Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price of Sportfishing

Default Price of Sportfishing

Just a short time ago, oil was under $70/barrel. Today, crude oil is over $80/barrel. Projection by some in the know is that crude will be $100/barrel by end of year.

What will it cost to sportfish this year? Gas and diesel will be expensive for sure but may increase to the point that it will surprise us all.......

Is it time to sell the boat? How do you control your cost of fuel to be able to comfortably afford to sportfish without having to stop by your credit union for a small loan before heading to launch??

I went out and got a better, higher paying job.

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac-chief-51 View Post
    How do you control your cost of fuel to be able to comfortably afford to sportfish without having to stop by your credit union for a small loan before heading to launch??

Easy.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I work 2 extra overtime weeks on the slope to pay for my gas. Hate the extra time away from home, but it pays off in the summer.

My summer job buys my toys and I didn't marry another teacher! Unleaded was up to $5.17 a gallon at the S h i t tier pump. It was busier then, than last season. Lots of money to be spent in this state. It may mean fewer trips with just the family. Might have to bring another family along or not go as far. What price do you put on memories?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

When I return home every day take what ever $1 bills are in my wallet and slip them in an envelope. When the envelope is full it goes to the credit union in a special account. This money is only used for boat gas and diesel fuel to haul the boat. So far we never been able to deplete the account in one summer although we came close. Makes for some painless trips to Homer over the summer.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    When I return home every day take what ever $1 bills are in my wallet and slip them in an envelope. When the envelope is full it goes to the credit union in a special account. This money is only used for boat gas and diesel fuel to haul the boat. So far we never been able to deplete the account in one summer although we came close. Makes for some painless trips to Homer over the summer.

I do the same thing to cover the cost of summer.

I'll never give up my saltwater fishing due to gas prices. The guys with the gas guzzler boats are the ones who really get impacted by higher gas prices. I see them out on the water less and less every year. The guys with the 18-21ft aluminum boats with 4 Stroke power are always out fishing.

It was really bad in 2008 when gas was well over $5. It wasn't that much last year, around $4 I believe.

2 significant parts of the year: Saltwater fishing time, and Sheep season.

Everything else is gravy.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I walk....
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I sponge off the wife.

Default I got my wife hooked on fishing

Actually, I told her we could save so much money if we bought a boat and caught our own fish... Never mind I have five of them now...

I hunt, I fish, I work, I work, I work... Oh I said that already. I just have fun as long as I can with my wife. She also does love to fish and is out there with almost every time so it helps.

Come on Spring...
    Tony

Default Ding ding ding

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post

Actually, I told her we could save so much money if we bought a boat and caught our own fish... Never mind I have five of them now...

I hunt, I fish, I work, I work, I work... Oh I said that already. I just have fun as long as I can with my wife. She also does love to fish and is out there with almost every time so it helps.

Come on Spring...
    It's not must mortgages that enjoy double incomes I exact lots of patience with my girlfriend to let her not only enjoy being out there, but to enjoy getting better at casting, knots, rigging, reading water etc. She's gotten into pretty well and will hopefully only continue to increase. If that means I catch a few less fish than normal, or spend a bunch of time explaining what is second nature anymore to me, so be it. Plus she is okay with me going out alone or with the guys when I want a bit more fastpaced or hardcore experience.

Default same

i did all my christmas shopping for my gf at the local fly shops. spent about 400 and shes ready to go!! She *****es about winter as much as i do now lol
    Go Fish

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    i did all my christmas shopping for my gf at the local fly shops. spent about 400 and shes ready to go!! She *****es about winter as much as i do now lol
    Jose
    No reason to b***h about winter, start ice fishing dude!!!
    If you say nah, I'll never ice fish maybe I will be able to change your mind with some pics at the beginning of April. Stay tuned!!!

Last year the time to go fishing was in shorter comodity than the $. This summer may be the complete opposite situation. I don't see high gas prices deterring me.

My boat runs on Beer
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 05-13-2010 at 12:07.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    My boat runs on Beer
    I think you need a bigger cooler, then!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I'll never give up my saltwater fishing due to gas prices. The guys with the gas guzzler boats are the ones who really get impacted by higher gas prices. I see them out on the water less and less every year. The guys with the 18-21ft aluminum boats with 4 Stroke power are always out fishing.
    Exactly. +1

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I think you need a bigger cooler, then!
    Oh it is just perfect for a day float. 1 12 pack of Alaska white, rum for the wife with a few cokes. Sourdough bread, cheese, and beef jerkey. Yum. Of course during trout season when I have some lush from america or canada on my boat I toss out the food and just pack it full of beer.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast