Thread: ...Question on hand position....

Default ...Question on hand position....

...went to the range yesterday...

- not very happy with myself with how I shot -
    -it had been a while since shooting a revolver-

-kind of simplistic question: are there differing hand positions generally accepted for handling semi-autos vs. revolvers?
    ....or, for shooting lower vs. a higher caliber?
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Revolver and auto have a different shape so do take a slightly different grip and there are many variations involved here. Rather than confuse you I think it best that you read how it's explained by one of the very best, Jerry Miculek. Here is his breakdown of revolver grip with photos.

http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/.../miculek2.html
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Revolver and auto have a different shape so do take a slightly different grip and there are many variations involved here. Rather than confuse you I think it best that you read how it's explained by one of the very best, Jerry Miculek. Here is his breakdown of revolver grip with photos.

http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/.../miculek2.html
    ....thankyou for not confusing me......

-this is a very helpful link!
    -thankyou-

-I've been positioning my non-firing hand palm-up... under the stock and my firing hand...like an upside-down T-

-has seemed to work in the past with a .22 pistol, but not yesterday with the .44 Colt Anaconda...
    -no wonder I've felt like I've had little control...

-I'll post how things go at the range, next week-
    -thanks again!
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

What Jerry says but he does have fair sized hands

Jerry also has very powerful forearms and a grip like a vise. It is an excellent teacher and has many good pointers for all. Thanks for that link Andy, I like that. I've watched the guy in action and you would swear that he is on fast forward. A great guy that loves the game.

Revolvers are more difficult to grasp. They work so much better with grips to fit the hand. I don't care for the rubber or synthetic grips but some do have very advanced shape to fit the hand. You might consider a grip (the guns grip) change. There is no one size fits all. Practice more often will help a little too. Are you shooting a large caliber gun?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

She’s shooting a 44 Anaconda. Good call on the guns grips, I was just about to post that.

I have watched him a couple times in competition. I also got to watch him go through 9 guns in something like 25 seconds without a ten ring miss from 25 yards, the man is a robot!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Here are some of his videos. One is where the pics and transcript came from.

http://www.myoutdoortv.com/pdk/web/s...manhJ0KNWQYqM4

That is as good as it gets for how to grip the gun. I know you didn't ask but if you are having trouble making good hits on target I have a little trick I use to learn trigger control. Load only 2 or 3 cyls in a staggered patteren and leave empties in the other cyls. This will show trigger control problems the first time it goes click instead of bang. There's only two parts to shooting a handgun. First is putting the sights on target and second, the hard one, holding the sights on target through the squeeze. An Anaconda, wow, I should be so lucky. Love Colt DAs.

An Anaconda! My gosh girl couldn't you find something bigger.

As I'm sure you are aware, a well established basic skill set, grip, sight, trigger, with a lesser caliber will lead to better work with the big guns. Also becoming strangers with your gun, over time, doesn't help much. Absence makes the heart go fonder but the group grow larger. I know ammo is expensive but dedication to the task and lots of time on the range with good basics pays dividends. Enjoy!!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

And just in case you donít already know, working on the fundamentals using 44 special ammo in it will help in mastering it also. I'm not a 44 guy but I could make do with it in an Anaconda.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona