Thread: Whiz Banger Leech?

Default Whiz Banger Leech?

I am trying to figure out this pattern but I am running into some bumps in relation to the eyes of the fly, what the heck are they? I seem to think that they are either bead chain or dumbell but it makes it very difficult to tie the bunny up in front of it, or is there some trick to it? Either way would someone be willing to straighten me out or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Jarred Behrendt

Looks like some kind of dumbell eyes to me, tie em how you like em though, be creative and design the fly for how you want it to fish...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've not seen a Whiz Banger leech in person, and the pictures I can find online aren't the best. But from what I can tell, it looks like the "official" pattern uses Spirit River I-Balz.
    http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

As for tying the rabbit strip on... make one wrap very close behind the eyes, cross over the top of the eyes to the front... make one more wrap as close to the front of the eyes as you can. Tie off. When you tie in the egg, brush the rabbit hair back and tie the egg in snug against the eyes.

Like AKPM mentioned, any brass or lead dumbell style eyes you have handy will work just fine. I'd shy away from using bead chain, unless you add a liberal amount of lead wire under the body, as rabbit is fairly bouyant and you need some weight to help get it down. Be creative - it's your fly, tailor it as you see fit.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Sounds good, I am still having a bit of trouble getting the strip infront of the eyes (but it doesnt really matter). I like the pattern with it ending behind the eyes and using some glo bug material to make the egg. Thanks for all of the help guys!

Well this is what I was able to come up with, it looks pretty good but I still havent mastered getting the hair infront of the eyes (if it really matters). What do you think?

I think it looks pretty good, I guess the fish will be the judges.

Jarred - that fly looks awesome! It'll do the job. I'd fish that fly with confidence.

Things have been a bit busy my way lately, but if I have some time to kill I'll mess aroung with wrapping rabbit around the lead eyes and see if I can help you get the look you're after. But you could tie a couple dozen of those just as they are and every one would be killer.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.