Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 156

Thread: Would you turn someone into the fish cops

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    607

    Default Would you turn someone into the fish cops

    if you witnessed them killing game out of season, if they really needed it. I wouldn't, I know people that live in the bush without freezer's, they have to shoot their game after season, every year so it doesn't spoil.

    I can see shooting a deer from time to time in southeast if you lived remote without a freezer.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Yes I would, with out hesitation.

    You're a charter captain, I can't afford more than one charter a year so its ok if I take more than my limit of halibut. After all, I can't afford to go back out. Same thing, you wouldn't condone that so why poaching?

  3. #3
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    We are a society of rules. The game rules are there for a very specific reason and they apply to everyone.

    Yes... turn in every poacher the same as you'd turn in every drunk driver.

    "Need" isn't a justification for breaking the law. There are many good ways to preserve meat for great lengths of time without a freezer. That's not an excuse at all.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Yes I would, with out hesitation.

    You're a charter captain, I can't afford more than one charter a year so its ok if I take more than my limit of halibut. After all, I can't afford to go back out. Same thing, you wouldn't condone that so why poaching?
    Bad comparison, If you can afford a charter, you don't need Halibut to survive. Most hunters don't need the game they shoot to survive, They just like the meat and like to hunt,

    Some people really need the meat to survive the winter, These are the folks I'm talking about.

  5. #5
    Member Alaskantrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    valley
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Well if deer season runs for the most part until December 31 then it should be cold enough in season, not too have too poach a deer. Turn in all out of season hunters as this effects all of us in the long run, future seasons and bag limits.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    335

    Default Personally I would think they would know that they are taking a risk

    secondly they might not caree if it is a trophy size animal or not, poverty and desperation can make a man not care any more about the risk.
    The problem is every thing is subject to abuse , and there are those whom would play loupe holes in giving any one exception. I know that there is a fear of reprocussion for turning some one in, but if they were stealing from you wou you be silent?
    There for If I knew the people and thier living conditions I might share the freezer space with them, and reinforce the knoweldge of the law with them , but as for breaking the law I would not dare to be judge a jurry , but let the local atourities be aware of what is going on. And may be so far as individual cases are concerned they may have leaniency, and an exceptional license or extra tag to that effect.
    If I were living in a remote situation there, I certainly would be researching alternative sources of refridgeration or otherwise preserving meat and other foods as well. there is canning , very primitive but it works. and jearky, I was wondering about the perma frost in the ground how deep it is , under ground celler would be a cool place .

  7. #7

    Default

    If someone is taking fish or game to feed their family I say let them alone. If they are wasting game or just shooting trophies nail their butt to the wall.
    Chuck

  8. #8

    Default

    A licensed charter captain that thinks rules only apply to some people some of the time... WOW. where would I even begin?

  9. #9
    Member Phish Finder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Searching for more cowbell!
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    Out of curiosity, do you guys turn people in for speeding?
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

    "People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    if you witnessed them killing game out of season, if they really needed it. I wouldn't, I know people that live in the bush without freezer's, they have to shoot their game after season, every year so it doesn't spoil.

    I can see shooting a deer from time to time in southeast if you lived remote without a freezer.
    If you personally witnessed it with your own eyes, you'd be fine to turn them in if it really bothered you. They obviously aren't very smart about it if they are letting people witness them poaching.

    If it's just hearsay, I'd say mind your own business.

  11. #11
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post

    Some people really need the meat to survive the winter,
    I'll call BS on that. If you can afford the equipment to hunt the out of season game, you don't need the meat to SURVIVE!
    If you cannot afford to buy food, it is unlikely you can afford the cost of getting to game, killing it, transporting it home, etc.
    If you cannot afford to buy food, there are state and federal programs available to provide you that food.
    There are also friends and families!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  12. #12
    Member MNViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you guys turn people in for speeding?
    Well played. I think however, you have tried to simplify a complex issue by using a hard case. I will attempt to oversimplify back. 99% of people speed so I don't report it. 99% of people don't poach game so I would report it.

    A better question would have been, is it immoral to speed to the hospital when your wife is in labor?
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I'll call BS on that. If you can afford the equipment to hunt the out of season game, you don't need the meat to SURVIVE!
    If you cannot afford to buy food, it is unlikely you can afford the cost of getting to game, killing it, transporting it home, etc.
    If you cannot afford to buy food, there are state and federal programs available to provide you that food.
    There are also friends and families!

    Agreed.. It's kinda like people pulling their 30 hook halibut "subsistence" skates with their 100k boats....(grin)

  14. #14

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Well played. I think however, you have tried to simplify a complex issue by using a hard case. I will attempt to oversimplify back. 99% of people speed so I don't report it. 99% of people don't poach game so I would report it.

    A better question would have been, is it immoral to speed to the hospital when your wife is in labor?
    Let's take it up a complex notch: Is it immoral to poach when your wife is hungry?

    I mean after all, there are obvious options for both senarios. Of which come to mind in the case of the pregnant wife, you could simply pull over and deliver the baby yourself. In the hungry wife deal, you could simply go to the soup line and get her some grub. But...99% of the people take the immoral path, according to a state official I spoke with.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Let's take it up a complex notch: Is it immoral to poach when your wife is hungry?

    I mean after all, there are obvious options for both senarios. Of which come to mind in the case of the pregnant wife, you could simply pull over and deliver the baby yourself. In the hungry wife deal, you could simply go to the soup line and get her some grub. But...99% of the people take the immoral path, according to a state official I spoke with.
    Unlawful yes immoral no way.
    Chuck

  16. #16
    Member Phish Finder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Searching for more cowbell!
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Is it immoral to poach when your wife is hungry?
    Well played
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

    "People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

  17. #17
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Let's take it up a complex notch: Is it immoral to poach when your wife is hungry?

    I mean after all, there are obvious options for both scenarios. Of which come to mind in the case of the pregnant wife, you could simply pull over and deliver the baby yourself. In the hungry wife deal, you could simply go to the soup line and get her some grub. But...99&#37; of the people take the immoral path, according to a state official I spoke with.
    Hmm

    Hasn't it always been that way up here? most forget that Alaska is only 50 years old really...

    The states heritage is based on subsistence use.. it is really only the last 20 years or so that the influence of outside, mentality has really started pushing on our doors. I really don't expect any one that moves from the states to ANCH. to understand any of the the finesse of Alaskan Cultures.. as is evident in the previous threads on the rural issues of hunting..


    but for decades if you missed in the fall Home stead season stared the day after the regular season and in MANY area's of the state still does.. and in many areas as used to be.. the trooper would brush the moose hair off your collar and sit down to dinner with you.... letting you know he was doing his job...BUT.....


    lets NOT discount the fact that there are Federal subsistence hunts in progress ACROSS the state, as well even a few moose hunts open... and to many that do not know.. would appear to be Poaching..


    as for Capt t's comment...


    I have a neighborer who starts shooting EVERY night about 9 pm...

    seems he has a new night vision he LOVES to play with
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  18. #18

    Default Just my opinion.... and we know what I think about opinions!

    I'm in agreement with Hiline. I've had to do it and if I ever have to again I hope nobody would turn me in. Especially if you know the person really is doing it out of necessity. That would be a pretty sorry person to turn somebody in knowing they were in a bad way, instead of bringing them some food or helping them out in some way. Oh, and "going to the soup kitchen" isn't always an option, neither is turning to family. Comments like that come from people who have obviously never gone hungry before.
    "Grab your bow and let's go!"

  19. #19
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK_Hoytgirl View Post
    I'm in agreement with Hiline. I've had to do it and if I ever have to again I hope nobody would turn me in. Especially if you know the person really is doing it out of necessity. That would be a pretty sorry person to turn somebody in knowing they were in a bad way, instead of bringing them some food or helping them out in some way. Oh, and "going to the soup kitchen" isn't always an option, neither is turning to family. Comments like that come from people who have obviously never gone hungry before.

    +1........
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  20. #20
    Member Phish Finder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Searching for more cowbell!
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    I'm in the "No" column unless the perpetrator is an ********.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

    "People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •