Thread: Old Town Predator?

Wink Old Town Predator?

Hello,I'm looking to buy a hunting canoe for waterfowl hunting. I hope to use it in the salt marshes, and in the open bays , weather permitting. On some hunts i'll be alone, and others with my son when he is able. Any one have any experience this this model? Trying to chose between the 13'3 and the 16 foot models. Thanks Bill.

Default Canoe

I own a Old Town Discovery 13' 3". It is identical to the predator, except not camo. It is a very stable canoe, and have floated many rivers w/ it. Mine has the three seats, and is very easy to maneauver by myself. It is not very fast on the open water though. It has held up very well despite hitting logs, rocks, etc.

Red face

Thanks Tom, I owned an Old Town 17,'9 years ago, but it was a barge to paddle by yourself. Thanks again for your help. Bill.

Default Old town

TomM, Have you taken the predator down small creeks etc.? I'm wondering how it maneuvers in quick handling situations, I know the flat wide bottom isn't the best for creek running but it does have a big payload which comes in handy for hunting. Any info appreciated......

Default Canoe

I have ran it down willow and the little su. I found the short, flat bottom profile to be favorable. I dont think I would do willow solo, but definetly the little su. Some logs jams/sweepers are unavoidable (atleast at my skill level), that is where a durable shell comes in. Yes, the payload is quite impressive for such a small canoe. I have had mine cubed out w/gear, and water level was safe, comfortable, and still maneuverable.