years ago. was dry fishing some skeeters while leaving paxson lake with 2 others in the raft. they wanted to keep floating (i would have anchored for the whole day in that stretch) so i just poached the holes as we moved through.

friend steering his raft wasn't fond of my fishing (i just think he was spinning the boat too much) but i caught two or three grayling and then him in the eyelid. (at least it was a small hook)

anyhow i don't fish when he's paddling anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ORbill View Post
    Walt,

I'm learning, so when you say "picket fence, run the river on the right". do you mean these rafts should have gone to the other side of the rock that was causing them so much grief?

thanks,
    I should not give these guys a tough time as my first time through had its moments. The rock garden in the middle turns into 2-3 big rock commonly called the Picked Fence. If you try running the fence on River Left where these guys were you have a tough time lining up for the drop at the falls. We always set up in the middle to the right of that rock that ate that raft and worked to River Right to get a clean shot over the falls. You can run River Middle in higher water but River Left is what it is , a nightmare!

We have so much fun laughing at other folks problems! Life can suck. How many of those guys took a bath and how much of that gear went in?

Default Your Correct

Should not give them to hard of time unless they are charging people then we should feel free to blast them a little.

I always go middle and use the rocks till the fence and push the wall river right put the breaks on and wrap the backside and set the stage back to the middle seems the least amount of work with the least amount of trouble.

I have run up to 10 people in 18ft raft at one time through there for fun or what I was thinking was fun than said that was not fun to much weight during low water. Light loads easy pickens but never River Left unless it was at Flood Stage then it is just fun!

Oh Look a Rock! Such a nice Rock! Good thing the Gulls and Terns could not have crapped on it yet. I think I will park on it and fish for a couple of days!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Should not give them to hard of time unless they are charging people then we should feel free to blast them a little.

I always go middle and use the rocks till the fence and push the wall river right put the breaks on and wrap the backside and set the stage back to the middle seems the least amount of work with the least amount of trouble.

I have run up to 10 people in 18ft raft at one time through there for fun or what I was thinking was fun than said that was not fun to much weight during low water. Light loads easy pickens but never River Left unless it was at Flood Stage then it is just fun!

Oh Look a Rock! Such a nice Rock! Good thing the Gulls and Terns could not have crapped on it yet. I think I will park on it and fish for a couple of days!

Too Funny!