Thread: Herters bullets

Default Herters bullets

I picked up 2 boxes of .358 250 grain round nose Herters bullets at a gunshow today. They are a very short round nose, only .050 longer than Speer 220 flat nose that I shoot out of my 350 rem mag. I think they will fit great in the short magazine of my 673. Any body have any load data for these bullets? Also, who made Herters bullets? And what can you tell me about them, when were they not produced anymore?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Thumbs up Norma

Norma made the the bullets for Herters back in the 60's. No they are not made anymore. I have noticed today Herters is making a come back selling ammo! In my 350 mag I use the Speer 250 SP......

I have a 1970 Herters reloading data book. Please note the powders of then MAY be different than today's. If you'd like me to copy and send the data, please PM me with snail mail location.

Herters was the leader in bathroom literature for many years. About 1975 was when they went away. They went back into the duck decoy business about 20 or so years ago, no more catalogs. The text never did seem to change anyway. I still have two boxes of there wasp waist bullets. It hard to believe that Norma ever made this kind of low life bullets? Try to shoot a group with these bullets and you would get better groups with a shotgun.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Try 56.0 grains of H-4895, Remington brass, a Federal 215M match primer, loaded to 2.785 col. If that is too long for your Remington magazine, back off to 55 grains and seat deeper. It gives me 2,545 fps and a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards. Plus it is very clean.

I spent many an hour pouring over the Herters catalog. My first two fishing poles came as kits from Herters. My fly tying outfit. My first rifle-stock blank was a Herters and so were most of the coats, jackets and boots my brothers and I wore in school. They also sold traps at an affordable price. (even pancake mix)

Their by-word was (Hudson Bay's- Worlds Best)
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Thanks

for the information. I'm hoping to get into my reloading room this weekend. I can't wait,its been a while.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!