Thread: varmit/target shooting

Default varmit/target shooting

I recently bought a Remington 700 Police Tactical in .223 with a 26in barrell. I have yet to shoot it and was wondering if there is anyone out there who can give me some help with ammo selection. I have been told that a 62 grain bullet would be the best for this model of rifle. However, 55 grain is much more readily available at stores from what I have found. Also, any thoughts on a 45 grain bullet? I intend to do some occasional varmit hunting but will mostly use this rifle for target shooting at ranges up to 300 yards. Thanks for any input you provide. weapon I have was bought from the link below.

http://ombguns.com/LE/Catalog.aspx?id=37

I shoot 55 gr Amax in mine and it works very well. J.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerheave View Post
    Also, any thoughts on a 45 grain bullet? I intend to do some occasional varmit hunting but will mostly use this rifle for target shooting at ranges up to 300 yards.

http://ombguns.com/LE/Catalog.aspx?id=37
    I don't have any experience with that rifle, but I do a whole lot of sod poodle popping in the Southwest with the 223 each spring. It's breezy, and at times windy. On such small targets the 45 grain bullets are a no-go past about 200 yards due to wind drift. The 55's are a lot better, and I'd expect 62's to be that much better.

For factory ammo, just buy a box each of what is available to you, and see what your rifle prefers. For handloads, I find the 50 gr hornady v-max shoots quite well out of my Rem 700 .223 as well as my RRA predator persuit.