Thread: Montana Rifle Company

Default Montana Rifle Company

I'm on a quest to send my kids inheritance, so I'm considering ordering a custom rifle. Been looking at the customs built by MRC. Anyone has any experience with these??? Still in search of the perfect alpine rifle.

Steve

Owned 5-6 over the course of the last five years or so but sold off a couple to fund another build.
    Working on my wifes rifle as we speak which is a .308 with a Shilen barrel sitting in a McMillan stock. I still own a 35 Whelen SS one with a Lilja barrel in a McMillan stock.

Every action purchased worked wonderfully and have no complaints at all. IMO the bottom metal is better than what Winchester offers.

However, if you are building a lightweight rifle they do not make a good choice as they are heavy for their size.

Thumbs up from me as far as the actions are concerned, however I never seen one of their complete rifles built in house. They seem kinda pricey for what you end up with and you can save some money by buying the action and barrel and having your local smith put it together then order the stock of your choice.
    Tennessee

The MRC's are good actions, a little heavy due to casting but a good design, well a pre-64. I have I guess two rifles mode on the actions. One a 338 WSM and a 375 something or other I guess a 375 Lott. (The 458 Lott necked to take .375" bullets and a 20 degree shoulder.) This is a full length belted mag. I have had no problems with them but have seen a few rifles with some problems, minor and actually shipped with the wrong parts. Though that sounds bad it isn't. The actions are adjusted for cartridge length with bolt stop and magazine box size, and once the right parts were put in things worked fine. Some were a little rough feeding but ccan be slicked up easy enough. The have the wonderful old Winchester trigger and 3 position safety, the breeching system pretty much Winchester (pre-64).

For a mountain rifle, given the price of a MRC vs used pre-64 action, I'd try for the old Winnie. They are a bit lighter in weight but a little action weight isn't bad. An M98 is also lighter in weight and an old FN sears rifle action will be fine, $400-$500 for an old sears. Good luck with the project.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I'm on a quest to send my kids inheritance, so I'm considering ordering a custom rifle. Been looking at the customs built by MRC. Anyone has any experience with these??? Still in search of the perfect alpine rifle.

Steve
    Me too

"perfect alpine rifle". Hmmmmmm I often think about this , just not sure if one exists. At least not in factory form, for me.

I like LIGHT mountain rifles!!! So in PF design: You may wanna check out NULA.
    http://www.newultralight.com/
    CRF: Satterlee small ring action with a trim kevlar/carbon fibre stock.
    http://www.satterleearms.com/375_length.htm

Or a nice tight Pre-64 Model 70, with McMillan Edge stock & FW Lothar Walther barrel would certainly come close, in my book!

O baby, what dreams are made of

Quote Originally Posted by 340Wby View Post
    Me too

"perfect alpine rifle". Hmmmmmm I often think about this , just not sure if one exists. At least not in factory form, for me.

I like LIGHT mountain rifles!!! So in PF design: You may wanna check out NULA.
    http://www.newultralight.com/
    CRF: Satterlee small ring action with a trim kevlar/carbon fibre stock.
    http://www.satterleearms.com/375_length.htm

Or a nice tight Pre-64 Model 70, with McMillan Edge stock & FW Lothar Walther barrel would certainly come close, in my book!

O baby, what dreams are made of

I was feeling it until I saw the 11k, what a work of art.
    http://www.satterleearms.com/inventory.htm
    I may have to save up or sell a kidney for that. LOL

Steve

I was feeling it until I saw the 11k, what a work of art.
    http://www.satterleearms.com/inventory.htm
    I may have to save up or sell a kidney for that. LOL

Steve
    Very well priced when one thinks about it. Satterlee actions........

Satterlee Titanium Mauser in a McMillan Hunters EDGE Stock and an octagon stainless barrel. I'm drueling just thinking about it.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default My experience...

[QUOTE=Murphy;674950] Some were a little rough feeding but ccan be slicked up easy enough. The have the wonderful old Winchester trigger and 3 position safety, the breeching system pretty much Winchester (pre-64).

QUOTE]

Actually, the breaching system, in the forward ring, is Mauser, with the internal buttress and square barrel breach. That makes for a mighty fine system, and some would say an improvement over the cone breach of the '03, 1917, and Model 70 Winchesters.
    I've mentioned before, my experience with them. I had them install one of their made-in-house barrels, their number 4 contour, at 26", 1-10 twist .30-06. I had them bead blast it, then blue it. They also 'trued' the action, which pretty much meant squaring the barrel mating surfaces, lapping the lugs and raceway. My trigger adjusts just like the old Model 70. Can't get better than that. Breaks light, clean, no creep, little overtravel, and it doesn't fail.
    I've also put one of their M16A4 mid-length barrels onto a recent AR build, they offer them in the white, with barrel extension for $108 and shipping. Nice barrel, but they have them listed as carbine barrels, when in fact the gas port and mounting surface for the gas block is indeed mid-length. Wasn't a problem, but I'd already ordered carbine gas tube and handguards.......
    REALLY nice folks to deal with. The rifles they have on display in their office are the same ones on their web site. Nice rifles. A bit out of my price range, and I enjoy my own stock work, so.........

[QUOTE=Darreld Walton;675185]
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Some were a little rough feeding but ccan be slicked up easy enough. The have the wonderful old Winchester trigger and 3 position safety, the breeching system pretty much Winchester (pre-64).

QUOTE]

Actually, the breaching system, in the forward ring, is Mauser, with the internal buttress and square barrel breach. That makes for a mighty fine system, and some would say an improvement over the cone breach of the '03, 1917, and Model 70 Winchesters.

You're right. I knew better, that to was one improvement over the coned breech of the M70. It is a better gas seal than the pre-64. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. I got no real complaint with the MRC's
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Stid

I read your posts on the 325 Win 70 you bought - don't they have a lightweight 270 or 7mm mag that might fit the bill? Seems they have an ultralight out or did in 2008 perhaps? I would like one in .280 Rem or 7mm mag for a mtn gun I think - I like your new 325 but I do not need another gun that big at this time...

Default Coned Breach?

What is the downfall of the coned breach. Seems it just improves feeding, and I can't see where it would weaken the action.

Default Well...

The detractors of the cone breach claim it's weaker, and doesn't give as much protection in the event of a rupture. Gotta say that I haven't experienced much more than a pierced/blown primer, and that in an 03-A3, and the Springfield's were notorious for poor gas venting. I still have both eyes, and all of my fingers, and the rifle is still in action. They DO feed nice, and in a compromise, the MRC internal buttress IS beveled, on the back face, to provide some of that help in feeding, and still provide strength to the receiver ring, and a good place for a properly fitted bolt face to index into.
    I've also heard from some that the vaunted "three rings of steel" might not be much more than ad hype, but I've not had one of those come apart, either.
    In any event, I, like you, Murphy, like my MRC quite a bit. Maybe could be a bit nicer rifle than some of my Model 70's! The MRC, I can afford. It ain't a Dakota, but in the upper end of my price range, it's a darned nice rifle.

Okay Guys help me out. Looking for the best round, out of the following, for sheep hunting. Want the flattest shooting with enough energy to kill a sheep up to 500 yards.
    This is what they offer the rifle I'm considering in .243 Win, .257 Roberts, .260 Rem, 7mm-08, and .308 Win.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Okay Guys help me out. Looking for the best round, out of the following, for sheep hunting. Want the flattest shooting with enough energy to kill a sheep up to 500 yards.
    This is what they offer the rifle I'm considering in .243 Win, .257 Roberts, .260 Rem, 7mm-08, and .308 Win.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
    Are you reloading?

The 260 Rem will push 140 bullet @ about 2800 fps

The 7-08 will push a 150 gr bullet @ about 2800 fps

The 308 will push a 165 gr bullet @ about 2800 fps

All close to the the same BC. Basically the same trajectory but of course, you step up cal and weight as you go up. IMO, the 308 will be the best killer followed by the 7-08, followed by the 260, etc....

Yes, I reload leaning towards 7-08.

Steve

Don't forget to check out Christensen Arms @ www.christensenarms.com; superlight rifles. What about the 240 or 257 weatherby. The ultralight Mark V weighs in at 5.75lbs in the 240, 243, 7-08, 280, 25-06, 30-06, 270, and 308 and 6.75 in the 257 wby to 300 wby. A 130 grainer in the 300 wby goes 3650 fps.

308Win, just